British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Atlanta bound (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/atlanta-bound-590266/)

nooj Feb 9th 2009 10:26 am

Atlanta bound
 
Found out a few days ago husband been offered job in Atlanta by his compnay. So we are off- 3yr contract we think. Excited but also v.nervous as haven't even been there.

I have a few concerns which might be totally unfair and simply based on ignorant sterotypes- so i'd be really pleased to hear from people who can give me the low-down on living in that part of the world.
first- we are coming from London which I feel is the most cosmopolitan part of the UK- bit anxious about swapping it for the Deep South. I am British Asian and husband is white- I know friends (he white she black) who found some wierd attitudes when they travelled in parts of US.[ I know you get idiots all over the world-but its not a thing you generally run across in middle class London.]

also- God. I am a committed atheist and husband has usual English attitude which is probably believes in a god but would be acutely embarrassed if anyone mentioned it and would move quickly away from them ! Is it going to be tricky to get intergrated without religion?

Would be really keen to hear about peoples views . thank you !!:)

DeanUK2US Feb 9th 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 
People of colour do live in Georgia and appear to do fine. From what I've heard I wouldn't say that it is free of racism, but there is also a good degree of tolerance also. I have a bi-racial cousin out there who appears to be having a great life and have heard nothing untoward from her.

This should be the least of your worries (if you should be having any!) Congratulations, and enjoy your time out there! :thumbsup:

mellybrown Feb 9th 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 

Originally Posted by nooj (Post 7266092)
Found out a few days ago husband been offered job in Atlanta by his compnay. So we are off- 3yr contract we think. Excited but also v.nervous as haven't even been there.

I have a few concerns which might be totally unfair and simply based on ignorant sterotypes- so i'd be really pleased to hear from people who can give me the low-down on living in that part of the world.
first- we are coming from London which I feel is the most cosmopolitan part of the UK- bit anxious about swapping it for the Deep South. I am British Asian and husband is white- I know friends (he white she black) who found some wierd attitudes when they travelled in parts of US.[ I know you get idiots all over the world-but its not a thing you generally run across in middle class London.]

also- God. I am a committed atheist and husband has usual English attitude which is probably believes in a god but would be acutely embarrassed if anyone mentioned it and would move quickly away from them ! Is it going to be tricky to get intergrated without religion?

Would be really keen to hear about peoples views . thank you !!:)

Worry not :eek: we also moved from London to Atlanta - and have loved every minute of it!!! do you know where you are going to be staying?? It is a slower way of life here but we have a busier life it seems, and its MUCH more fulfilling!!! I was also worried about the 8 million churches I saw when we first got here but dont worry - nobody is going to be forcing you to go every sun, actually lots of our friends go to church but thats their lives and they dont enforce it those who dont. Atlanta has all walks of life - rich and poor, black and white - and we really havent seen many effects of racism - where i live there is also a big asian community. what kinds of things do you and your husband like to do - let me know and i'll give you some more local area info :)

nooj Feb 9th 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 
thanks mellybrown- its stupid really- i think i'm still reeling a bit about the whole idea of going. been trying to get my head around various neighbourhoods- i've heard that commutes can be quite bad. Husb. will be working slightly to the north and west of city centre. we've got 2 children 3yrs and 5yrs and therefore schools and family type area will be key.

We all love city type things really- urban parks, festivals, concerts etc. but it will be quite fun to try and become a bit more out doorsy as the surrounds of atlanta look amazing.

where's good to live wld you say? did you get in with an expat group of people?

mellybrown Feb 9th 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 
Have PMed you ;)

Redwing Feb 9th 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 
:) I don't think you will have a problem. I lived in Buford, Ga, for two years, and now live in SE Tennessee. Not too much difference really. Traffic was, and still is, the biggest problem all over Atlanta. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Vimto Feb 10th 2009 12:54 am

Re: Atlanta bound
 
As Melly has said, religion is not 'in your face' as much in Atlanta as it is in the smaller rural areas of Georgia, ethnicity is also not a major problem according to the Indians I work with. Mixed marriages between all sorts of different nationalities can be found, I have an Indian friend whose wife is from Columbia and they have 2 beautiful kids who take after their father in appearance and they have never had any issues when I spoke with him today. The city has grown up so fast based on growth of the large american and multinational companies who are based here it seems almost no one is from Georgia orginally.
You will enjoy life here providing hubby doesn't have too long a commute

mellybrown Feb 10th 2009 2:12 am

Re: Atlanta bound
 

Originally Posted by Vimto (Post 7269064)
As Melly has said, religion is not 'in your face' as much in Atlanta as it is in the smaller rural areas of Georgia, ethnicity is also not a major problem according to the Indians I work with. Mixed marriages between all sorts of different nationalities can be found, I have an Indian friend whose wife is from Columbia and they have 2 beautiful kids who take after their father in appearance and they have never had any issues when I spoke with him today. The city has grown up so fast based on growth of the large american and multinational companies who are based here it seems almost no one is from Georgia orginally.
You will enjoy life here providing hubby doesn't have too long a commute

ah yes the joyous commute :blink:

dh010447 Feb 10th 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 7269238)
ah yes the joyous commute :blink:

Yes... traffic is bad. You will want to live as close to the office as you can. Stay off the 285 (Atlanta ring road) the 75 (runs NW to SE through Atlanta) and the 85 (runs NW to SE through Atlanta). If you live in the city, you might be able to use Marta (underground) to get around, but its not much use outside the city.

have a look here for rental properties www.rentlist.net

Dont worry about the move, you'll like it out here...

nooj Feb 10th 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 7269238)
ah yes the joyous commute :blink:

ah yes I've heard all about this. it seems to be the main gripe people have with Atlanta.

So is the main problem people coming in from the outskirts? Is there any way of being smart about it ? (other than living under your desk?)

I'm going to be doing the school run- at the moment a 12 minute walk- is that unlikely....???::unsure:

dh010447 Feb 10th 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 

Originally Posted by nooj (Post 7271337)
ah yes I've heard all about this. it seems to be the main gripe people have with Atlanta.

So is the main problem people coming in from the outskirts? Is there any way of being smart about it ? (other than living under your desk?)

I'm going to be doing the school run- at the moment a 12 minute walk- is that unlikely....???::unsure:

Cant comment on the school thing, my kid does not go to school yet. The traffic is better if you keep off those motorways I mentioned (and the roads that feed to them), however - it could still take you a while to get the kids to school, depending on route, time and location. They do have the school busses here - that might be an option for you.

If you want to have a look at the traffic - look here: http://www.georgia-navigator.com/cameras/

mellybrown Feb 10th 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 
oh yay

we are moving and i have the joy of a 285 commute every day


lucky me....

*hmmm*

:sneaky:

dh010447 Feb 11th 2009 2:26 am

Re: Atlanta bound
 

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 7272673)
oh yay

we are moving and i have the joy of a 285 commute every day


lucky me....

*hmmm*

:sneaky:

Oh you lucky lucky lucky lucky person!

Where you moving to?

mellybrown Feb 11th 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 

Originally Posted by dh010447 (Post 7273096)
Oh you lucky lucky lucky lucky person!

Where you moving to?

Tucker - a nice big house - but no more living 2 mins from work lol!!

zargof Feb 12th 2009 12:21 pm

Re: Atlanta bound
 

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 7274768)
Tucker - a nice big house - but no more living 2 mins from work lol!!

Hmm... Tucker to Dunwoody? That's not too bad depending on the time of day. You might have problems around the 85 intersection, but it shouldn't be that bad.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:54 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.