Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Areas/streets to avoid in Manhattan and Brooklyn

Areas/streets to avoid in Manhattan and Brooklyn

Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:43 pm
Banned

nadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Areas/streets to avoid in Manhattan and Brooklyn

Hi guys,

I know I can just google this but I thought I'd get some authentic first hand opinions of where to avoid in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Im staying in the lower east side for the first week I arrive, after that is a short let. Any tips from peoples experience?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas/streets to avoid in Manhattan and Brooklyn

I've never felt unsafe in Manhattan. I wouldn't choose to venture far from Harlem 125th station or too far north (above 100th ST) at night but even that is more perception than actual experience.

To maintain an enjoyable NYC experience, I'd really avoid Times Square unless you have tickets for a show or Port Authority Bus Terminal / Penn Station unless you need to transit through there.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Usual rules for any big city apply. Stay aware of your surroundings, don't walk around with ear buds in waving your iphone about. Don't stop in the middle of the sidewalk and unfurl a map. Try not to look like a tourist (I used to avoid Times Square like the plague). Stick to main streets.

It's hard to give specific advice these days because once dodgy areas are now being gentrified by hipsters.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Most of Manhattan is pretty safe these days. Parts of Harlem and the NW of Manhattan are still dodgy. Alphabet City on the Lower East Side used to be bad as recently as 5-10 years ago, but is much less so now - in fact we had some excellent tacos at Mercadito on Avenue B the other week. In general there's very few places that aren't safe during the day, and even the subway in most of Manhattan is as safe as the tube in is central London certainly until well after midnight.

I agree that Times Square should be avoided at all costs (not becuase it's unsafe but because it's as tacky as all hell) unless you really feel your New York experience is incomplete without seeing it. Just avoid 40th and Broadway around 9am and 6pm and I won't have cause to curse you under my breath as more tourists getting in my way

Regretably there have been a few homophobic attacks in the West and East Villages over the last year or so, but even so, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get involved in one yourselves.

In general, any Londoner (or similar big city dweller) with a modicum of street smarts should be perfectly able to avoid trouble in NYC. Enjoy your visit!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point

Never had a problem in Manhattan or Brooklyn, even at night.