Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Armistice Day

Armistice Day

Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:18 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Armistice Day

Or veterans day as the children call it.

I think I missed the two minutes silence though. Ah well, respect to our grandads. Peace.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Armistice Day

Originally Posted by Silly Sod

I think I missed the two minutes silence though. Ah well, respect to our grandads. Peace.
I watched a clip of it on BBC News, just feel a bit sad I dont have a poppy to wear.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:28 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I watched a clip of it on BBC News, just feel a bit sad I dont have a poppy to wear.
So do I, really miss not wearing a poppy, always feel naked in Nov not wearing one here. Don't know why the US don't have an equivalent thing, for you to wear.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:47 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

For my Great grandad;

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Sussex/Chichester.html

LYDDALL
Herbert Percy Sidney
Lance Corporal L.8635 7th Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. 12th Battalion. Killed in action at Cambrai 25.11.17. Aged 28 Son of George & Alice Lyddall of 91, Sugden Road, Clapham Common, Husband of Mrs Jeannie Lyddall of 59, Lavinia Street, Belfast Born and enlisted in Chichester Regular soldier formerly with the 2nd Battalion. Commemorated on The Cambrai Memorial Note: Not included on the Memorial, but attempts have been made recently by relatives to have his name included.
Attached Thumbnails Armistice Day-great-gramps2.jpg  
Old Nov 11th 2006, 9:13 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
For my Great grandad;

LYDDALL
Herbert Percy Sidney
Lance Corporal L.8635 7th Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. 12th Battalion. Killed in action at Cambrai 25.11.17. Aged 28 Son of George & Alice Lyddall of 91, Sugden Road, Clapham Common, Husband of Mrs Jeannie Lyddall of 59, Lavinia Street, Belfast Born and enlisted in Chichester Regular soldier formerly with the 2nd Battalion. Commemorated on The Cambrai Memorial Note: Not included on the Memorial, but attempts have been made recently by relatives to have his name included.
Respect.

My daughter brought 3 poppys home when she went last year, pulled them out and wore one today.....lest we forget.....
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:01 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
For my Great grandad;

LYDDALL
Herbert Percy Sidney
Can I send karma? That is the best post so far. You have made the thread.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Heard today that there are only about 2 dozen WW1 verterans left alive in the US now.
I have my G.Grandfather's medals somewhere. He was in the Artillery and lost a lung to mustard gas.

Nearly a whole generation of his was lost.............
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:27 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by gardnma
Heard today that there are only about 2 dozen WW1 verterans left alive in the US now.
I have my G.Grandfather's medals somewhere. He was in the Artillery and lost a lung to mustard gas.

Nearly a whole generation of his was lost.............
In light of the lack of poppies here:

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/project...soon/does.html
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:29 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Can I send karma? That is the best post so far. You have made the thread.
Thanks, I've sent you some
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

In light of the lack of poppies here:

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/project...soon/does.html

That's good.
You know, when we were kids, we took tins of food and things to the veterans back home. We saw the memorials in just about every town and village to the war dead. There was a parade of veterans at the wreath laying.
Military history is a fascination of mine and I try to teach my kids about these things and at least have them aware that there was a WW1 and WW2 and the US didn't save the world (as their schools would have them believe), but that America helped end WW1 and WW2.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:48 pm
Bugger Off!

That's good.
You know, when we were kids, we took tins of food and things to the veterans back home. We saw the memorials in just about every town and village to the war dead. There was a parade of veterans at the wreath laying.
Military history is a fascination of mine and I try to teach my kids about these things and at least have them aware that there was a WW1 and WW2 and the US didn't save the world (as their schools would have them believe), but that America helped end WW1 and WW2.
It is still much more of a big thing in the Uk than here I think. Here it is just a day off work (for some). I know that the statue on The Crescent in Salford will be festooned with poppies today.

The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

It is still much more of a big thing in the Uk than here I think. Here it is just a day off work (for some). I know that the statue on The Crescent in Salford will be festooned with poppies today.

The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
I think the Germans replaced their army twice in WW1 and were working on a third. The UK and France had done it at least once each.
Had the US lost a generation to the same magnitude, perhaps it would be still remembered here as it was originally set up by Congress in the 20's, as Armistice day.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:09 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Germans replaced their army twice in WW1 and were working on a third. The UK and France had done it at least once each.
Had the US lost a generation to the same magnitude, perhaps it would be still remembered here as it was originally set up by Congress in the 20's, as Armistice day.

My grandfather was also killed in action in World War I, circa 1915. He is buried in a cemetery near Calais, France. He left a pregnant wife, and 4 children.

He was an extra in the film "Ivanhoe," which was filmed in 1913 at a local castle. It is still shown periodically in my hometown.

Last edited by Mallory; Nov 11th 2006 at 11:13 pm. Reason: date update
Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mallory
My grandfather was also killed in action in World War I, circa 1915. He is buried in a cemetery near Calais, France. He left a pregnant wife, and 4 children.

He was an extra in the film "Ivanhoe," which was filmed in the early 1900s at a local castle. It is still shown periodically in my hometown.
Have you ever been able to make him out? That's tragic about your Grandad, but not to belittle, I'm sure there were many broken hearts every day just because the Kaiser and his cousins couldn't settle a family argument.....
Do you have any of his medals or stuff? These are the things to show our own kids right?

Actually, my GG'dad survived the war with one lung. Not entirely off-topic, I had a Great Uncle who survived three of the bloodiest battles of WW2 and was lost to the bottle in the 80's. I remember the stories my Gran told me of her being blitzed in Derby in the 40's. Amazing stuff.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:28 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever been able to make him out? That's tragic about your Grandad, but not to belittle, I'm sure there were many broken hearts every day just because the Kaiser and his cousins couldn't settle a family argument.....
Do you have any of his medals or stuff? These are the things to show our own kids right?

Actually, my GG'dad survived the war with one lung. Not entirely off-topic, I had a Great Uncle who survived three of the bloodiest battles of WW2 and was lost to the bottle in the 80's. I remember the stories my Gran told me of her being blitzed in Derby in the 40's. Amazing stuff.

No you can't really make him out in the film, you just know he's there. He asked for time off from his job to be in it, and they refused. He did it anyway, and got the sack!

There was a son, and 4 daughters. My mum was the 4th born. I'm sure my uncle got the medals, and then his son. My gran didn't talk about it much, and she never saw his grave. Others in the family have been there, and said how well kept the place is, and they brought back bits of plants from the grave. I hope to take a trip there one of these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.