Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Arizona to San Diego 2 week vacation

Arizona to San Diego 2 week vacation

Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arizona to San Diego 2 week vacation

We (my OH and I) are planning a 2 week vacation late May/early June perhaps flying into Phoenix and staying in Arizona a few days then heading west spending the last couple of nights in San Diego. Been to Vegas but I haven't been to LA so I am sure we will head into LA for a day or two. Any ideas for cool/must see places in Arizona and on the drive to San Diego? Thanks.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arizona to San Diego 2 week vacation

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Any ideas for cool/must see places in Arizona and on the drive to San Diego?
If you like architecture, I suggest a tour of Taliesin West in Scottsdale.

Ian
Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
We (my OH and I) are planning a 2 week vacation late May/early June perhaps flying into Phoenix and staying in Arizona a few days then heading west spending the last couple of nights in San Diego. Been to Vegas but I haven't been to LA so I am sure we will head into LA for a day or two. Any ideas for cool/must see places in Arizona and on the drive to San Diego? Thanks.

Don't know how much travelling you want to do but one route that you might want to look at if you are renting a car is:

Visiting the mountain town of Prescott just outside Phoenix (lovely views and a twisty mountain road);

- then up to Flagstaff on the old road 44(around Flagstaff is the Sunset Crater Volcano National Park);

- and then on to the coolest place around - The Grand Canyon.

- From there you could do Death Valley National Park;

- then take a look at Palm Springs before heading off to LA.

-between LA and San Diego are a host of pretty towns. One of the best is Laguna Beach.

If you are thinking of going south from Phoenix via the I-10 and then the I-8, honestly can't think of anywhere nice to stop !!!

San Diego highlights are the Bay area, Downtown, Coronado, Point Loma, the Zoo, Balboa park off the top of my head.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
and then on to the coolest place around - The Grand Canyon.
Quite literally!

Have temps got above freezing there yet?!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

http://missionsjc.com/
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:17 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Antelope Canyon - Absolutely AMAZING. Painted Desert - Quite possibly the best place I ever visited.

I did a two week drive from Pheonix, through Sedona, visiting the Canyone De Chelly National Monument, Oak Creek Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon and the Painted Desert. We also nipped through Utah and into Vegas.

Depending on the travelling you want to do and where you'll be I'd recommend all of those places but particularly AC and the PD.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much - you have given me some ideas about how to plan - might be better to fly into Vegas and drive down past the Canyon to Flagstaff as I really want to stay in Sedona (Enchantment Resort) for a couple of days and then across on the 40 to Palm Springs. Painted Desert is now a must! Might miss out Scottsdale completely.
I have been to the Grand Canyon before by helicopter from Vegas - it was amazing - very cold - but it was Christmas!