Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Art etc in Chicago?

Art etc in Chicago?

Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question Art etc in Chicago?

I am going to be in Chicago on business next week and decided to stay an extra day and do a bit of sight-seeing, shopping etc.

Being an art lover, the Art Institute is obviously top of my list. Any suggestions re. other things I might take in before my plane leaves at 8 pm?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Art etc in Chicago?

Originally Posted by Elvira
I am going to be in Chicago on business next week and decided to stay an extra day and do a bit of sight-seeing, shopping etc.

Being an art lover, the Art Institute is obviously top of my list. Any suggestions re. other things I might take in before my plane leaves at 8 pm?

Thanks!
The art institute is huge, so to be honest if I were you I'd just take a trip up the sear's tower or hancock building and then hit the AI. You'll be able to spend 4 hours there easily.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
The art institute is huge, so to be honest if I were you I'd just take a trip up the sear's tower or hancock building and then hit the AI. You'll be able to spend 4 hours there easily.

Thanks!

I have all day though (my plane doesn't leave till 8 pm). Art gets slightly tiring after a few hours, even for an art lover such as myself, so I was thinking of taking in some other diversions. What else is there besides those skyscrapers?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:59 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

We went for a weekend in October.We went to the aquarium very nice.Went up the john hancock building and did the shopping on magnificent mile.I'd love to go now I bet the shops are decorated nice for christmas.I was surprised a lovely city.Did a lot of walking.Have a good time.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:05 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I have all day though (my plane doesn't leave till 8 pm). Art gets slightly tiring after a few hours, even for an art lover such as myself, so I was thinking of taking in some other diversions. What else is there besides those skyscrapers?
Well, you prob won't want to be walking about too much cos its absolutely freezing at the minute.
The AI is very close to the field museum (natural history), planeterium and aquarium.
If you want to shop the "magnificent mile" (Michigan Avenue) is close by too. Apparently Marshall Fields the department store "invented" rudolf the red-nosed reindeer. The store has just been bought by Macy's I think much to the disgust of locals, so this will be their last true Matshall Fields christmas.

Be warned that traffic in chicago sucks. You can get the blue line L to the airport (but the trains smell of wee) but if you're going to drive out from downtown it can take up to 2 hours at rush hour.

Good luck, and bring a coat.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:25 pm
Homebody

Be warned that traffic in chicago sucks. You can get the blue line L to the airport (but the trains smell of wee) but if you're going to drive out from downtown it can take up to 2 hours at rush hour.

Good luck, and bring a coat.

I travel to Chiacgo lots on business and wouldn't dream of renting a car :scared: I'm actually staying at the Westin, so the places you mention should all be pretty close. I like fish and sea creatures (to eat and to look at ), so I think I'll try the aquarium.

I have never actually taken the blue line to the airport but I thought I might give it a go this time. Good idea.... or not?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:02 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

You've got the right idea. Art Institute (which you could easily spend all day in) and then the Aquarium. They're my two favorite touristy things to do here.

Avoid the Field (not much neat stuff other than Sue the T Rex) and the Planetarium (too small).

If you have some time left, I would go down Michigan to the Hancock Center. I think it's got a better view of the city than the Sears as it's right on the Lake and that way you'll get to see the Mag Mile.

Also, as other have warned, it's really f**king cold here right now. Bring a hat.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:11 pm
Thinking about it

I travel to Chiacgo lots on business and wouldn't dream of renting a car :scared: I'm actually staying at the Westin, so the places you mention should all be pretty close. I like fish and sea creatures (to eat and to look at ), so I think I'll try the aquarium.

I have never actually taken the blue line to the airport but I thought I might give it a go this time. Good idea.... or not?
Hiro might be able to give you better advice on the blue line as I'm in the suburbs and don't use it too often.
$1.75 will get you to O'Hare I think, though I'm not sure which terminal.
As long as you don't have too much luggage it should be a doddle, and if you can get a train that doesn't smell of wee then you are truly blessed.

Last edited by BigDavyG; Dec 5th 2005 at 8:30 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:27 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiro might be able to give you better advice on the blue line as I'm in the suburbs and don't use it too often.
$1.75 will get you to O'Hare I think, though I'm not sure which terminal.
As long as you don't have too much luggage it should be a doddle, and if you can get a train that doesn't smell of wee then you are truely blessed.
It comes in on the lower level with direct access to terminals 1, 2 and 3 (the vast majority of flights). You can take a quick tram to terminal 5 if you need to.

The blue line is a good idea if you're traveling at rush hour or need to save a few bucks.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:35 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It comes in on the lower level with direct access to terminals 1, 2 and 3 (the vast majority of flights). You can take a quick tram to terminal 5 if you need to.

The blue line is a good idea if you're traveling at rush hour or need to save a few bucks.
Thanks - I think I'll be brave and check it out!