Reload this Page >

Arranging for transfer of air freight from SFO airport to apartment

Arranging for transfer of air freight from SFO airport to apartment

Old Aug 3rd 2017, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

RelocatingBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arranging for transfer of air freight from SFO airport to apartment

Hi all,
I have now moved to US as of last Saturday. Home sickness has not started yet. My feelings before arriving here and after arriving here are unchanged (I have been bang on neutral the whole time). The weather is perfect of-course.

Many things to do but on the top of the list right now is collecting and transporting our air shipped goods from San Francisco airport to our new home. Anyone has any advice on companies that we could use please? I am told that some companies will collect and transport our goods without requiring us to be present at the airport but I have no names? Thank you in advance for all help.
Thanks,
RelocatingBrit
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arranging for transfer of air freight from SFO airport to apartment

Originally Posted by RelocatingBrit
Anyone has any advice on companies that we could use please? I am told that some companies will collect and transport our goods without requiring us to be present at the airport but I have no names? Thank you in advance for all help.
I think the company that moved our stuff here might help. You need a "Clearing agent". I'll have to call mine in the morning and check for you. Is your stuff actually at SFO right now ? Is it "cleared" ?

PM me for the details - the site rules don't let us post names and numbers directly.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, wot Steve said! .... Where is your stuff - cleared or still in a bonded warehouse? How much stuff is there (value)?

We air-shipped a couple of trunks which were cleared for us and we rented a van and just collected them. I have also cleared a shipment myself (not at SFO) which meant a lot of chasing paper and signatures around various buildings on the airport complex - then having it loaded into my truck. IIRC you can only clear your own shipment if it is worth less than $2,500.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

RelocatingBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi both, the shipment has only just arrived as of yesterday afternoon. We were under the impression that it was to be cleared for us by our removals agent- they collected all the paperwork from us; and that we just had to collect it at SFO. I just called United Cargo and was told that the removals agent have not uploaded an AMS so it won't go through customs until this has been done- unfortunately it is already end of business in UK today so nothing will happen until tomorrow! Definitely starting to panic now. It's worth $4500 unfortunately, seems nothing I can do from my end.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, wot Steve said! .... Where is your stuff - cleared or still in a bonded warehouse? How much stuff is there (value)?

We air-shipped a couple of trunks which were cleared for us and we rented a van and just collected them. I have also cleared a shipment myself (not at SFO) which meant a lot of chasing paper and signatures around various buildings on the airport complex - then having it loaded into my truck. IIRC you can only clear your own shipment if it is worth less than $2,500.