British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Arizona MVD - keeping UK license? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/arizona-mvd-keeping-uk-license-727104/)

_rob Aug 2nd 2011 2:24 am

Arizona MVD - keeping UK license?

I am thinking of moving to Phoenix, AZ in March and I had a quick question regarding the drivers license.

I've read a few threads about people having their UK license taken away from them when they go to apply for a license in the states. Is this true in Arizona too, and is it okay just to say I don't have a license from the UK, seeing as I would have to do the full test again anyway

Thanks! :)

Bob Aug 2nd 2011 2:30 am

Re: Arizona MVD - keeping UK license?

How are you moving there for a start?

Look it up on the DMV site....If the state asks for it, say you don't have it on you because they aren't allowed to take it off you, it not being your property to begin with.

Only a couple of states actually do take it and return it to the DVLA.

You might need to show the UK license to get a learners permit and to be able to take the drivers test without doing the whole drivers education malarky, or having to arrive at the test with someone licensed.

_rob Aug 2nd 2011 2:33 am

Sorry, should have said. I'll probably be on a J1.

The website doesn't say anything explicitly about needing it, just a tick box on the application form asking if you have a license from another state or jurisdiction (does this mean other countries?!)

I think the rules for Arizona are if you are over 18 you can apply immediately for the operator lisence (i.e. without the need for driver training), you just have to pass the test. Unless I am mistaken...

Thanks for the reply

sir_eccles Aug 2nd 2011 4:08 am

Still got mine.

You'll need to do the written test (computer multiple choice) for which you just need to study the pdf manual on the site.

Also the practical test for which you will need to supply a car. Pretty much 3 point turn then drive round the block. Though this may depend on which one you go to.

AZ also checks if you're here legally so you'll need something to that effect Greencard or whatever. The expirery of your license will be linked to your status.

The trick is the other drivers, PHX drivers are terrible particularly when it rains.

_rob Aug 2nd 2011 4:11 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9532319)
Still got mine.

You'll need to do the written test (computer multiple choice) for which you just need to study the pdf manual on the site.

So when you applied for your AZ license, did you tick the box saying you had a license from another jurisdiction?

Ah, looking forward to going, is it really that hot there?! :))

sir_eccles Aug 2nd 2011 4:20 am

Originally Posted by _rob (Post 9532321)
So when you applied for your AZ license, did you tick the box saying you had a license from another jurisdiction?

Ah, looking forward to going, is it really that hot there?! :))

I honestly can't remember what I ticked, probably not.

Yes, but it's a dry heat. Though right now we're in monsoon season so the humidity has crept up a bit 9pm 95F 33% humidity.

_rob Aug 2nd 2011 4:27 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9532331)

Yes, but it's a dry heat. Though right now we're in monsoon season so the humidity has crept up a bit 9pm 95F 33% humidity.

Okay, I'll probably go in and just say I left my license back in the UK. :D

Yeah, I was in Flagstaff just this last week, the monsoon there means lots of thunderstorms!!

Is there a big Expat community there? I'd be up for pub meetups and such!

dbj1000 Aug 2nd 2011 5:56 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9532331)

Pffft!

Attachment 101833

AZ_Alba Aug 2nd 2011 1:54 pm

Still got my UK License,

Just did written test and quick practical
Could not do practical that day as it had rained so had to come back the next day.

Practical was basically a drive round the block

That was 11 years ago in Arizona.

Driver manual is available online.

Main thing is make sure you take your passport and visa as you will have to show that you are legally resident in Arizona

Britishbees Aug 2nd 2011 3:58 pm

I took my driving test in AZ two months ago.

Get there early to apply for licence, they will give you all the necessary forms to complete.

Take along your passport with your visa contained therein. Also take along your car registration documents and insurance documents.

On that day after processing the paperwork they then directed me straight to take the written test which is done on a computer with multiple choice questions. If you pass you can then take your driving test which is a reversing into a parking space (between cones) and you only have three movements in which to do it - none of this backwards and forwards business to get it right :thumbdown: Once you have successfully done that then you drive around the block for about five minutes with the examiner then back to the test centre. That is it. They then take your photograph and produce your licence and you are good to go.

I still have my UK licence and they never asked me for it.

Good luck with getting your visa.

Norri Aug 2nd 2011 10:17 pm

1 Attachment(s)
They never asked to see mine for either my car or motorcycle tests.

it does get toasty, this was from July.