Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Associates demanding ID with Visa CC

Associates demanding ID with Visa CC

Old Jun 11th 2005, 4:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Associates demanding ID with Visa CC

Someone on this board reunited me with creditboards.com the other day -- fascinating stuff. Anyway armed with the info @ http://creditboards.com/forums/index...howtopic=82795 and the link to Visa @ http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/newsr...html#anchor_18, I decided to be a cantankerous bugger and wind up our local store. I get pissed off with snotty-nosed twats demanding my ID and am equally convinced it does absolutely nothing to protect me but rather exposes me to more risk of ID theft.

Anyways, paid for my fruit and veg with a Visa CC but refused to give my photo ID. Dragged the store manager into it (didn't want the cashier copping for it), who confirmed it was always "head office policy" to demand IDs for every CC transaction. Showed them my ID under protest and said I would be complaining to Visa. Came home and called the Visa number and filled out an incident report over the phone with them. Can't wait to call in for my pineapple and spuds next week.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all
Default Re: Associates demanding ID with Visa CC

I really dont understand why you find a request for ID a problem. Most CC dont have photos on them so the request for photo ID (drivers license) is the only way they can prove the card is being used by its signatory.

Its seems a tad pedantic to summon the clerks supervisor/manager when all they are trying to do is prevent CC fraud.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teresa1003
I really dont understand why you find a request for ID a problem. Most CC dont have photos on them so the request for photo ID (drivers license) is the only way they can prove the card is being used by its signatory.

Its seems a tad pedantic to summon the clerks superior when all they are trying to do is prevent CC fraud.
I don't believe they are preventing CC fraud but rather encouraging it, and presumably so does Visa.

In what particular way does providing your full address, DOB and DL number to a minimum-wage, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow employee prevent CC fraud, especially taking into account they lready have your credit card number, its validation code and your signature ? Please do enlighten me as I'd love to know.

BTW, I summoned the clerk's superior to get her well off the hook for it. And I was as nice as pie to her.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder how much notice they take of the photo anyway, bearing in mind how little attention gets paid to the signature. I signed for one weeks food as "D Duck" out of sheer mischief, and the check out kid didn't even turn the card over to look at the signature.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:24 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wonder how much notice they take of the photo anyway, bearing in mind how little attention gets paid to the signature. I signed for one weeks food as "D Duck" out of sheer mischief, and the check out kid didn't even turn the card over to look at the signature.

I used to use my arsenal of foreign IDs to amuse myself. Never had them questioned once.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Bruce Schneier - the guru of information security - has this to say:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...ting_iden.html

If you don't want to read it the basic points are:

1) The problem isn't the customer's.
2) The problem is with fraudulent transactions
3) Therefore, authenticating the transaction is a better process (this is what credit card companies do, banks don't)

Visa don't require an ID to be shown because it's pointless.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:34 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
In what particular way does providing your full address, DOB and DL number to a minimum-wage, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow employee prevent CC fraud, especially taking into account they lready have your credit card number, its validation code and your signature ?
Are you saying that they actually note down, or at least look at, all these details? I have to admit this has never happened to me. All they ever do is take a quick glance at my DL (which never leaves my wallet) - to see that the picture bears a passing resemblance to my good self.

Elvira
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:37 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Are you saying that they actually note down, or at least look at, all these details? I have to admit this has never happened to me. All they ever do is take a quick glance at my DL (which never leaves my wallet) - to see that the picture bears a passing resemblance to my good self.

Elvira

No -- I'm saying that if I show it to them, they then have the ability to so do if they so wish. Even by memory, especially if I'm a regular customer where they can memorize one part at every visit.

And since it does absolutely nothing to protect me against CC fraud, why should I give them that opportunity?
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think they do look at the photo, but what they don't seem to do is check that the name on the DL/ID matches the name on the CC. I've often used my husband's CC to pay for goods and the ID card I use still shows my maiden name ... have yet to have anyone notice! They don't even bother to check the signature ... bought some goods at a local store recently, used my new CC showing my married name (which I had forgotten to sign!) and showed them my UK DL which is in my maiden name ... nowt was said!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:57 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
(which I had forgotten to sign!) and showed them my UK DL which is in my maiden name ... nowt was said!
This is Visa's one exception to demanding ID without suspicion of fraud -- you must have signed the card otherwise they can demand you produce the ID.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

When you swipe the card at the machine and select credit card, and then sign for it, they never even look at the card to verify the signature...can't be a good thing if it's a pinched card...
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

This is Visa's one exception to demanding ID without suspicion of fraud -- you must have signed the card otherwise they can demand you produce the ID.
Shame they didn't notice that both cards had different names, eh!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 6:03 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bob
When you swipe the card at the machine and select credit card, and then sign for it, they never even look at the card to verify the signature...can't be a good thing if it's a pinched card...

Do you think they're capable of determining whether the signature is genuine? My wife signs my own signature far better than me! At least they are permitted to do this by Visa -- but they aren't permitted to ask for your ID unless fraud is suspected or you haven't signed the card.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... And since it does absolutely nothing to protect me against CC fraud, why should I give them that opportunity?
It's not to protect you when you are using your card, it is to (i) protect you when your card is stolen, and (ii) (probably more importantly) to protect the store when the card is stolen - if the store doesn't carry out some basic precautions then a fraudulent charge may be charged back to the store, and they have to swallow it as the fraudster, and their stock, has long since disappeared.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Someone on this board reunited me with creditboards.com the other day -- fascinating stuff. Anyway armed with the info @ http://creditboards.com/forums/index...howtopic=82795 and the link to Visa @ http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/newsr...html#anchor_18, I decided to be a cantankerous bugger and wind up our local store. I get pissed off with snotty-nosed twats demanding my ID and am equally convinced it does absolutely nothing to protect me but rather exposes me to more risk of ID theft.

You sound like you think that you are better than them just because they are working at a minimum wage job...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.