Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Arranging a Move to the USA

Arranging a Move to the USA

Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

blantonnick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arranging a Move to the USA

Hi there, myself, my wife and our three year old are considering a move to the US from the UK.

A little background - I am a US citizen and moved to the UK around 4 years ago. My wife and daughter are both UK citizens.

We are considering moving to the US and settling down in the northeast region. A few questions that hopefully this forum and its members could answer...
1. What are your recommendations for shipping belongings, clothing, etc?
2. Do you have any tips/suggested websites we should visit to cover school issues, housing, etc etc...
3. Do you have any advice and suggestions?

I know these questions are vague but we are still in the contemplation process. The employer that I possibly may work for can sort out a Visa for my wife so that is not an immediate concern. I have previously worked with this employer in the past for a number of years and it is originally where my wife and I met before moving to the UK four years ago.

Please fill me in on any advice or information you may deem important to our circumstances. Thanks in advance,
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arranging a Move to the USA

hi there,

I'l make a quick pitch for the search feature; almost any city or state you want to know about has been discussed in detail. Since you have a potential job, you may be able to narrow it down from 'northeast'.

Use 'removals' or 'shipping' for tons of returns on that topic. Same for schools.

Also visit the wiki here at BE (blue bar, top of page) for lots of city data and practical info.

You can sort out the visa for your wife yourself; leave about 5-6 months before planned departure to start that (like now?). The 2 links in my signature address your situation specifically.

Happy planning!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blantonnick
My wife and daughter are both UK citizens.
If your daughter is also a US citizen, she'll need a US passport to enter the US.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome.

suggest looking at www.city-data.com and www.greatschools.net
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Hi and welcome.

suggest looking at www.city-data.com and www.greatschools.net
Those are both good sites. I'd also recommend the wiki here on education as it addresses some of the issues you've probably forgotten about since your time in school.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

Have a look through the marriage based forums, you might have an easier option than most bringing your wife over, especially not having to bother with a work visa, DCF is what you ideally want to do if your eligible.

Read through the wiki, lots of good basic info to get you started. Also look at craigslist to get an idea of what's available for rent in the areas you are interested in.

Other things to sort out, kids vaccinations and record, get that sorted, also, depending on kids age, school transcripts, copy of birth certificates.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If your daughter is also a US citizen, she'll need a US passport to enter the US.

Ian
ooh, and Mr OP might look at UK citz for himself.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
ooh, and Mr OP might look at UK citz for himself.
Absolutely! Don't leave without it! I'm very sorry I didn't take the time to do it before we left....
Old Oct 28th 2009, 1:07 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

2. Do you have any tips/suggested websites we should visit to cover school issues, housing, etc etc...
Check out School Choice International (www.schoolchoiceintl.com) who offer comparisons on curriculums from one Country to the next. They have very reasonable deals to provide access to their Global Education Explorer software that lets you have a good look through details. And NO I don't work for them so it's not a sales pitch
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

a) I am a US citizen and moved to the UK around 4 years ago. My wife and daughter are both UK citizens.

b) The employer that I possibly may work for can sort out a Visa for my wife so that is not an immediate concern.
a) To reiterate and expand on above answers; Your daughter is likely a US Citizen already as she probably inherited that from you. If you tell us how long you lived in the US and at what age you left we can confirm that for you. As a USC she MUST enter the US on a US passport (it's the law). If you attempt to get her admitted to the US using a UK passport on the VWP something you are going to have issues.

b) Don't even consider that.....you have the best possible visa category at your disposal - an IR-1 visa - to not use that and get an employment visa for your wife would be ludicrous.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

blantonnick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a) To reiterate and expand on above answers; Your daughter is likely a US Citizen already as she probably inherited that from you. If you tell us how long you lived in the US and at what age you left we can confirm that for you. As a USC she MUST enter the US on a US passport (it's the law). If you attempt to get her admitted to the US using a UK passport on the VWP something you are going to have issues.

b) Don't even consider that.....you have the best possible visa category at your disposal - an IR-1 visa - to not use that and get an employment visa for your wife would be ludicrous.
Would my wife still be eligible for the IR-1 Visa even though we originally got married in the US then I moved over to the UK. Now we want to move back out to the States???
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Would my wife still be eligible for the IR-1 Visa even though we originally got married in the US then I moved over to the UK. Now we want to move back out to the States???
Doesn't matter where you got married. Just the fact that you are married is enough. Listen to everyone. The IR-1 is the way to go. The fact that you've been married over 2 years will get her the 10 year green card.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:26 pm

Your wife is eligible to immigrate as an Immediate Relative of a US citizen (spouse), the very front of the line to a green card.
The visa is an Immigrant Visa, (class IR-1 if you have been married over 2 years).

The two links in my signature are specifically for USCs living overseas who want to bring their foreign spouse to the US.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you imagine she wouldn't be eligible?