British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Atkins Diet..... Anyone tried it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/atkins-diet-anyone-tried-189421/)

whatever Nov 6th 2003 6:10 pm

Atkins Diet..... Anyone tried it?

I was just wondering after watching a program on TV last night.
It seems the Atkins diet is sweeping the UK to the point where Potato and Bread sales have taken a Dive and Meat, Fish and Egg sales are through the roof! Supermarkets are having to change the layout of their stores to meet the consumers demands.
Apparently if things don't change it's going to have a serious impact on the farming industry as more and more people seem to be cutting out carbs.

The program also interviewed those who had tried the diet - a suprise to me because it was not the typical ladies you see in the mags and on the adverts. It was mainly business men from the city who needed to drop a few pounds but not have to bother with calorie counting or increased amounts of exercise. This diet does seem to work but surely it's too good to be true?

Anyone on here tried it or know someone that tried it? Did it work for you/them?

NC Penguin Nov 6th 2003 6:13 pm

Re: Atkins Diet..... Anyone tried it?

Originally posted by whatever
I was just wondering after watching a program on TV last night.
It seems the Atkins diet is sweeping the UK to the point where Potato and Bread sales have taken a Dive and Meat, Fish and Egg sales are through the roof! Supermarkets are having to change the layout of their stores to meet the consumers demands.
Apparently if things don't change it's going to have a serious impact on the farming industry as more and more people seem to be cutting out carbs.

<<snip>>
From what I've read, the US bakery industry's taking the Atkins diet seriously too since sales are falling dramatically too.

In fact, I saw a TV advert the other evening promoting the Atkins diet and encouraging consumers to eat less baked goods (and eat Atkins products instead, of course).

NC Penguin

PrincessofWales Nov 6th 2003 6:18 pm

All I know is that it can kill you if your not careful.

I'd suggest getting a dog and walking it everynight...that way you get some exercise are usually too worn out to even think about cooking food.

One of the worst things about moving to the US is that you forget how to walk...I used to work out the shoe rubber like nobody's business traipsing around London. Then I got here and struggled to find a pavement (ahem sidewalk)...the pounds piled on...

Paid out for a Bowflex...waste of money, treadmill....pretty much the same.

I'm a country girl at heart and you can't beat the fresh air to get those calories burning.

Yosser Nov 6th 2003 6:39 pm

Yes it works......BUT at what expence to your body?

I am so SICK of hearing about diets, lose 20 lb here, lose 10 lb overnight........its aload of bollocks, eveyone that diets loses a few pounds then 2 weeks later puts it all back on again.

Its simple, all you need is a good balanced diet, YES cut down on SOME carbs but don't cut them out altogether unless your a bodybuilder 9 weeks out from a competition.

I eat a high protein, med carb, med fat diet but I also work out 3 times a week, plus I windsurf.

I eat carbs in the morning
- Cereal

Then for lunch
- Chicken sandwhich, salad, bananna, apple and 1 small party twix bar (for the cravings).

For dinner
- Meat (chicken, steak, pork) usually grilled with a baked potatoe I actually scrape out the inside and just eat the skins, and also a big bowl of mix veg.

If I feel like a craving I just go for it, but not everynight. Just be sensible, eat right and excerise that all you need to do.

Pimpbot Nov 6th 2003 6:39 pm

My step daughter has been on it for two weeks. Seems a little to restrictive on what you can eat imo. I'd prefer that she was on a "normal" diet, as Atkins seems a little false. She is still eating all the crap that most people cannot eat on normal diets, like burgers and steaks and hasnt really cut down her overall food intake at all, but because she has to limit herself to just 20 carbs a day, she is still losing weight. So as soon as she comes off atkins, the weight is going to pile right back on, because she hasnt cut down on the food intake at all. Seems like you're a slave to this diet much more than the others.

Pimpbot Nov 6th 2003 6:44 pm

I within the last three weeks have started to cut out all the crap I was eating since I arrived. I freaked out when I got on the scales and they read 225 pounds, which is 15 pounds heavier than I was when I arrived. It didnt help that I was sitting around the house, just doing the odd bit of house work. So I've been working out on the exercise bike every week day for almost three weeks now and I try to do between 7 to 10 miles a day. I have also managed to cut out all the crisps and other crap I was eating and I have seen my weight drop by around 8 pounds.

Yosser Nov 6th 2003 6:45 pm

The real carb killers are soft drinks and beer.

Every can of doctor pepper has like 40+ grams of carbs basically a can of SUGAR.

Bud has 15 grams per can, thats why I drink Miller Light it has about 5 Grams, Michelob Light has 2 grams but its expensive.

