British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ashtma Inhalers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ashtma-inhalers-523230/)

patemaan Mar 20th 2008 4:49 pm

Ashtma Inhalers

Hi

Guys moving to dallas in 2 weeks - I need inhalers as I slightly ashtmatic...

do I need a doctor to prescribe them (if so does this cost)

of can I get it over the counter?

thanks

PM

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 20th 2008 4:51 pm

Re: Ashtma Inhalers

Originally Posted by patemaan (Post 6089682)
Hi

thanks

PM

Can't you get a couple of extras before you leave to last a while until you have sorted out a doctor here.

OTC asthma inhalers are available but you should steer clear of them....not the same as rx ones

fatbrit Mar 20th 2008 5:20 pm

(if so does this cost)

Will you have health insurance?

Jerseygirl Mar 20th 2008 5:32 pm

Hi

thanks

PM

Yes you will need a prescription from your doctor. Mine cost nothing but we have meds insurance...which is different from health insurance.

penguinsix Mar 20th 2008 6:34 pm

My advice is to stock up before you get here. Get as many as you can (and will remain active and not inert) so you can concentrate on other things when you arrive.

The last thing you want to encounter is some stupid glitch in the paperwork that ties up your health insurance or the prescription or whatever. Give your self some time (month or two if possible) to get things settled.

naomi Mar 20th 2008 6:34 pm

Ventolin (or generic Ventolin) has to be prescribed by a doctor. Cost will vary depending on your health insurance. I think I pay $20 for mine (co-pay).

AJP1 Mar 20th 2008 9:23 pm

If you're happy with a generic albuterol inhaler then you can get it with a prescription off of Walmart's $4 drug list (without insurance). Anything else will cost much more if you don't have insurance. Mine ranged from $70 - $145 per inhaler - and that's for about a month's supply.

And you don't want to know the cost of ending up in the Emergency Room.

In other words, as others have said, stock up before you leave if possible or make sure you've got the health insurance covered!

britex01 Mar 20th 2008 9:59 pm

Hi

thanks

PM

On my own trips to DFW (my TX OH is currently in Dallas) I did not find a great need for inhalers, even though I get asthmatic at times here in the UK, due largely to atmospheric changes in the countryside. In Texas, the weather is, invariably, warmer and dryer, in fact very hot at times, and whilst there I used an inhaler very infrequently.

I would certainly stock up with inhalers in advance of moving to Dallas. Depending on your own asthmatic condition, the symptoms might not be as acute or as regular as perhaps now.

Good luck on your move to DFW.

---

Chris Rizzo Mar 20th 2008 11:07 pm

Some inhalers can be bought OTC in the U.S., but if you are a known asthmatic, it would be safer for you to consult your physician, and have him/ her advise you.

Prior to coming to the U.S., why don't you schedule a "well visit" with your doctor? Discuss any medical concerns/ issues you may have regarding your travels. All the best!

patemaan Mar 21st 2008 3:45 pm

hi

many thanks for you advice guys... :D

I will stock up - i think i will get some more inhalers before i leave...

I will have health insurance with my company so hopefully I am covered

the good thing is when ever I visit a hot country I feel fine I can breath so Dallas and visiting other states I will be fine... I feel full of energy... I only get problems when I am i the UK...

thanx again

PM

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2008 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by patemaan (Post 6093503)
hi

many thanks for you advice guys... :D

I will stock up - i think i will get some more inhalers before i leave...

the good thing is when ever I visit a hot country I feel fine I can breath so Dallas and visiting other states I will be fine... I feel full of energy... I only get problems when I am i the UK...

thanx again

PM

I think your UK GP can give you 3 months supply.

Best to check regarding health insurance...this normally doesn't cover the cost of medications. Our meds insurance is with a different company to our healthcare insurance.

Bill_S Mar 21st 2008 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by patemaan (Post 6093503)

You might or might not have prescription drug coverage. You should get that information ASAP when you arrive. If you do have coverage you need to get the details of the benefit: copays, brand vs generic, mandatory mail service, closed/open formulary, etc. The big three pharmacy benefit management companies are Caremark/CVS, Medco, and ESI. Some health insurers include a prescription benefit but they often use one of the big PBMs to do the work.

TimFountain Mar 21st 2008 6:30 pm

Of course you are moving to the allergy capitol of the world. We have grass, oak, hackberry, cedar, molds, fungus, you name it and we have it. I never had a problem with allergies 'till I moved here. Finally after 3 years of immunotheraphy, I don't react to any of the allergens any more!

The first couple of years here were misery, and the Allerga D gave me terrible insomnia, headaches and dry mouth.

- Tim

patemaan Mar 22nd 2008 4:55 pm

Hi

I got this extract from the companies insurance plan, can anyone interpret :

"Prescription Drug Card-Express Scripts $10generic/$25 preferred brand/$40 non-preferred brand/$50 specialty-In/NOT COVERED Out of Express Scripts"

so am i covered for ventolin inhalers?

looking at the above i pay the first $25 dollars , does anyone know how much an inhalers cost, I normally get 2 steroid inhalers and 2 ventolin here in the uk

Tim this Immunotherapy where did you get that done is it easily available?

PM

Bill_S Mar 22nd 2008 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by patemaan (Post 6097427)
Hi

I got this extract from the companies insurance plan, can anyone interpret :

"Prescription Drug Card-Express Scripts $10generic/$25 preferred brand/$40 non-preferred brand/$50 specialty-In/NOT COVERED Out of Express Scripts"

so am i covered for ventolin inhalers?

looking at the above i pay the first $25 dollars , does anyone know how much an inhalers cost, I normally get 2 steroid inhalers and 2 ventolin here in the uk

Tim this Immunotherapy where did you get that done is it easily available?

PM

You will pay a $10 co-pay for generic meds, $25 for a preferred brand, $40 for a non-preferred brand, $50 for specialty drugs. Ventolin is a brand name, so your inhaler will cost you either $25 or $40 depending on whether your plan's formulary considers it preferred or non-preferred. A generic albuterol inhaler would be $10. I suggest calling the toll-free number for Express Scripts and find out whether Ventolin is preferred or non-preferred in the formulary. BTW, preferred or non-preferred don't mean that one brand is better than another, it's industry jargon that relates to the cost of the drug to the plan.