Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Asthma-Question with regards to health care/insurance.

Asthma-Question with regards to health care/insurance.

Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:19 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asthma-Question with regards to health care/insurance.

Ask your new doc about other treatment options as well. They are willing to do a lot more for asthma sufferers in this country.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Midwestchic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have asthma and I think in the past I've paid as little as $4 for the generic version of my Albuterol inhaler at Wal-mart and other pharmacies. Nowadays I think I pay about $20. It's not very much for the inhaler.

Typically, you'll go to the doctor once a year and get a prescription that'll last the entire year with multiple refills. Then the doctor will probably want to see you again the next year for a check up/follow up.

As others have said you may find that a lot of your problems will clear up. The air in CA is very dry and depending on where you are, it doesn't get that cold. I have more problems with my asthma in cold weather.

Good luck!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:53 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my husband had the advair inhaler too (just had blue salbutomol in the UK)
he had 6 months of repeating one month supplies - cost about $40 after our insurance.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

We moved here in November and I visited the Dr here a few months ago, and they did the full health check, I told them i have asthma, but very rarely use my ventolin inhaler, they gave me a prescription for Albuterol, i took it to CVS and my insurance charged me $30, i decided not to pay at the time, as i came here with 4 ventolin inhalers as i stocked up before I left the UK. The Dr here gave me a repeat prescription that was valid for 3 refills.

Touch wood i have only used my inhaler on two occasions since moving here, once when visiting a friends house who had cats (im allergic to cats, and i didnt know they had them, so i hadnt taken any antihistamines) and a few months back i had a really bad cough that lasted 2 weeks and left me wheezy.

Each insurance will have their own prices, i pay $5 for a generic prescription and $30 for a non generic

Last edited by sarahlou145; Jul 16th 2010 at 10:55 pm. Reason: extra info