Reload this Page >

Assignment America

Assignment America

Old Dec 27th 2003, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

DEEJAE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Assignment America

Hi folks,

we finally made the US with the above nursing agency, but wish to talk to anyone else who also made the trip. What have your experiences been? Your aftercare? Are you happy you made the move. OK we know there will be times of homesickness but we are talking work related here.

In particular what are your experiences with the immigration process and did any of you work for A.A. in Florida. We are a group following up on "customer satisfaction" or otherwise, and want to help a group of people who need to stand together.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 5:49 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't come with Assignment America because they told me I needed to be working in nursing for 2 consecutive years to be hired by them, but at the time I was out of nursing despite having 10 years exerience, so I went with another well known agency. By the time I got my visa I had been working in nursing for 2 years anyway.

I arrived on December 1st, and although I'm beginning to settle down and enjoy my new surroundings, I am frankly appalled by the nursing agency's treatment of the nurses, and to be honest I feel like I've been completely conned. I found the quality of nursing much higher in England and am horrified at some of the practices here. Not only that, but I've been placed in a really unsafe area and was not warned about that. Thankfully I arranged my own accomodation (only because the agency never got around to it) and the other nurses that they placed are so scared of where they live that they're moving already and paying a hefty fee for breaking the rent contract. The agency are taking a huge commision for the priviledge of our skills and if I was working through a hospital and not through them I could command virtually double of what I am earning now. In fact, I was earning far more in London. The hospital they have placed me in is a for-profit hospital that cares little about patient care or job satisfaction, and it is a total culture shock for an English nurse who has only ever worked in an NHS hospital where quality of care is the only issue.

I waited 2 years for my visa and 6 months for placement. I wanted to go to Connecticut where my partner lives but they lied to me and pretended I could go to New England when in fact they hadn't placed anyone there in 18 months, so I accepted a placement contract in Arizona. The week I arrived in Phoenix they placed 2 nurses in the same town in CT that my partner lives. To say I was annoyed is an understatement. The fee for breaking the contract is $15,000, but taking into consideration the 2 rents my partner and I now have to pay, the monthly flight tickets so we can still maintain our relationship, and the double utilities, we think that it is worth paying the money to get our life back. I am looking into options at the moment, but it is extremely unlikely that I will see the contract through 21 months.

On the other hand, although it is easy to be bitter, I have to remember that although it's not pretty, it did work. I received my green card in the mail last week, and the relief of not having immigrations woes hanging over my head is enormous. It is not the dream that was promised, and it is not ideal, but the most important thing for me and my partner was to get me to the United States, as it was our only chance. Now I am here we will have to use our heads to get where we want to be. I worked my arse off to get here, and it's not over yet. If you're a nurse reading this I'll say it's definitely worth doing, because you do indeed get a green card, but go in with your eyes open and accept that you will be taken advantage of and you will not be told the whole truth. Whether or not it's worth it because of the price you have to pay is up to you.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Rockgurl...

I am also going with an Agency and I am VERY WARY of what they tell me and what they dont tell me...luckily I am in contact with a few nurses that are going through the same process and we are able to support each other. Some of the things that the Agency told me werent true (not huge lies but certainly not whole truths either)and it was only by my own research that I am as far down the road that I am - if I waited for them to tell me what to do next I wouldve have tried my NCLEX already (and instead of waiting to re-sit I would be waiting to sit for the first time!)

Rockgurl - I dont blame you for one minute for being annoyed about your placement and then finding that 2 nurses have been placed in CT - I bet you are seething...

Hope it all works out how you want in the end - good luck
Old Dec 27th 2003, 10:36 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue! Merry Christmas to you. When do you retake your NCLEX? I'm thinking of you. I remember 2 years ago I was here in Connecticut for 3 weeks just before Christmas and I spent everyday revising for my exam. Even though it's almost a distant memory, I can never forget. I still sit here and thank god that I don't have to revise for anything over Christmas. It's a huge stress but it will be over one day and then you can put it away...done and dusted. I take my ACLS in February so that's hanging over my head a bit, but I try to focus on the achievement of it and regain that enthusiasm. In England it's so hard to get on an ACLS course, but over here all critical care nurses have to take it.

You are very wise to take everything with a pinch of salt. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't allow yourself to be fobbed off. Many times I felt as if I was being fobbed off and I tried to persist and ask more questions. I'm a more patient person than I was before, due to the constant waiting over the last 2 years, which is why I am more able to sit here now and assess my future a lot more clearly than before, when I might have panicked or made a split decision. You have to remember that the ultimate goal of this is to get a green card, and that much I have achieved. It helps to be philosophical about it and look upon your achievements rather than the things that you can't change.

Here are a few finer points of the scams and things to look out for:

1) One of the nurses arrived here in Phoenix only to be told there was no job for her after all, after she had laid out money for an apartment, car and furniture. She made a huge fuss and was found a job at another hospital, and made the agency move her to a different apartment. She had signed a contract but the hospital changed their minds once she got here.

