Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

arr hubby having major driving issues

arr hubby having major driving issues

Old May 2nd 2008, 6:29 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: arr hubby having major driving issues

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Highly doubtful. US states don't care if you are licensed to drive in another country.
Not necessarily true. I'm not aware of any states that care about the UK, but for example, you can exchange a German license for an Oregon one.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:30 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
dont suppose anyone knows of anything on the DMV website that says you dont have to show your UK licence??????????
Hey Mel try this.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...41471757&ty=dl

States on there if they know about him having a licence he has to surrender it.

Last edited by sime303; May 2nd 2008 at 6:33 pm.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

but they wont let him take the test!! Because they know he has a uk licence now, and they want it off him!!! I really dont understand it

he is SO stressed!
Your husband has put himself in an awkward situation by mentioning his British license. Does the DMV website specifically state that foreign issued driving licenses must be surrendered before obtaining a GA one? If not, then your husband is entitled to retain his British licence.

I would suggest he simply offer to take all parts of the GA driving test in order to get his US driving license.

Edit: I read the link in the post above. If I were you, I'd go to a different DMV office and start afresh, this time not mentioning holding a British driving licence.

Last edited by NC Penguin; May 2nd 2008 at 6:37 pm.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's pretty crap. Maybe you can go down there during when the UK is also still open and call the DVLA while you're in there.

But it seems you can order a replacement UK licence without having to re-take the tests etc. Just need to fill out a form and send a cheque.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:42 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
But it seems you can order a replacement UK licence without having to re-take the tests etc. Just need to fill out a form and send a cheque.

That's what I would do. They destroy it anyway and the DVLA will just send a duplicate.
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

And it's not like you can't use the GA one in the UK, you can use it for up to 12 months once (/if!) you go back.
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

so we went to the drivers place yesterday - i gave my uk provisional and got my us learners permit no probs.

hubby only has uk paper licence cos he is an idiot and never upgraded to the card. DMV are refusing to accept it, wont even let him fill out a form to sit the theory. They wanted some proff from uk DVLA (cant remember what) so he got the dvla to fax him it yesterday, dmv here say he printed it off internet and want it faxed to them....they have faxed it to them, but he has been 4 times in the last 2 days and they are saying they have recieved nothing. They dont have a phone number so he has to keep driving up there to ask if tghey have it. its STUPID!!! our car rental runs out next week, and we cant afford to extend it! Cant buy a car without a US licence, and he is mucho stressed.

And why did they take my UK provisional off me, and they said they would take his UK licence off him, until they wouldnt accept it!!!!
Why do they need something so he can sit the theory?

I only had a paper license, I just took the theory and the driving test 2 weeks later and that was it. But that was NYC.
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Did your hubby ever apply for an international drivers license? I know people on here say they are not worth the paper they are written on, but your hubby would be able to drive on this for some time whilst he gets the US license sorted. My friend has driven on her's in Jersey for a year and is now taking her test.

Also if your hubby shows the international license at the DMV they would use this as proof of his license. I showed my international license in both AZ and NJ and just had to take the theory test, also they never took the international license off me. He might be able to do this if you can go to another DMV as others have suggested. Some insurance providers will also insure you with an international license so that shouldn't be a problem if and when (or you can) buy a car. When are you able to take your driver's test?

I feel for you, it always seems like one thing after another when you move to the US, things will get easier though once you get past all the form filling!
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

The GA DMV states on it's site (as posted above) that an out of country licence will be taken in. Which figures because of course when you exchange something you are getting one thing and giving another. It's not exchanging when you keep them both!
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Get your husband to go to another drivers test centre, take lease agreement for your premises,passport with immigration I-551 stamp or GC,plus SS card.Dont even mention UK licence and dont produce it.(Its a Govt document from the UK tell to be surrendered only by you NOT them, IF they ASK ONLY. DONT volunteer it ).Show your docs and sit test.See DMV GA site at bottom of drivers licence page,self explanatary. I passed mine 3 weeks ago in NC,Easy peasy ! Best Wishes.
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, phone the main DMV office in GA, there should be someone there who deals with licenses for nasty foreigners, and they will be able to tell you what to do.
We have had some issues with our little bodunk DMV, and phoning the head office worked a treat.
Old May 3rd 2008, 2:32 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
Did your hubby ever apply for an international drivers license? I know people on here say they are not worth the paper they are written on, but your hubby would be able to drive on this for some time whilst he gets the US license sorted. My friend has driven on her's in Jersey for a year and is now taking her test.
" There is no legally valid document titled “International Driver’s License.” Foreign citizens may obtain an International Driving Permit from their government that serves as an English translation of their original license. The foreign license must accompany the International Driving Permit for it to be considered valid"

www.dds.ga.gov/business/LE_Update_Winter2007.pdf
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:59 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

when we did our tests in ohio in november - we took our uk licenses and showed them. they wrote numbers down and then gave them back. we then sat written, then practical and then were issued new ohio ones - no problem. you must either have a ankward office - or be in a finicky state.

i would also try a different office too. worst case they say the same thing but hopefully they wont be so anal.
Old May 3rd 2008, 7:39 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Indiana didn't even wanna see my UK licence.

I sat the theory, got a learner permit, then 60 days later drove 300 yards and passed my practical.

then 3 months later got my actual licence after central verification made sure I wasn't a terrorist.
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
" There is no legally valid document titled “International Driver’s License.” Foreign citizens may obtain an International Driving Permit from their government that serves as an English translation of their original license. The foreign license must accompany the International Driving Permit for it to be considered valid"

www.dds.ga.gov/business/LE_Update_Winter2007.pdf
That's right the IDL is only valid when accompanied with your UK license, but this then allows you to drive in America with the IDL and your UK license I think for up to a year. When I went to the DMV in Jersey to get my state license they only wanted the details from my IDL over my UK license, I told them I had both and they said the IDL was all they needed!

Not sure though Melly if your hubby could go and buy a car with this type of license, although if you could get approval for car insurance then I don't think there would be a problem.

Melly I did find this on the Georgia DMV site that might help temporarily with regards to IDL/P

http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/in...er-permits.php

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.