Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Arlington INS Auditing!

Arlington INS Auditing!

Old Jul 25th 2001, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

timiny74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel somewhat vindicated right now. My wife has an EAD appointment exactly 155 days after filing for the EAD and this is an office that is supposed to have the EAD to you within 90 days.
The reason why I feel vindicated is because of 2 letters I mailed out last Friday, one to the Customer Feedback at Arlington INS and one to the Director of Internal Audit in Washington, DC. I wrote a somewhat scathing letter stating how incredibly long we've had to wait, how "disgraceful" an organization the INS is for the total lack of response to their customer's inquiries, lack of action, and lack of ability to do anything on Saturdays (even though the office is open then), etc. I added a CC to the bottom of each letter stating that I was sending this letter to both places. Well, sure enough, that letter arrived at the office in Saturday's mail, they saw the thing on Monday and immediately sent the appointment letter to us that same day arriving in our mailbox on Tuesday.
I don't know if the Director of Internal Audit's office actually called them or if Arlington simply got scared that we sent this letter to that office or what, but I'm thinking it might have had something to do with the Auditing folks. The Audit office probably looked at or will look at that letter and see that our EAD is something like 8 weeks late and freak out, or at least I hope they would.
In any case it was nice to receive the appointment letter, complete with the switch from maiden name to married name and to know that they are receiving our filings and forms and actually doing something.
If anyone else runs into this situation I'd suggest doing the same thing. The more letters sent to the Auditing department showing overdue casework, perhaps the better they will work towards making the INS more efficient or asking the feds for more money to implement new initiatives.
-Matt