Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

arr hubby having major driving issues

arr hubby having major driving issues

Old May 3rd 2008, 1:14 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: arr hubby having major driving issues

Thanks all - we are going to the DMV office AGAIN now to see if tey have this fax - it has def been sent 3 times and the uk office has a reciept of delivery so either they have given us the wrong number or are just plain lying!!

if no luck we are going to another office to start again!
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mellybrown
Thanks all - we are going to the DMV office AGAIN now to see if tey have this fax - it has def been sent 3 times and the uk office has a reciept of delivery so either they have given us the wrong number or are just plain lying!!

I've got my fingers crossed for you xx
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
That's right the IDL is only valid when accompanied with your UK license, but this then allows you to drive in America with the IDL and your UK license I think for up to a year.
The "IDL" means nothing when your original license is in English anyway, the international priving permit is a translation only, nothing more.

If you become a resident of a state and you have LPR status you have a set amount of time (quite often this is only 30 days) to get a state license otherwise you are ineligible to drive. Having an IDL is irrelevant and does not nullify the state requirement.
Old May 3rd 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Mel,
let me know if I can help. I would suggest you try another driving centre if these silly f#ckers mess you about too much more.
Old May 3rd 2008, 2:12 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Mel, you're dealing with ain incompetent DMV office. You need to give up NOW and try another office. This bullshit about taking your husband's UK license off him isn't going to go away, and it's WRONG, and they're WRONG to demand it.

Find another DMV office and start again.
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:19 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Well seems someones crossed fingers helped!! They had the fax (yesterday it came grr) so he took the theory and is gonna make an appointment to sit the test on weds cos it was really busy. AND he didnt have to give in his licence as they had this fax - I want my provisional back!!!
Old May 3rd 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Mel, you're dealing with ain incompetent DMV office. You need to give up NOW and try another office. This bullshit about taking your husband's UK license off him isn't going to go away, and it's WRONG, and they're WRONG to demand it.
That was my original thought when I heard of some DMVs taking your UK license off you.

Bur for some states, they do this, and in fact it's the law. So it's not "wrong", even though we all feel they shouldn't be allowed to do it.
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Well seems someones crossed fingers helped!! They had the fax (yesterday it came grr) so he took the theory and is gonna make an appointment to sit the test on weds cos it was really busy. AND he didnt have to give in his licence as they had this fax - I want my provisional back!!!
Whoo-hoo, so the hunt for a car is on! So glad everything is working out, it's a nightmare trying to set everything up in a new country! Have a lovely stress-free afternoon, a few beers should help!
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:33 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
That was my original thought when I heard of some DMVs taking your UK license off you.

Bur for some states, they do this, and in fact it's the law. So it's not "wrong", even though we all feel they shouldn't be allowed to do it.
I'm don't think that's correct. Many, if not all, states take your out-of-state license from you, but I don't believe that any of them are entitled to take a foreign license from the license holder.

The fact that many, many DMV offices think they need to confiscate and destroy all other licenses held by applicants doesn't make it correct.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. If I could be arsed, I guess I could search each state DMV for some definitive statement on the matter.
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was of the same opinion as you mate, and also adamant about it until I was humbled and corrected by forum members who knew better - I was also provided with links. If I can find that thread I'll link to it. There are a number of states for which this is the law, and I believe GA is one of them.

You will also see, if you check, that the DVLA also confiscate the license of a USC who becomes a permanent resident in the UK....
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ahhh...here it is....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522235

Post 29 will be of particular interest to Melly....sorry Mel.
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:49 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

dont suppose anyone knows of anything on the DMV website that says you dont have to show your UK licence??????????
I think it's because the DMV are required as far as I am aware and its happened to me everytime I changed state,to actually hand in your old licence and I am thinking that regardless of it being a UK licence or not, the person you spoke to asked you for it not aware that a it was not mandatory for non US licences.
Old May 4th 2008, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
the person you spoke to asked you for it not aware that a it was not mandatory for non US licences.
But that's the point: In GA, it IS mandatory.
Old May 4th 2008, 8:26 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm don't think that's correct. Many, if not all, states take your out-of-state license from you, but I don't believe that any of them are entitled to take a foreign license from the license holder.

The fact that many, many DMV offices think they need to confiscate and destroy all other licenses held by applicants doesn't make it correct.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. If I could be arsed, I guess I could search each state DMV for some definitive statement on the matter.
Yeah surprised me to find out that they are supposed to take your licence from you in GA.

Like you said though go to another office and don't offer up the info. about the UK licence.

Last edited by sime303; May 4th 2008 at 8:28 am.
Old May 4th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I ain't gonna go through reading all these posts, so if this has already been said please forgive me
Don't even show them you UK licence
NO DMV center is interested in it, they don't need it, just ask for a learner permit, take the easy peasy driving test and carry on as normal.

In actual fact I think the stateside driving tests are not only extreemely easy, they are far too easy Which explains why most Americans have no idea about driving rules, merging traffic, using entrance ramps to highways, roundabouts, or stop here on red lines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.