Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ask the Foreign Secretary

Ask the Foreign Secretary

Old May 17th 2008, 1:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ask the Foreign Secretary

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I know that. I meant if they didn't have consular processing but sent them all over there to be done.

I don't know why they have to charge more for the phone lines especially if they don't make any actual money off of it. I suppose that is the cost of outsourcing it rather than having it done in-house which I believe the consul guy said frees them up to process the passports quicker. I didn't have to pay any extra when I called the Amsterdam one with questions but they were only available for limited hours by phone.
It still doesn't answer the question of how the Passport Office in the U.K. can provide a quicker, simpler and cheaper service + call centre, while British citizens overseas are expected to accept lower standards of service.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It still doesn't answer the question of how the Passport Office in the U.K. can provide a quicker, simpler and cheaper service + call centre, while British citizens overseas are expected to accept lower standards of service.
Economies of scale I guess?
At the end of the day I don't agree that it's our right to have our passports issued while we are overseas. I'm pretty sure that if they withdrew the service people would have a lot more to complain about.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Economies of scale I guess?
At the end of the day I don't agree that it's our right to have our passports issued while we are overseas. I'm pretty sure that if they withdrew the service people would have a lot more to complain about.
It really is a question of whether Britain cares about its citizens overseas - based on this situation, it's clear that there are deficiencies.

Although not as bad as some countries who do exactly what you suggest.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:56 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree that it's our right to have our passports issued while we are overseas.
So what are people outside the UK supposed to do when their passports are lost or expired, then?
Old May 18th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
So what are people outside the UK supposed to do when their passports are lost or expired, then?
Go to http://www.britainusa.com/orlando/ and click on "Passports and Consular Services". All of the information is in there about renewing and Lost/Stolen ones.

Don't forget to report lost/stolen(s) to the local police; if you have travel insurance then the cost of a replacement should be covered.

Regards

Cranley
Old May 18th 2008, 2:59 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranners99
Go to http://www.britainusa.com/orlando/ and click on "Passports and Consular Services". All of the information is in there about renewing and Lost/Stolen ones.
No, I know, thank you though. She was saying British citizens don't have a right to get new ones outside the UK. I was asking what people would have to do if she get her way.
Old May 20th 2008, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
No, I know, thank you though. She was saying British citizens don't have a right to get new ones outside the UK. I was asking what people would have to do if she get her way.
Now that I re-read it I see what you meant.

Be interested to hear how people (without a passport) are to get back to the UK to get one issued...
Old May 20th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranners99
Now that I re-read it I see what you meant.

Be interested to hear how people (without a passport) are to get back to the UK to get one issued...
I've had a passport stolen overseas and got back with a consular letter, everyone, including the airline were great about it, was sorted in 24 hours. There's no way I would have had time to get a passport issued and still get on the plane.

I would imagine the difficulty differs depending on where you are though.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Ask the Foreign Secretary: The Answers

Originally Posted by British Consul
Foreign Secretary David Miliband will be in the US from May 20-23. He will answer your questions, on-line, about foreign policy, UK/US relations, and the challenges we face in a globalized world. For further information on how to submit a question visit www.britainusa.com/orlando and look in the "News from Orlando" section at the bottom of the screen.

Dean
The questions posed to the Foreign Secretary, and the answers he gave, can be found here:

http://www.britainusa.com/consular/a...4&a=48259&d=-1

Dean
Old May 28th 2008, 11:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed Manc got the all important question in then
Old May 28th 2008, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Didn't he just?
Old May 29th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Excellent question.

I was NOT impressed with his answer to my question (re Russia).

Don't say I didn't tell you so...Mr. Brown!!!!:curse:
Old May 29th 2008, 1:27 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

magic. made my day

Originally Posted by Bob
Old May 29th 2008, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
LMAO