2) There is a law here in Arizona that nurses can have up to one shift per pay period cancelled here at short notice. When you take into account that a pay period is 2 weeks long, and we do 12 hour shifts, you will realize that that's a lot of money! One nurse arrived here and has been cancelled one shift every fortnight and is losing about $500 a month. He is distraught and can barely cope with his bills. The agency never told any of us that this law existed. He was supposed to nwork 36 hours a week full time and has ended up working 24 hours a week which is in effect part-time.

3) Over here you have to buy your own scrubs and stethoscope, which they never mentioned until I got here. After paying out for rent, car, insurance and having no pay for a month, that is something I wish I had known. The day before you start work is not the day you should find out about that! A Littmanns Cardiology II stethoscope can set you back $200!

4) I chose to do nights because it's more money...WRONG! They didn't tell me that you don't get paid more for doing nights..you get the same rate as days. Another con! Didn't know that until the day I had to sign the contract and the immigration embassy interview was already scheduled. Huge pressure to sign and agree to less money. Why would anyone want to choose nights unless there was a compensation to make it worth doing?

5) After I got the visa granted I called the agency and expected things to really start moving. They wouldn't return my calls or address anything that was pressing, like getting somewhere to live, or tell me my schedule. The week before I emigrated they still hadn't arranged anything for me, so i arranged my own accomodation over the internet. It's impossible to emigrate in a week! Especially when you've been waiting 2 years but couldn't actually arrange anything until the last minute. Some nurses arrived here and had to stay in a hotel, only to be placed in unsafe areas.

6) They won't deliver pizza to my hospital after 11pm because it's considered too unsafe. If you open up the doors at night you can hear the gunshots. They have gangs driving by and throwing shot, injured or dead people out onto the steps and driving off. The agency never once mentioned the possibility that I may have to work in a very unsafe area, or told me what kind of area I was moving to. I felt very vulnerable when I got here and have had no support. Being here on my own and coming from middle class London has been a real culture shock.

Wishing you lots of luck for 2004 and hope you get the NCLEX and a green card under your belt!
Old Dec 27th 2003, 11:17 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assignment America

Blimey Rockgurl sounds like you're having a right old time of it. Would the fact that the agency have mislead you give you any grounds for not suffering financially if you decide to break your contract?
Old Dec 28th 2003, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
6) They won't deliver pizza to my hospital after 11pm because it's considered too unsafe. If you open up the doors at night you can hear the gunshots. They have gangs driving by and throwing shot, injured or dead people out onto the steps and driving off. The agency never once mentioned the possibility that I may have to work in a very unsafe area, or told me what kind of area I was moving to. I felt very vulnerable when I got here and have had no support. Being here on my own and coming from middle class London has been a real culture shock.
Holy heck. I just had to respond because I'm personally getting angry reading your post, and I'm not coming over on a work visa, nor a nurse. I think its horrible that these agencies do this. Its so great that you can alert other people to these scams. The best of luck and hopefully you can move out of there soon. Yikes!
:scared:
Old Dec 28th 2003, 3:07 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Hey RockGirl,
Sounds like you got pretty well done over.
It's a shame really because they are so desperate for decent nurses over here.
I would guess the agency fills the spaces where Americans don't want to work.
My wife is a pediatric intensive care nurse (American) She worked for the NHS for about 4 years after we married and loved it.
She was so impressed with the way that nursing is run in the UK.
So much better than over here.
She was quite dissapointed to come back to the backstabbing, money grabbing situation in the US.

Is there not a way that UK nurses can pass the exam , get a green card and find their own way over here?
At least then you can get up and leave if your not happy.

I told my wife about your nightshift siuation regarding pay. She was gobsmacked to say the least and suspects the agency is pocketing the differance.
She asked me to ask you if there is a union at the hospital? If not you need one cos your getting taken for a fool.

As for the question if you should leave, Run !! But only if you can get another job legally here in the US.
Even if you take the financial loss, you will still be happier and earning more at another hospital.
Sit down and do the math, how long will it take to make up the $15k? Shouldn't be too long especierly if your getting that night shift differential. (20% here in Tallahassee)

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Remember it's better to be happy and poor than rich and depressed.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rockgurl,

Blimey, the area you are working in sounds absolutely awful...not suprised you felt vunerable. I hope that things settle down and you achieve your ultimate aim of getting to Conneticut. $15000 is an awful lot of money to break a contract...the agency I am with it is $5000 to break the contract...difficult to know what to do really but I am sure you will think everything through all the pros and cons and now you have the Green Card - you can do whatever you want (contracts allowing)

I already knew about scrubs and stethoscopes - I asked at one of my interviews last month - I was told that a set of scrubs cost about $45 and I have done some research about Stethoscopes too - $200 is about average depending on what make you want.

I find it incredible that you dont get extra for nights - where I am hoping to work they pay $4 an hour more for nights..not that I like nights - but as I only want to work 36 hours - I am sure I could manage 3 nights a week! (At the mo I work anything from 40-45 hours and on call about 4 times a week).

