British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Artist and Student Loans (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/artist-student-loans-696841/)

jazzstandards Dec 13th 2010 11:50 pm

Artist and Student Loans

Hello, and thanks to those that post here with such useful information. I have come across this board a few times when researching for opinions and answers to problems.

I live in the US, and was just recently contacted at my family home address in England in regards to student loans, from the SLC, in regards to the loan I signed for when I was either seventeen or eighteen, and used so that I could afford the tuition I received whilst at University.

It obviously inquires about being abroad, apparently stating that I should have informed them before I left. Which I wasn't actually aware of. Anyway, of course I intend to immediately contact them back and go about this the right way, which will ultimately lead to paying it back when working and living again in the UK early next year.

However, my only concern regards how much of a pain of a neck it may be to prove that I am an artist, who has not received income anywhere near the thresholds, just getting by with the little I can earn, and support from the community and family/wife. I'm an artist experimenting with a bunch of forms, most specifically I play music in a group that is signed to an independent label, and have experienced success, however in a generation that doesn't enjoy the financial excess of those prior! So, the point is that I have quite literally kept together by the skin of my teeth, which I worry would initially create disbelief and further hassle, all of which I can't emotionally afford right now.

Finally, the whole point being is that I will be returning to live and work in the UK sometime in the Spring, and no later. Will declaring that help the situation be a little smoother?

Any advice on the matter would be well appreciated, naturally.

ian-mstm Dec 14th 2010 1:16 am

Re: Artist and Student Loans

Originally Posted by jazzstandards (Post 9038862)
I live in the US...

What is your status in the US?

However, my only concern regards how much of a pain of a neck it may be to prove that I am an artist, who has not received income anywhere near the thresholds, just getting by with the little I can earn, and support from the community and family/wife.
I would think that copies of your US tax returns will illustrate how much or how little you earn.

Ian

MoshiMoshi Dec 14th 2010 4:50 am

I sent them my latest update recently (over the last 7 years the SLC and I have written each other more letters than the Mitford sisters) and they were fine with a signed statement from my husband saying that he supports me financially. They didn't ask for proof of HIS salary (which we didn't specify) or anything further. I don't have any other income right now, but, back when I was living elsewhere in Europe and doing sporadic freelance work, I sent them three months' invoices and, again, this was fine (in both situations I was exempt from paying that year, although I know your repayment threshold differs depending on when your loan was issued).

So I'd suggest sending them a letter of support plus 3 months' proof of other income -- but if you haven't called their overseas assistance line already, then it would be worthwhile, so you can clarify what's the status of your account and which documents you really need to send them. Personally, I wouldn't be keen to send them a whole tax return unless necessary (just based on experience with them latching onto random figures when dealing with complicated foreign payslips -- I've had some very odd repayment schedules) but they might indeed want more detailed proof of your income for the entire time you've been overseas -- has it been very long?

Finally, I don't know if the fact you're moving back to the UK in the spring will matter much to them -- they'll probably just tell you to be sure to notify them when you do.

cdf85 Dec 14th 2010 5:47 pm

on this note, does anyone have any experience with paying back the SLC loans whilst working in the US. I will be working there by the end of the year so I assume I will need to inform them and make voluntary contributions? Any info is very much appreciated :-)

cdf85 Dec 14th 2010 5:49 pm

p.s. jazz standards good luck with your band, will you be continuing when you return to the UK? Hope it works out for you.

MoshiMoshi Dec 14th 2010 7:15 pm

cdf85: you can download a copy of the Overseas Income Assessment form here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...98/DG_10034872

If you definitely know how much you'll be earning in the US, then you can put it on the OIA form, but they'll almost certainly contact you again for proof (ie payslips) of this.

It's probably easier just send them a change of address form first (or call them), to keep them informed you're moving overseas, and then wait until after you've moved and you actually have a payslip to fill in the O.I.A. firm.

The key thing is to keep them updated about your location/status. If they need extra documents they'll ask for them. It generally takes them several weeks to respond to anything you send.

Bob Dec 14th 2010 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9038995)

I would think that copies of your US tax returns will illustrate how much or how little you earn.

Ian

You just have a letter from the life declaring that she is financially supporting you, problem solved.

goldchoccycoin Dec 14th 2010 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by cdf85 (Post 9040170)
on this note, does anyone have any experience with paying back the SLC loans whilst working in the US. I will be working there by the end of the year so I assume I will need to inform them and make voluntary contributions? Any info is very much appreciated :-)

Hi, I pay back my UK Student Loans from Australia. I kept my UK (HSBC) bank account open and transfer enough money across every few months to pay the monthly SLC amount. I use www.tranzfers.com and they are excellent - low fee and good rates.

Cheers.