Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ARRIVED! - Now moved to Maplewood, NJ

ARRIVED! - Now moved to Maplewood, NJ

Old Feb 16th 2020, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

OldWindsor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARRIVED! - Now moved to Maplewood, NJ

Hi All, My wife and I have asked a few questions on here over the past months whilst we got the move underway. We have now moved to Maplewood, NJ with our two small dogs. Happy to field questions about what we did re. Visa (L1 and L2), bringing the dogs, looking at rentals - budgets etc.

In return, if there are any Brits that are around Maplewood that can recommend good places to hang out, meet people and integrate - We would both be most grateful. Likewise any advice about where we can go and what we can do with the dogs around the area. Likewise - Just nice to meet people locally!!
Old Feb 16th 2020, 4:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARRIVED! - Now moved to Maplewood, NJ

Originally Posted by OldWindsor
Hi All, My wife and I have asked a few questions on here over the past months whilst we got the move underway. We have now moved to Maplewood, NJ with our two small dogs. Happy to field questions about what we did re. Visa (L1 and L2), bringing the dogs, looking at rentals - budgets etc.

In return, if there are any Brits that are around Maplewood that can recommend good places to hang out, meet people and integrate - We would both be most grateful. Likewise any advice about where we can go and what we can do with the dogs around the area. Likewise - Just nice to meet people locally!!
Hope you enjoy NJ. Have you got your dogs set up with all the essential rabies, Lyme, heartworm, flea and tick protection?
Old Feb 16th 2020, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

OldWindsor is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep - Had all the immunisations back in UK for rabies and we regularly use flea / tick protection.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 4:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - Had all the immunisations back in UK for rabies and we regularly use flea / tick protection.
Heartworm, too? It's important in these parts!
Old Feb 16th 2020, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Teddy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

May I ask how you got the dogs there? Did you use a pet carrier service?

Have you had any unexpected costs?

We are moving to NJ in 6 weeks with our cocker spaniel.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Maplewood - it's a great town, I bought a house here just over a year ago

South Mountain Reservation is close by and good for dog walks I believe, they have trails and a couple of dog parks.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts once you've settled in a little more. I've been in the US since 2008. I lived in NYC until 2015, and then moved to Colorado with my wife, but we want to move back to the NYC area at some point in the next year, and Maplewood is on our list of towns. Do you commute into NYC? One of our criteria is a walkable main street/downtown area, does Maplewood have much going on? We live in Denver, which is nice enough, but it's pretty boring and it's nice that we live in a fairly upscale area, but it doesn't have much within walking distance. We both like Nyack but that's probably too awkward of a commute. We're also planning on looking at Montclair. Did you rent or buy? We're looking for at least 3 bed, would probably buy, but are open to renting the first year or two just to make sure it's where we want to be long term. We have young twins so are looking for the place we're happy to settle down.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations! Straight into suburbia, how come you ended up there out of interest? I don’t know that area that well but there should be many parks and green spaces for the dogs. Nearby I recommend the turtle back zoo for a visit, having been there this weekend and enjoyed it a lot (it’s in orange but not far by car, just a few minutes away).
Old Feb 21st 2020, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

claphamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Jumping on this to say it's really important that you take this very seriously (am a vet) and make sure your regular flea/tick/worm protection is correct for your region and has the right active ingredients. Take your local vet's advice ASAP if you haven't already. They are exposed to many more endemic and different parasites than what you are used to in the UK, and so the regimen you will need to follow is different.