British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Arriving at airport process of green card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/arriving-airport-process-green-card-634843/)

Tonyuk Oct 9th 2009 7:25 pm

Arriving at airport process of green card

Anyone care to share there experience of what happens when you arrive at airport with the processing and how long it takes etc. Hope it dont take too long as i got to take my 2 year old daughter, cheers

meauxna Oct 9th 2009 7:39 pm

Re: Arriving at airport process of green card

Originally Posted by Tonyuk (Post 8004286)
Anyone care to share there experience of what happens when you arrive at airport with the processing and how long it takes etc. Hope it dont take too long as i got to take my 2 year old daughter, cheers

As a matter o' fact, I've got this.

Arriving In America: Navigating the POE
The following article is for Immigrant Visa holders arriving in the US for the first time with their visa: Welcome to America!

Tonyuk Oct 9th 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8004331)
As a matter o' fact, I've got this.

Arriving In America: Navigating the POE
The following article is for Immigrant Visa holders arriving in the US for the first time with their visa: Welcome to America!

jeffreyhy Oct 9th 2009 10:16 pm

My wife got to do it with her 2 year-old son. After a 25 hour flight (including the layovers, 20 hours in the air.) She survived, and so did he. She gave him periodic doses of cold medicine to keep him drowsy the whole trip.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Tonyuk (Post 8004286)

henryh Oct 10th 2009 6:47 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 8004672)
She gave him periodic doses of cold medicine to keep him drowsy the whole trip.

Wow. I don't mean to be nosey, but isn't that a little dodgy?

sime303 Oct 10th 2009 6:52 am

Originally Posted by henryh (Post 8005537)
Wow. I don't mean to be nosey, but isn't that a little dodgy?

just curious, but why?

Tonyuk Oct 10th 2009 8:48 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 8004672)
My wife got to do it with her 2 year-old son. After a 25 hour flight (including the layovers, 20 hours in the air.) She survived, and so did he. She gave him periodic doses of cold medicine to keep him drowsy the whole trip.

Regards, JEff

i was reading statistics on mothers who drug there kids on long haul flights and its over half said yes on a survey, but in a 20hr flight im completely sympathetic when they get over tired people would think your murdering your child with some of the noises. I got some promethazine syrup from the doctors yesterday incase she needs it, gonna get her up early day of flight and wear her out and make sure shes all fed before i consider using it, but i dont want a plane of angry passengers who paid £700 for there tickets to listen to my daughter for 10hrs

ian-mstm Oct 10th 2009 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by henryh (Post 8005537)
I don't mean to be nosey, but isn't that a little dodgy?

Why do you think so?

Ian

merz Oct 10th 2009 8:11 pm

Drugging a child for a flight is a bit strange and dodgy. I couldn't care less how much people have paid for their seats.

Children cry and get bored, I think most people understand that.
It is the actions of the parent that worry me more. A few years ago I was on a flight to Tampa and parents put their children next to me, put in earplugs and went to sleep. Luckily I am not a weirdo and amused them, and myself, for the journey.

However I may want to try that drugging trick for my daughter as she kicks up a fuss demanding Duty free items at inappropiate times and making me pay.

She is 20 so it may not be child abuse.:D

ian-mstm Oct 10th 2009 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by merz (Post 8006625)
Drugging a child for a flight is a bit strange and dodgy.

In the US, dodgy means "dishonest", "corrupt", "crooked", "devious"... ad nauseum. Does "dodgy" mean something different elsewhere in the world than it does in the US? The child sleeps and the parent (and everyone else) enjoys the flight. I wish more people would drug their children before take off.

Ian

Noorah101 Oct 10th 2009 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8006660)
In the US, dodgy means "dishonest", "corrupt", "crooked", "devious"... ad nauseum. Does "dodgy" mean something different elsewhere in the world than it does in the US? The child sleeps and the parent (and everyone else) enjoys the flight. I wish more people would drug their children before take off.

Ian

I agree with Ian. If the kid were sick, he'd be taking cold medicine anyway, making him drowsy. I'm an adult and I sometimes take a dose of Nyquil even when I'm not sick, if I know I need to get a good night's sleep. I'm glad for people like JEff's wife and TonyUK, since I'm one of those people who hates sitting next to a fussy child, even on a 2-hour flight, never mind 20 hours!

Rene

Sally Redux Oct 10th 2009 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 8005544)
just curious, but why?

Personally I wouldn't do it, either.

Sorry, I've quoted the wrong person, meant to be henryh

merz Oct 10th 2009 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8006660)

Ian

UK meaning for dodgy is the same. Drugging babies became a bad idea long before my Mam dipped my dummy in the whiskey.
Children being gripey, is nothing compared to adults being total tw*ts.
The last two flights I was on featured adults who needed drugging and/or beating.
Welsh duo noisily kissing/slurping and demanding more booze and Scottish couple 'coughing/farting couple' who had a major row and then made up by making mewing noises. :blink:

THAT was disturbing. Give me a screeching kid any day.

Sorry Tony for hijacking your thread and making it an anti-drugging-screaming-kids rant :) I will probably rue the day I opposed it the next time I encounter the child from hell who screams like a banshee.

Tonyuk Oct 10th 2009 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by merz (Post 8006677)
UK meaning for dodgy is the same. Drugging babies became a bad idea long before my Mam dipped my dummy in the whiskey.
Children being gripey, is nothing compared to adults being total tw*ts.
The last two flights I was on featured adults who needed drugging and/or beating.
Welsh duo noisily kissing/slurping and demanding more booze and Scottish couple 'coughing/farting couple' who had a major row and then made up by making mewing noises. :blink:

THAT was disturbing. Give me a screeching kid any day.

Sorry Tony for hijacking your thread and making it an anti-drugging-screaming-kids rant :) I will probably rue the day I opposed it the next time I encounter the child from hell who screams like a banshee.

Lol dont be i like the amusement, gonna miss the british sense of humour in america when people look at us confused

sime303 Oct 11th 2009 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Tonyuk (Post 8006762)
Lol dont be i like the amusement, gonna miss the british sense of humour in america when people look at us confused

Oh and they will :D