Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Asking for part-time

Asking for part-time

Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of
Default Re: Asking for part-time

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Believe it or not... welcome to the American dream! There are thousands of people who envy your short commute and that you have a job.

What's the worst that could happen? He's not going to hit you... so the most he can do is fire you... and then you sue him because he didn't have just cause.

Does he own the company? If not, report his actions to his boss. Bullies succeeed because of the fear they instill in others... and he is betting on your silence so that he can live to bully another day. As I said... what's the worst he can do? If you get fired, you'll be able to spend more time with your son.

Ian
I don't thinks she would be able to sue because NJ is an "at-will" state. Either side can terminate employment at any time, for any reason...as long as it doesn't violate a person's civil rights.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:35 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Hi,
I have considered temping but they are all fulltime (40 hours) in my field plus involve more commuting (NJ traffic is horrible). Right now I have a 20 minute commute and I like everything about my job, just don't like it being 5 days as my son is growing up and I feel like I am missing out. My best option is asking my boss for part-time but I am too scared. He was a bit of a bully when I wanted maternity leave for longer than 6 weeks and made me feel like I was stuck in the dark ages for wanting to be home longer. My colleague recently told him she is pregnant and the first thing he asked was how much time she would take off, no congratulations. He is a bit fo a jerk.
Look, I know this sounds preachy and its easier said than done, etc, etc.
But.
He needs you more than you need him.

At the mo, I am finally (in my "career") earning good money - and believe me, I've crawled through some sh!t in this country to get here.
Nevertheless.
I don't value my job that much because I have proven to myself that I can always find work. Hence the cavalier attitude.

If my boss gave me cr@p, I'd tell him to stuff it - instead, I keep my nose clean, try to be the best at what I do and produce for him and he treats me with respect. Understanding 90% of it comes down to working for a human being, I also understand what it means to work for a d!ck. I have voted with my feet several times now - some times with something else set up first, occasionally with nothing and out of desperation.

Again, sorry if this sounds like a soap box rant, but jobs come and go and there is usually another way out - just have to accept a bigger hit.

Best thing to do?

Get pie-faced and stagger into his office.
Throw sh!t everywhere and scream sexual harassment.

Sounds like this clown will buckle under the right pressure.

Bon Chance.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I should have reported him but he later sheepishly came to my office and said I could take longer off.
Well, it sounds as though someone set him straight on things! I'd say this is a good thing. Go ahead and ask... he's already backed down once for you!

Ian
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:56 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

In the UK, a lot of women I know come back part-time after maternity leave and it is not a big deal. Over here it seems to be that most women come back full-time (mostly due to benefits issue) but also many claim they cannot afford part-time.

Anyway, I came back full-time too after my maternity leave (and I took 15 weeks, longer than the usual US 6 weeks). Now my son is 15 months old and my husband travels a lot with work and I am finding it hard to balance work and home. I would like to cut down to 3 days a week.

Does anyone have any tips on how I approach my boss about this?

He is a bit of a workaholic and made a really big deal about my long maternity leave. I asked to come back part-time and phase back to full time after maternity but he said no as it is not possible to have temporary part-time and it is too much paperwork and would affect the team. Basically he was not supportive. This time I want to ask for permanent partl-time which will mean a permanent change in status so should not be that much paperwork.

Has anyone else had to deal with their boss about switching to part-time?

I am a bit apprehensive as no other woman in my team is part-time and they all have small children. However i do know for a fact there are other part-time women working for my employer.

Hi, Shalaxh, I really sympathise. I'm here to tell you it can be done. I had a full-time job as an executive assistant with a commute of an hour each way. I had planned to come back full-time 9 weeks after the birth of my second child, but found I had bitten off more than I could chew. I subsequently went to my boss and asked if I could cut back my hours. Although I couldn't reduce the number of days I worked (the nature of my job did not allow for this), he did agree to allow me to cut back to 30 hours a week after I reassured him that I would still be able to handle the workload. However, I will say that I could not have done this had it not been for some really great colleagues who were willing to step in and help my boss out at a pinch, though I tried not to rely on this too much and to make sure that I helped them out when needed. It also helps if you have built up a good relationship with your boss and he/she values your work. Despite the work culture being very workaholic here, most good employers would rather hang on to a valuable employee than pay the costs of finding a person to replace them, retrain etc. I think if you presented your boss with a plan as to how you will handle your workload (do you have colleagues who would help out in your absence? Would you be willing to be flexible if the boss needs you on a particular day? etc. Are you willing to ease back into full-time after a period of time.). You might even remind him/her of some of the work you have been doing, particularly if you have done any outstanding work which might make him/her think twice about letting you go. One other thing: some bosses are willing to give part-time a go and see what happens with the proviso that if it doesn't work out, then either you would go back to full-time or the company would be able to find someone else. Perhaps you can suggest a 3-month trial and see how it goes from there. Just a few ideas.....

On the down side, however, I will say that working part-time sometimes reduces your benefits substantially. You might want to think about how this will impact you.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Good point. The Family Medical Leave Act means the OP is entitled to take off a longer period for maternity leave anyway if she wishes.
8 weeks unpaid....