I am hoping to retake the NCLEX in feb - the earliest I can do it is the 6th feb - just WAITING (!) for my ATT!!!!rolleyes:

I wish you lots of luck too and happiness in 2004...
Old Dec 28th 2003, 5:50 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing sounds very media worthy as well. Something worth thinking about for those of you with bad experiences of it.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 6:09 pm
Rock Goddess

Thanks for your replies everyone.

sibsie: I believe that there may be grounds to exticate myself out of the contract, and I'm working on that right now. All my paperwork is still making its way over from England, so in the New Year I will have access to everything and will go and see a lawyer. I can't afford to sue though, and I can't afford to be sued so I'll have to tread carefully.

excpomea: We worked out that we would spend roughly the same money living apart and travelling as we would to break the contract. It's just that to have $15,000 in a lump sum is no mean feat! I do get annoyed because I consider myself a professional and educated person and it seems that nurses always end up with the shitty end of the deal. You are certainly correct about the standard of nursing being higher in the UK. This totally shocked me as I presumed it would be the other way around. Just goes to prove that nothing is as you think it will be.

Sue, you're so lucky to have a smaller price to pay to break your contract. I wish mine was $5000...I'd be off like a shot. I do have a plan but it will take a little while to investigate. The only thing that makes it ok is that my original aim was to get a green card and I have achieved that. I can always get another job, but the immigration situation was really wearing us down. Now I can legally stay in the US I can do anything. There's no point getting bitter about it. After all, I'm here, I'm getting experience, and the future holds a lot of promise. Maybe I would never have got to see Phoenix, so I look on everything as an adventure. One good thing is that US nurses certainly don't work as hard as UK nurses! It's quite nice to have the pace come down a bit and I'm enjoying the slower pace. In England I think we madea lot of work for ourselves but over here they seem more relaxed. Don't know if that's just my hospital. However, I'm a glutton for punishment, and I want to work in a Level 1 Trauma Center/University Hospital. I like to be busy. Good luck with getting your ATT and good luck with the studying. You know what to expet now...you'll be fine.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 6:15 pm
C.G.D.S

Rockgurl if media intervention is something you want to think about I do have some contacts in AZ. Let me know and good luck.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 6:18 pm
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by sibsie
Rockgurl if media intervention is something you want to think about I do have some contacts in AZ. Let me know and good luck.
Thanks sibsie. That is actually something that crossed my mind, as I have some contacts in London too. It may be something worth considering.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:37 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Assignment America

Rockgurl--sorry if I forgot your story. You probably have posted about this before. Once you have US Citizenship couldn't you and your partner move to the UK via the Unmarried Partners visa? Or does she not want to live in the UK?
Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:16 am
Just Joined

DEEJAE is an unknown quantity at this point

The press may be a good idea. We are a UK family who were put through the ringer by a particular agency. We know of two others who have left due to dangerous patient ratios, lack of training and lack of working hours causing a level of income low enough to warrant the need for alternative jobs. The list is endless; from bullying of staff,to slander. My wife left and is now doing well in an alternative hospital. Working in a specialty the agency said she was not quailified to work in (whilst being fully competent, I may add) earning a higher level of income with benefits such as proper healthcare, sickness benefits, paid holidays etc. A rumour was put around the hospital she left that she had been returned to the UK as she was not compitent in her position!!!!

We are being asked to pay rent for an appartment we "had" to vacate within 24 hours, we face a $10,500 fine for breaking our contract and have suffered undue stress at what should be a new and exciting time in our lives. We would take legal advice if the purse strings stetched far enough but feel paying may be the least expensive option.

There maybe a good "scoop" here but I must add that the US is a great place to be. We have just been unlucky putting our lives in the hands of a business which does not seem to care.

DEEJAE
Old Dec 29th 2003, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DEEJAE
The press may be a good idea. We are a UK family who were put through the ringer by a particular agency. We know of two others who have left due to dangerous patient ratios, lack of training and lack of working hours causing a level of income low enough to warrant the need for alternative jobs. The list is endless; from bullying of staff,to slander. My wife left and is now doing well in an alternative hospital. Working in a specialty the agency said she was not quailified to work in (whilst being fully competent, I may add) earning a higher level of income with benefits such as proper healthcare, sickness benefits, paid holidays etc. A rumour was put around the hospital she left that she had been returned to the UK as she was not compitent in her position!!!!

We are being asked to pay rent for an appartment we "had" to vacate within 24 hours, we face a $10,500 fine for breaking our contract and have suffered undue stress at what should be a new and exciting time in our lives. We would take legal advice if the purse strings stetched far enough but feel paying may be the least expensive option.

There maybe a good "scoop" here but I must add that the US is a great place to be. We have just been unlucky putting our lives in the hands of a business which does not seem to care.

DEEJAE
Its great to read your post DEEJAE. I personally am not involved in all of this, and am incredibly angry that any of you are experiencing this. I think more than anything it was a scary thing as I read that Rockgurl felt the levels of nursing were certainly lower than she'd anticipated. Here's hoping Rockgurl, that it is indeed just the hospital that you're at and that you will find it much nicer in another hospital closer to your partner. I'm sure you know that like bad hospitals in the NHS, you can find typically bad hospitals in the States. Although as a non-medical person, I don't want to come across any bad ones.
Best of luck to you all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.