Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

approaching 65 and need to find out about getting my British Pension

approaching 65 and need to find out about getting my British Pension

Old Oct 4th 2021, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

antdeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default approaching 65 and need to find out about getting my British Pension

Hi all and I hope somebody can point me in the right direction.
I became a US citizen a few years back and still have my UK Citizenship UK passport and National insurance number
I am 64 years old turning 65 in January . I am retired
I left the UK in 2000
I have no credit cards from UK no bank account, no address in UK

How do I go about finding information on getting State Pension in a few year time ?
The uk gov website with gateway seems to want Two (2) forms of ID passport and credit info. my credit checks return no info. Also they seem to want a UK address.

Thank you for any advice if you can help .. OR point me to any threads in this site.

Last edited by antdeb; Oct 4th 2021 at 6:38 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 4th 2021, 7:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: approaching 65 and need to find out about getting my British Pension

If you can't create an account you'll need to use the 'other ways'
but if you follow the info on the website you may succeed with an account if you can provide a previous address and can answer other questions.
Old Oct 4th 2021, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: approaching 65 and need to find out about getting my British Pension

The following website may help:

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad
Old Oct 5th 2021, 3:25 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I spent hours trying to figure a work around for this to check online.
I can't see how it's possible with out a UK address and a UK credit history or a Northern Ireland driving license for some reason.

I have gotten as far as setting up an account with all the correct log in details, even managed to set up the whole authentication process using a google authenticator.

But even login on and submitting the authenticator code I cant get past the requirement for 2 questions out of the 3.

Passport (have that)
Credit check (Nope)
NI driving license(Nope)

The options are to call them and ask for it to be sent
Or submit by mail the request to re sent to you by snail mail.

Honestly the hole online method is unworkable if you don't have the required documentation.

Old Oct 5th 2021, 3:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antdeb View Post
Hi all and I hope somebody can point me in the right direction.
I became a US citizen a few years back and still have my UK Citizenship UK passport and National insurance number
I am 64 years old turning 65 in January . I am retired
I left the UK in 2000
I have no credit cards from UK no bank account, no address in UK

How do I go about finding information on getting State Pension in a few year time ?
The uk gov website with gateway seems to want Two (2) forms of ID passport and credit info. my credit checks return no info. Also they seem to want a UK address.

Thank you for any advice if you can help .. OR point me to any threads in this site.
https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre
Easy peasy. You can phone or email them, or use Twitter.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre
Easy peasy. You can phone or email them, or use Twitter.

Absolutely! No need for any "work arounds," they are all set up to accommodate ex-pats. I hadn't lived in the UK for almost 40 years when I applied, and it was extremely straightforward.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
Absolutely! No need for any "work arounds," they are all set up to accommodate ex-pats. I hadn't lived in the UK for almost 40 years when I applied, and it was extremely straightforward.
+1 but my contact was pre-covid so it could be different now.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
+1 but my contact was pre-covid so it could be different now.

No doubt it is slower, but the process should not be any more onerous.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:59 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
No doubt it is slower, but the process should not be any more onerous.
I applied late last year, and it did take 6 months to sort. However the process was simple, simply downloading the international claim form linked in the website included above.

Maybe I am missing something?
Old Oct 5th 2021, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

retman is an unknown quantity at this point

The easiest way to apply is by phone. They will only ask the information needed to make a decision. No need trying to complete the international claim form and provide answers all those questions going back numerous years which you cannot recall. Takes about 15 minutes. Both spouse and I did it this way.