Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Aquiring UK Citizenship for my daughter?

Aquiring UK Citizenship for my daughter?

Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:24 am
Yorkshire Lass in ATX

BritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really nice
Default Aquiring UK Citizenship for my daughter?

Hello All,

I was told a few days ago that my daughter can now obtain dual citizenship, yet I've read totally contradicting things on different sites and the Embassy refers me back to their site if I call!

I am British, living in the States for ten years as a Permanent Resident. My husband is an American Citizen. My daughter (born 2006) is an American Citizen but I would like to get her dual citizenship - the main (only) reason being because I have no other family here and if something were to happen to my husband and I my parents (in England) would take my daughter. I wouldn't want there to be any issues if something did happen.

Can anyone clear up whether this is a possibility and if so how I go about obtaining it?

Thanks so much,
Kat
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aquiring UK Citizenship for my daughter?

Read, etc:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad

You may be British, but were you born in Britain?

And is there any reason why you are not a US citizen, normally you should try to have the same nationality as your child.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:32 am
Yorkshire Lass in ATX

BritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really nice

Thanks, I'll take a look at that link.

Yes, I was born in Britain and lived there until I was 23. I really don't want to give up my British Citizenship as I don't plan on living in the States forever, we have no family here.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritKat
Thanks, I'll take a look at that link.

Yes, I was born in Britain and lived there until I was 23. I really don't want to give up my British Citizenship as I don't plan on living in the States forever, we have no family here.
Why do you think you would lose your British citizenship by becoming American?

(you wouldn't).
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

I was told a few days ago that my daughter can now obtain dual citizenship, yet I've read totally contradicting things on different sites and the Embassy refers me back to their site if I call!

I am British, living in the States for ten years as a Permanent Resident. My husband is an American Citizen. My daughter (born 2006) is an American Citizen but I would like to get her dual citizenship - the main (only) reason being because I have no other family here and if something were to happen to my husband and I my parents (in England) would take my daughter. I wouldn't want there to be any issues if something did happen.

Can anyone clear up whether this is a possibility and if so how I go about obtaining it?

Thanks so much,
Kat
Your daughter is already a British Citizen, you don't need to apply for this just as you didn't need to apply for your own British Citizenship.

You could apply for a British passport for her right away and/ or get a consular birth certificate which is not required but might make it simpler to get a passport at a later date if you decide not to go that route at the moment.

You also need to make a will making your intentions clear about what should happen to her should something happen to you or your husband.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:39 am
Yorkshire Lass in ATX

Well, I was told I would up loose it until a week or so ago, by a fellow expat also not a US Citizen and also here on a Permanent Resident Card. She told me they'd changed it recently.

As I look into this I'm learning that I had been given the wrong information years ago.

Now I'm learning all kinds of things. Ideally I'd like to get myself US Citizenship and my daughter British Citizenship.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:42 am
Yorkshire Lass in ATX

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Your daughter is already a British Citizen, you don't need to apply for this just as you didn't need to apply for your own British Citizenship.

You could apply for a British passport for her right away and/ or get a consular birth certificate which is not required but might make it simpler to get a passport at a later date if you decide not to go that route at the moment.

You also need to make a will making your intentions clear about what should happen to her should something happen to you or your husband.
OK, I really have been misinformed. So even though she was born in the States to a British Mum and an American Dad and obviously automatically became a US Citizen she also automatically became a British Citizen too? All we would need to do is apply for a passport?
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

Well, I was told I would up loose it until a week or so ago, by a fellow expat also not a US Citizen and also here on a Permanent Resident Card. She told me they'd changed it recently.

As I look into this I'm learning that I had been given the wrong information years ago.
Since 1 January 1949, Britons becoming US citizens have, in general, retained British citizenship. Any oath you take in the United States is ignored under British law.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ is worth reading.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

OK, I really have been misinformed. So even though she was born in the States to a British Mum and an American Dad and obviously automatically became a US Citizen she also automatically became a British Citizen too? All we would need to do is apply for a passport?
Passport and consular birth certificate. Much easier to do it now than later on.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:50 am
Yorkshire Lass in ATX

Thank you BOTH so much. You've given me a lot to read and take in

We do have a will stating our wishes - but thank you for suggesting that also.

I'm so glad I found this place!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

I mean, you don't have to apply for a British passport in order for her to become a British citizen (she is one already) but if you are travelling back and forth to the UK and planning to live there eventually then it's probably a good idea to go ahead and get it.

There are lots of threads on here about applying for a passport for a baby, use the search box at the top of the USA forum page and you'll find links and details there that you can read through at your leisure.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to get myself US Citizenship and my daughter British Citizenship.
There are many of us here who have dual US/UK citizenship. Each country will treat you as one of their own, and each country will ignore any other citizenships you might have.

Also, don't confuse the concept with its proof. In other words, don't confuse "citizenship" with "proof of citizenship". For example, you are a UK citizen whether or not you have proof of that citizenship. Mind you, if you're travelling, you'll need proof of your citizenship... and that's where a passport comes in very handy!

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Aquiring UK Citizenship for my daughter?

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-passport-usa/

Dean
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:52 am
Yorkshire Lass in ATX

A few months later I'm back.

So, we plan on a trip to the Houston British Consulate after out next trip to the UK in October. I'd decided to wait as they do require I send in my passport with the application and I knew we had a trip coming up.

I plan on calling this week, but thought I'd pose this question here as you were all so helpful before.

One of the items on the check list is: The father’s full* birth certificate, or if born outside the United Kingdom, documentary evidence of his claim to British nationality, e.g. naturalisation or registration certificate. If the nationality claim is not through the father, his full overseas birth certificate is still required

My husband was born in Cuba, came to the US in 1973 and got his citizenship in 1999. He doesn't have a Cuban birth certificate and chances of him ever being able to get one are slim to nothing. His mother gave us a copy - but the original is long gone. He does have his Citizenship 'certificate' - do you think this is going to stop us getting my daughters Consular Birth Registration, especially as I'm claiming her citizenship through me and not her Dad?

Thanks in advance...
Kat
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:23 am
JAJ
Retired

My husband was born in Cuba, came to the US in 1973 and got his citizenship in 1999. He doesn't have a Cuban birth certificate and chances of him ever being able to get one are slim to nothing. His mother gave us a copy - but the original is long gone. He does have his Citizenship 'certificate' - do you think this is going to stop us getting my daughters Consular Birth Registration, especially as I'm claiming her citizenship through me and not her Dad?
You cannot give what you don't have and the Nationality Act does not mandate this for British citizenship. Explain why it is not available and send copy of his US passport ID page instead.