Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Associates demanding ID with Visa CC

Associates demanding ID with Visa CC

Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:07 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Associates demanding ID with Visa CC

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Perhaps they should just bring back slavery and be done with it eh?
Workhouses would be a bit more humane.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Workhouses would be a bit more humane.
would keep those children in line
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
would keep those children in line
and if in the UK, the chavs
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

war Is Peace
Freedom Is Slavery
Ignorance Is Strength
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
and if in the UK, the chavs
Argos would be stuffed though *lol*
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I can tell you that most of our customers whose cards are declined and get contacted by our fraud dept to verify activity are either appreciative that that we have a fraud detect system in place, or neutral about it. There are a few (like the lady I described above) who flip out about the short-term inconvenience it causes -- but remember, these are the same people who'd get pissed off (as that lady did) when we DON'T catch the fraudulent activity and decline it.

As far as the bottom line goes, it is definitely in the credit card companies' best interest to ensure that they have fraud prevention systems in place. Consumers are growing more and more concerned with identity theft and fraud, and fraud prevention is right up there with having a low APR that draws consumers to apply for cards. More customers means more money for the credit card companies.

~ Jenney
hi guys, sorry to drop a stink bomb and then run off, but life called.

Thanks for your replies and input; I really just wanted to vent my spleen and show off about the Stones tickets or maybe I just had one too many of those phone calls pile up on me in too short a period of time. I will say, the cc co trained me well.. by having the fraud department call me about once a month to verify purchases made, I knew they were getting tighter and made some of those calls on my own initiative because I knew they 'cared'.

And, Jenney et al: I *do* appreciate your efforts Even if it is not directly saving my hard-earned bucks, if the company has excessive losses, they WILL be passed onto all customers (not like I pay any fees or interest.. I'm their worst customer!). Since I'm a merchant, too, those 'discount' fees are already high enough for me and I want to keep the peace.

It's funny, on the ID thing. I *rarely* have it requested of me and the DAH has become a trained monkey, shoving the ID at the clerk before they even ask, and they do ask him frequently. I think if he'd just shave more often, he wouldn't get such a hard time

& yes fatbrit, I think about ratting them out every now and again. Both xamples are Arco stations.. I think they're franchises, but makes me wonder if Arco encourages them....
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:19 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been ploughing through this thread as a recent shopping trip had me steaming.

Saturday I had to buy some fabric from http://www.joann.com/index.jhtml. Anyway I've been in quite a few times as we're in the middle of reupholstering the boat. So I pay with my mastercard, it goes through and I sign it. I had my wallet open on the counter while I was waiting for her to hand my card back and my EAD was visable in the clear wallet folder bit. So she actually grabs my wallet and I asked her what the hell she was doing. She said the sigs didn't match. They did. They always do what with it being my sig an' all. She said the one on the slip was a lot smaller. Well dah, it would be. Then she went as far as to get my card out and I went to grab it back. She said she was looking for my drivers licence. I was fuming, grabbed it back from her, took my stuff and card and left.

Mr Sibsie said I shouldn't have got wound up and that they're entitled to ask for ID but I really want to write a strongly worded letter to them.

Note... I would have left without the purchase and told her to stuff it altogether but we are halfway through the upholstery and this is the only store that stocks the fabric we're using.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I've just been ploughing through this thread as a recent shopping trip had me steaming...
http://www.mastercard.com/contactus/contactus_mv.html
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm beginning to feel left out- in 14 years here, I've never, ever, been asked for ID when using a CC, in fact the sales assistants usually hand the card back to me before I sign for the purchase. Also have never had a problem charging 'large' amounts and have always used cards abroad without a quibble (and have never asked permission or let the CC company know beforehand).
Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:09 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Saturday I had to buy some fabric from http://www.joann.com/index.jhtml. Anyway I've been in quite a few times as we're in the middle of reupholstering the boat. So I pay with my mastercard, it goes through and I sign it. I had my wallet open on the counter while I was waiting for her to hand my card back and my EAD was visable in the clear wallet folder bit. So she actually grabs my wallet and I asked her what the hell she was doing. She said the sigs didn't match. They did. They always do what with it being my sig an' all. She said the one on the slip was a lot smaller. Well dah, it would be. Then she went as far as to get my card out and I went to grab it back. She said she was looking for my drivers licence. I was fuming, grabbed it back from her, took my stuff and card and left.
I may have 'happy slapped' her (to use a new phrase from the UK)
Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked in a department store (womens shoes dept) I got into a big argument with a customer once. She had been really annoying, rude and arrogant the whole time I had been serving her, she eventually decided on a pair of shoes so I went to ring her up. Well what did I find on the back of the card? "See ID" Normally I wouldn't be rude to somebody but she was up her own arse so I handed it back and politely told her that as she hadn't signed it with a her signature, the card was invalid. This did not excite her. She went on and on about how it was safer to do that yadda yadda yadda. To which I just replied, the card is invalid, I would be happy use another card or accept cash or cheque. Well, she had signed all her cards the same way and had no cash or cheques. Then it got good. Turns out she works for the bank that issued the card and she went off on how they approve and authorize that type of signature and she would have them call up and stop the stores acceptance of VISA cards. How she would have done this I don't know. But then I just politely informed her that VISA actually owns the card, not the bank and it was a VISA policy that all cards must be signed with a valid signature and not see ID or any variant. I think it was when I said that VISA could pull its service from the bank as it would be a breech of terms the bank agreed to she shut up. Then a manager turned up and authorized the sale. I got in trouble but a few days later having checked the policies they found me to be right, so it was all good.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:57 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks and done.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

She said the sigs didn't match. They did. They always do what with it being my sig an' all.
sibs,
Complain to the store manager and/or division manager and up if you like. That's for grabbing the wallet and helping herself... waaaay out of bounds.

Visa informs us merchants that as long as there is an approval code, we're supposed to accept the transaction. Once they give the electronic approval, it's the cc co's bacon, not mine, yours or the store's.

I actually don't know why they bother with the sigs now that we have electronic approvals. And I remember the olden days of manual imprints and phoning the sale in!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 12:22 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
And I remember the olden days of manual imprints and phoning the sale in!
Come to New Mexico if you want to relive it!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 12:58 am
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by meauxna
sibs,
Complain to the store manager and/or division manager and up if you like. That's for grabbing the wallet and helping herself... waaaay out of bounds.
A letter is in the pipeline. The first time I went in I had a friend with me and this same cashier commented how most people buy shit fabric but mine was "kinda ok".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.