Yosser Nov 6th 2003 6:51 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I within the last three weeks have started to cut out all the crap I was eating since I arrived. I freaked out when I got on the scales and they read 225 pounds, which is 15 pounds heavier than I was when I arrived. It didnt help that I was sitting around the house, just doing the odd bit of house work. So I've been working out on the exercise bike every week day for almost three weeks now and I try to do between 7 to 10 miles a day. I have also managed to cut out all the crisps and other crap I was eating and I have seen my weight drop by around 8 pounds.
I tell ya Pimp, its a killer staying around the house, I went from 195 to 220 in 6 months, my waist went from 34" to 38" I have never been so shocked in all my life, I almost had a heart attack.

It was all these little snacks I kept eating but i thought I was ok cause I was working out at the appartment gym. As soon as I started to work I lost 20 lbs in about a month and a half. I now keep myself at 200 -205 and do alot more cardio just like you said.

Pimpbot Nov 6th 2003 6:53 pm

I cannot drink too much fizzy drinks, but my wife drinks nothing but pepsi, so the house is always full of it. I personally like Fresca, which is a coke product, but has no fat or carbs and is very refreshing.

I'll drink a Bud light if forced, but Corona light is the only light beer that passes these lips. But thats rare. There is something just a little girlie about light beers ;)

smiler125 Nov 6th 2003 7:00 pm

I tried Atkins for one week and lost 6Ibs.
I managed not to put this back on by slowing re-introducung carbs
I now avoid carbs after lunchtime.
I have since lost another 6Ibs.
I think if you want a good start, do Atkins but not for longer than a couple of weeks. It gave me a good start to losing weight.
I like to think I am now on a reduced carb diet.

snorkmaiden Nov 6th 2003 7:03 pm

I've piled it on since I arrived. I'm joining a gym in the next couple of weeks when my youngest starts pre-school. I'll be spending as many mornings as I can in there, it's the only thing that works for me.

I tried the atkins diet for one day, that is all I could take, it made me feel ill. ITV have done several reports on the diet, a friend of ours did it, lost loads of weight but could not stick to it long term and has now piled it all back on again which is worse for you than staying the same weight.

Less crap, more time walking, working out etc, seems to be the way to go.

The last time I walked to the local Tom Thumb, someone stopped to see if I was ok and needed a lift, they just don't walk here :)

Yosser Nov 6th 2003 7:05 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I cannot drink too much fizzy drinks, but my wife drinks nothing but pepsi, so the house is always full of it. I personally like Fresca, which is a coke product, but has no fat or carbs and is very refreshing.

I'll drink a Bud light if forced, but Corona light is the only light beer that passes these lips. But thats rare. There is something just a little girlie about light beers ;)
LOL...I hear ya on that one, when my brother was over he freaked out "Coors light" what the ***** is that? you turned into a wussy or something, he went straight out and bought 24 cans of bud and a bottle of vodka, my "sensible diet" took a battering that week;)

whatever Nov 6th 2003 7:06 pm

Originally posted by Yosser
The real carb killers are soft drinks and beer.

Every can of doctor pepper has like 40+ grams of carbs basically a can of SUGAR.

Bloody hell! I didn't know the sugar content was THAT high.... I love my Coke so wouldn't be able to cut that out completely.

Personally - I'm a sensible eater... and my BMI is just fine.
I rarely eat Crisps or Chocolate - maybe once or twice a month because luckily I don't crave, (unlike my husband who HAS to have his daily fix). I was convinced for a while that Kit Kats had some kind of addictive chemicals added because I went through a serious phase with them a few months ago - thank goodness that stopped!

I'm wondering if my weight will take a bashing once we have been living in the US for a while - as many Brits have said they got heavier. due to trying new foods and taking less exercise. I'm only 5ft 2" and about 7stn 10lbs so additional pounds show up on me quickly! Don't know if I would try Atkins, but if I did suddenly balloon up, maybe I would do it for a couple of weeks and then once the excess had gone, eat a healthy balanced diet again. Surely that couldn't hurt?

Yosser Nov 6th 2003 7:08 pm

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
I've piled it on since I arrived. I'm joining a gym in the next couple of weeks when my youngest starts pre-school. I'll be spending as many mornings as I can in there, it's the only thing that works for me.

I tried the atkins diet for one day, that is all I could take, it made me feel ill. ITV have done several reports on the diet, a friend of ours did it, lost loads of weight but could not stick to it long term and has now piled it all back on again which is worse for you than staying the same weight.

Less crap, more time walking, working out etc, seems to be the way to go.

The last time I walked to the local Tom Thumb, someone stopped to see if I was ok and needed a lift, they just don't walk here :)
How funny thats what happened to me, when I was living in Garland I was walking down the road to "tom Thumb" and someone stopped and asked if my car had broken down and did i need a ride?

I work out at either Bally's in Mesquite or the Bally's in Garland (northwest). The gym in Mesquite is brand new, I love that one, really nice clean gym and its HUGE.

smiler125 Nov 6th 2003 7:13 pm

I don't think I will have a problem avoiding the chocolate in America.
I find it disgusting and won't even bother with it.

Is it easy to get Swiss chocolate?
I really enjoy Milka, and will probably stock that up in the duty free on the way over.