British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   arr hubby having major driving issues (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/arr-hubby-having-major-driving-issues-533879/)

mellybrown May 2nd 2008 3:43 pm

arr hubby having major driving issues

so we went to the drivers place yesterday - i gave my uk provisional and got my us learners permit no probs.

hubby only has uk paper licence cos he is an idiot and never upgraded to the card. DMV are refusing to accept it, wont even let him fill out a form to sit the theory. They wanted some proff from uk DVLA (cant remember what) so he got the dvla to fax him it yesterday, dmv here say he printed it off internet and want it faxed to them....they have faxed it to them, but he has been 4 times in the last 2 days and they are saying they have recieved nothing. They dont have a phone number so he has to keep driving up there to ask if tghey have it. its STUPID!!! our car rental runs out next week, and we cant afford to extend it! Cant buy a car without a US licence, and he is mucho stressed.

And why did they take my UK provisional off me, and they said they would take his UK licence off him, until they wouldnt accept it!!!!

chicagojlo May 2nd 2008 3:56 pm

Re: arr hubby having major driving issues

Because you offered it up to them in the first place. In order to 'exchange' it you have to give it to them. When you move states that's what you do and they probably assumed it was the same for intl drivers.

If he has the documents needed to sit the written test then tell him to just do that, then go right on through to the drivers test. There must be other facilities in ATL that you can go to.

Mallory May 2nd 2008 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6298784)
so we went to the drivers place yesterday - i gave my uk provisional and got my us learners permit no probs.

hubby only has uk paper licence cos he is an idiot and never upgraded to the card. DMV are refusing to accept it, wont even let him fill out a form to sit the theory. They wanted some proff from uk DVLA (cant remember what) so he got the dvla to fax him it yesterday, dmv here say he printed it off internet and want it faxed to them....they have faxed it to them, but he has been 4 times in the last 2 days and they are saying they have recieved nothing. They dont have a phone number so he has to keep driving up there to ask if tghey have it. its STUPID!!! our car rental runs out next week, and we cant afford to extend it! Cant buy a car without a US licence, and he is mucho stressed.

And why did they take my UK provisional off me, and they said they would take his UK licence off him, until they wouldnt accept it!!!!

Study the highway code book for GA really well. Get your hubby to drive you up to Canton, Georgia. It's north of Marietta, and it's much quieter up there traffice wise. Go and take YOUR driving test. It's very easy, and you will probably pass. Then one of you will be able to drive.

We used to live in Marietta, and I took my son up there because the traffic is not so bad.

CitySimon May 2nd 2008 4:02 pm

So basically you've handed in your British drivers license? Not sure that I'd have done the same.

If they are having issues with the paper licenses from the UK, why doesn't your OH just apply for a learners permit and just go through the test to get his US license?

chicagojlo May 2nd 2008 4:05 pm

Melly only handed in her provisional which lets face it wasn't much of anything anyway :p, and she has her learners permit.

CitySimon May 2nd 2008 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6298890)
Melly only handed in her provisional which lets face it wasn't much of anything anyway :p, and she has her learners permit.

Oh, ok... Yeah, if she didn't have her full drivers license, it's no huge loss.

miss scouse atl May 2nd 2008 4:56 pm

[quote=Mallory;6298860]Study the highway code book for GA really well. Get your hubby to drive you up to Canton, Georgia. It's north of Marietta, and it's much quieter up there traffice wise. Go and take YOUR driving test. It's very easy, and you will probably pass. Then one of you will be able to drive.

We used to live in Marietta, and I took my son up there because the traffic is not so bad.[/quote

I agree.......go to the one in Canton its only 5 minutes away from me and is much faster to get in and out. I was only there last week to re-new my licence, I also took my test there and I was in and out in no time!.

Good luck sorting everything out!:)

NC Penguin May 2nd 2008 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6298784)

Why do you want to surrender your British driving license to a foreign agency? There's no need to do it and the DMV have no right to take it off you. DMV overseas driving in GA/USA and not the UK.

