Reload this Page >

Appointing Legal Guardian for our kids in case we die

Appointing Legal Guardian for our kids in case we die

Old Jul 1st 2013, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

MayMum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Appointing Legal Guardian for our kids in case we die

Hello,

I'm not really sure where to start and don't want to spend a fortune on a lawyer trying to figure this out. We should have done a will before now but never got round to it - and it came up on a tv show at weekend prompting us to think about it.

I'm Irish, my husband is British, my first born is British and my newborn is American. We're living in north New Jersey. We would appoint my sister and her husband in Ireland to be legal guardians should anything happen to us. A friend here offered to be temporary guardian until someone could get the kids.

We don't (yet) own property in the US. Our money is all still in UK.

Can we do a will through a fixed fee UK lawyer? Should we do one here as that's where we live - and if so can anyone recommend?

I just want to make sure that if something happened to us our kids would be taken care of, and there wouldn't be a nightmare for our families in the UK and Ireland to sort out.

I would probably put one of our fathers as 'executor' of the will if that's the right term. Someone to sort out all the money. Would it make more sense for it to be the one in UK as that's where our money is or for my father as the kids would be in Ireland.

Thanks for advance for any advice
Old Jul 1st 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appointing Legal Guardian for our kids in case we die

You can create a living will at Legalzoom.com for as little as $39. This will allow you to appoint a power of attorney and also express any wishes if you are incapacitated and unable to make decisions for yourself.

Any legally created will should be legal in both the US and the UK.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

MayMum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Appointing Legal Guardian for our kids in case we die

Thanks for your advice - no internet the last few days. Will check it out today