Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ashamed of my homeland ..and mad as Hell!

Ashamed of my homeland ..and mad as Hell!

Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ashamed of my homeland ..and mad as Hell!

Just today I found out that my mother in law has been 'mugged' after cashing in her pension...Bless her heart! Such pride their genertion has, never to be seen again I fear. Not a word to us, in case we worried; now that is class I say! What a bunch of cowards, that would attack an elderly lady...and she is a lady, for a few quid.

Last edited by Poshpaws; Nov 28th 2003 at 3:45 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ashamed of my homeland ..and mad as Hell!

Originally posted by Poshpaws
Just today I found out that my mother in law has been 'mugged' after cashing in her pension...Bless her heart! Such pride their genertion has, never to be seen again I fear. Not a word to us, in case we worried; now that is class I say! What a bunch of cowards, that would attack an elderly lady...and she is lady, for a few quid.

Too bad society does not mandate a license for breeding...this might just cull all the ills of this world. Amen!
The same thing happened to my son only last week in Philly. He went to cash his paycheck and was mugged at gunpoint by 3 guys on the way back across the carpark. They only got half of his money, he had wisely split it up. Luckily he was not hurt, but this is rife not only in the UK, but all over.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 3:55 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

It's a sign of the times that they can face you and demand ther money, instead of just picking your pocket!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 4:08 pm
JeanDupont

I might be getting on a bit but if they mug me I will use my weapon. It is a great equalizer. I go no-where without it (except obviously airplanes etc).
I only ever had to use it once - I lived - he didn't.

Old Nov 28th 2003, 4:14 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by JeanDupont
I might be getting on a bit but if they mug me I will use my weapon. It is a great equalizer. I go no-where without it (except obviously airplanes etc).

Gedoudahere!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:10 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Jean,

If I have ever written anything slightly offensive towards you I humbly and categorically appollogise. I am really sorry if anything I have ever done has slightly upset you in anyway.

Hope we can always be freinds

Yours Sincerley

Patrick
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:15 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ashamed of my homeland ..and mad as Hell!

Originally posted by Poshpaws
Just today I found out that my mother in law has been 'mugged' after cashing in her pension...Bless her heart! Such pride their genertion has, never to be seen again I fear. Not a word to us, in case we worried; now that is class I say! What a bunch of cowards, that would attack an elderly lady...and she is a lady, for a few quid.

Too bad society does not mandate a license for breeding...this might just cull all the ills of this world. Amen!
Thank God your in America Poshpaws where crime is zero. There are no muggings, slayings or rapes here!!! Hooray.

I think you have to be resonable about this, your MIL was chosen because she was a little old and lady and easy pickings but this could happen to any of us anywhere. It doesn't mean we should loose our faith in Human Nature and the kindness of others. For the most part people are good, and you must beleive that.

Patrick
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, just what the world needed - another genius running around with a gun.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 6:06 pm
JeanDupont

Is anyone else here prepared to protect him/herself?

I was given three pieces of advice when I went for weapons training:
Always shoot first
Shoot to kill
Don't ever shoot them in the back

I am talking self defence here. I am no genius, nor am I any sort of crazy. But I believe I have a right to life and property and I will do what I have to to achieve that.

If you don't believe that what are you doing in the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Do none of you carry?

Dear Bookworm - I see you are in NY. Well I seem to remember the Sullivan Act forbade carrying of personal weapons there - but in other states we have a different view and it generally seems to work well for us, with notable exceptions.
I was in NYC recently and I must say it seemed a pretty safe sort of place now, much better than say 15 years ago when I lived there. I still missed that comforting lump of loaded metal though. You get kinda used to it.

Last edited by JeanDupont; Nov 28th 2003 at 6:11 pm.

Old Nov 28th 2003, 6:16 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

You just add to the problem.

And asking to be wasted.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 6:18 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Always shoot first
Shoot to kill
I don't have a gun but then again I am a wuss The only "gun" I ever fired was a BB rifle...and I fell backwards after I pulled the trigger!

Juliet
Old Nov 28th 2003, 6:25 pm
JeanDupont

Hey Scotch03 - are you for real - a pacifist- living in Schwarzenegger land?
Actually all joking aside - I have never resided in California - I have heard it is a "liberal" sort of place - is it anti-gun sentiment there generally?

This is a genuine question - I would like to know, I have mostly lived in the South / SouthWest apart from a while in NY so I am pretty ignorant of most of the USA.

Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Always shoot first
Shoot to kill

I am talking self defence here. I am no genius, nor am I any sort of crazy. But I believe I have a right to life and property and I will do what I have to to achieve that.

If you don't believe that what are you doing in the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Do none of you carry?

Dear Bookworm - I see you are in NY. Well I seem to remember the Sullivan Act forbade carrying of personal weapons there - but in other states we have a different view and it generally seems to work well for us, with notable exceptions.
I was in NYC recently and I must say it seemed a pretty safe sort of place now, much better than say 15 years ago when I lived there. I still missed that comforting lump of loaded metal though. You get kinda used to it.

Carry? Yes, I carry a lot of things - I carry my metro card, sometimes a book while riding the bus or a load of responsibility. Most of all - I carry common sense!
Yes, NY has baned carrying personal weapons - hmmm, might there be a connection that the city is quite safe now?

Of course, according to you - there are no accidental shootings or mistaken situations that end with killing a person who reaches for keys or kids getting a hold on their parents or neighbors guns. And from whom do gangs steal weapons or buy weapons if not from "free and brave" citizens like you or gun dealers.
I can't believe I'm having this conversation! There are few things I despise more than guns in the hands of "ordinary citizens".
And than you have the chuzpa to brag that you actually did kill somebody. Maybe it was self-defence - but to go around and brag with it is a most infantile thing. That is exactly my point!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sparkster is an unknown quantity at this point

This debate is pointless, becuase there are only two possible outcomes of it.

A to Ban guns
B to not ban guns

If you don't ban them, then nothing changes. If you do ban them then people will just carry knives, then what ban knives? then people will just carry something else. You can't bad all weapons and doing so is pointless people will get what they want somehow someway. The only solution is for the articles in question to have never been invented, but its too late for that.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 9:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I was given three pieces of advice when I went for weapons training: Always shoot first Shoot to kill
Your not all bad then...we carry most of the time.

Not forgetting the other rule..always drag the body back inside..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.