It's not so bad that you've surrendered your UK provisional licence but your husband should not attempt to surrender his full British licence.

ian1976 May 2nd 2008 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 6299216)
Why do you want to surrender your British driving license to a foreign agency? There's no need to do it and the DMV have no right to take it off you. DMV overseas driving in GA/USA and not the UK.

It's not so bad that you've surrendered your UK provisional licence but your husband should not attempt to surrender his full British licence.

The DVLA in the UK took my Australian license off me in exchange for a UK one. In order to keep my foreign license I would've had to sit the whole UK driving test! Perhaps some US states are like that too?

Here in CA I just had to do the tests again (which were dead easy!) and they only briefly looked at my UK license photocard to see if the computer system would allow them to enter it and save me doing the practical test - it didn't.

Bluegrass Lass May 2nd 2008 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by ian1976 (Post 6299255)
The DVLA in the UK took my Australian license off me in exchange for a UK one. In order to keep my foreign license I would've had to sit the whole UK driving test! Perhaps some US states are like that too?

Here in CA I just had to do the tests again (which were dead easy!) and they only briefly looked at my UK license photocard to see if the computer system would allow them to enter it and save me doing the practical test - it didn't.

Highly doubtful. US states don't care if you are licensed to drive in another country. My husband never even showed our local office his UK license. It wasn't needed because our state law said he still had to have his learner's permit before he could get his license.

I don't know anything about GA law, but here in KY, you have to have your learner's permit for 30 days before you can take the road test to get your license. This went for all foreigners wanting a KY license, regardless of how many years they had been driving in their home country. Hopefully this is not the case for GA.

Melly, if your hubby has all the docs that he needs to prove that he is eligible for a license, and providing he doesn't need to have a permit for a certain period of time before getting his license, then just have him take the written and road tests. I wouldn't keep bothering with him getting info from the UK.

mellybrown May 2nd 2008 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 6299289)
Highly doubtful. US states don't care if you are licensed to drive in another country. My husband never even showed our local office his UK license. It wasn't needed because our state law said he still had to have his learner's permit before he could get his license.

I don't know anything about GA law, but here in KY, you have to have your learner's permit for 30 days before you can take the road test to get your license. This went for all foreigners wanting a KY license, regardless of how many years they had been driving in their home country. Hopefully this is not the case for GA.

Melly, if your hubby has all the docs that he needs to prove that he is eligible for a license, and providing he doesn't need to have a permit for a certain period of time before getting his license, then just have him take the written and road tests. I wouldn't keep bothering with him getting info from the UK.

but they wont let him take the test!! Because they know he has a uk licence now, and they want it off him!!! I really dont understand it

he is SO stressed!

Dan725 May 2nd 2008 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6299398)
but they wont let him take the test!! Because they know he has a uk licence now, and they want it off him!!! I really dont understand it

he is SO stressed!

Thats just bizarre. But not unusual for a govt agency - the staff don't know the rules.

What I'd do if I was him is go to a different office in your area and try again - this time leaving out the UK license bit.

I only had my paper UK one, but don't recall them ever looking at it or asking for it.

mellybrown May 2nd 2008 6:26 pm

dont suppose anyone knows of anything on the DMV website that says you dont have to show your UK licence??????????

sime303 May 2nd 2008 6:28 pm

I never told anyone about my UK licence, I did the whole permit and test thing. Well easy, scanned the book the morning of the written test. Beat all the 16 year old kids scores doing their written tests and then went out and drove down my own street and back to the BMV (I know Maine is weird couldn't be DMV here).

That reminds me, my licence is up for renewal next month. I've had it 6 years already?

Noorah101 May 2nd 2008 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6299561)
dont suppose anyone knows of anything on the DMV website that says you dont have to show your UK licence??????????

You can't show what you don't have. Try another DMV office and just don't even bring any British license.

Rene