Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Arrived San Antonio - Hot!!!!!!!!

Arrived San Antonio - Hot!!!!!!!!

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 4:59 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived San Antonio - Hot!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by DaveC
I'm with you, bring the heat on. I've got 30 years of grey European weather to get over. I didn't know 'til I moved here but it turns out I'm actually a lizard.
I like to think I'm a lizard... but every year I manage to burn myself silly on the first sunny day of the year.

...which was early February this year, when I turned my balding head scarlet at my daughters' outdoor soccer matches. Damn, I felt like an idiot on Monday, with sunburn in Feb!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

britex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Welcome to Texas, enjoy the spring while it lasts
hi welcome too s/a this is cool right now .san antonio has a few brits .you have look under rocks we are trying too keep cool .hope you like august:curse:
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:42 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Welcome to Texas!!!

I love the heat and love living here... after living in Alberta for eight years and having 6 months of snow and freezing temperatures every winter... life is now good!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:26 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys been a bit busy "getting in" as I think someone put it earlier in the post.

It was a nice and cool day today so much better. Have realised that I am gonna need a car to escape this heat (and for many other reasons) and am searching for a v.cheap second hand cash only jobbie.

Also going down the SS office tommorow so should be great.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 1:52 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I like to think I'm a lizard... but every year I manage to burn myself silly on the first sunny day of the year.

...which was early February this year, when I turned my balding head scarlet at my daughters' outdoor soccer matches. Damn, I felt like an idiot on Monday, with sunburn in Feb!
Can tell the Brit tourists in FL by their 'lobster tans'
Old Apr 5th 2007, 2:21 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
It was a nice and cool day today so much better. Have realised that I am gonna need a car to escape this heat (and for many other reasons) and am searching for a v.cheap second hand cash only jobbie.

Take a book, some laundry to sort, and your taxes to file, all to SS office....

Today was absolutely spectacular weatherwise for an April Texas day. The high was about 70 degrees F and the forecast for Easter is 55 F.

I am trying to absorb the cool breeze through every pore of my being because the long hot summer lies ahead. Make sure the AC on your v.cheap car has been serviced recently because it's v.expensive to repair.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 2:27 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Take a book, some laundry to sort, and your taxes to file, all to SS office....

Today was absolutely spectacular weatherwise for an April Texas day. The high was about 70 degrees F and the forecast for Easter is 55 F.

I am trying to absorb the cool breeze through every pore of my being because the long hot summer lies ahead. Make sure the AC on your v.cheap car has been serviced recently because it's v.expensive to repair.
Another thing to check is the transmission which if messed up, might cost you what you pay for your car to fix.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys been a bit busy "getting in" as I think someone put it earlier in the post.

Have fun at the SS office, it's a blast!
I remember the day I went to the SS office in down town Fort Worth.
Had only been here a couple of days and was trying to get used to hubby's car (he was here six weeks before me).

Anyway I lost his car and had to call him crying telling him his son was all sun burnt and that I had lost his precious vehicle!
When I say lost I technically mean forgot where I had parked the bloody thing. It was fine in the same spot I left it under a 12ft sign for the Texas De Brazil restaurant I had parked next to!

I was to preoccupied with the task in hand to take my surroundings into consideration, well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. He still casts it up any time I go down town, try not to loose your car!!! Blah blah blah!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:53 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richardowen
Welcome from Austin - I've been here for 3 months. The weather is nice right now but I too am feeling it a little. it's true that there's some proper hot weather around the corner... My wife is insisting we don't put the A/C on till it's 90 degrees... !

I figure it's pay back for when she wanted the heating on in London.

make sure you get a car that has decent A/C !

Rich./
Now I feel like real pussy...we've already had our AC on and it was only in the 80's.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

britex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ironporer
Now I feel like real pussy...we've already had our AC on and it was only in the 80's.
right you dont need the a/c just the windows open i think it takes about a week for the s/s number
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the States.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:40 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the advice. Went to the SS office with a brit girl I work with and we had a right laugh down there - loads of people watching and being told not to talk because we wouldnt be able to hear them call out our number! Anyway, they said my SSN could take 3 weeks and refused to give me a temporary one so will just have to sit and wait.

On the car issue, Im just looking for something around $2-3K that I can run around campus on and get to Walmart and the odd golf course etc. Something that will give me just a little bit of freedom. Dont like the look of the buses around here at all!!! Had quite a few good leads so far from Craigslist etc so hopefully wont be long.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 6:24 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

On the car issue, Im just looking for something around $2-3K that I can run around campus on and get to Walmart and the odd golf course etc. Something that will give me just a little bit of freedom. Dont like the look of the buses around here at all!!! Had quite a few good leads so far from Craigslist etc so hopefully wont be long.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 2:44 pm
You're all mugs!

That will do - is it for sale?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:52 pm
Lapine Member

That will do - is it for sale?
I believe so -- the business takes golf carts and customises them.

Wonder if you'd qualify for the federal tax break for buying a hybrid vehicle?