British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Applying wife's SSN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/applying-wifes-ssn-821945/)

e3geek Jan 16th 2014 2:45 pm

Applying wife's SSN

Has anyone applied for an SSN for their relative? I see on their website you can apply on someone's behalf but you need to provide relationship proof but they don't mention what proof would be acceptable. Has anyone got any idea how they did it?

Noorah101 Jan 16th 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Applying wife's SSN

Originally Posted by e3geek (Post 11081622)
Has anyone applied for an SSN for their relative? I see on their website you can apply on someone's behalf but you need to provide relationship proof but they don't mention what proof would be acceptable. Has anyone got any idea how they did it?

Just curious why she can't do it? If she's having trouble filling out the SS application because of English skills, for example, you can help her do that.

Rene

e3geek Jan 16th 2014 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11081667)
Just curious why she can't do it? If she's having trouble filling out the SS application because of English skills, for example, you can help her do that.

Rene

I knew this question will pop up.

The SS office is just a walk from my work place and the most convenient location wise. We are just looking for a way for her to avoid travel while I am already here.

MidAtlantic Jan 16th 2014 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by e3geek (Post 11081698)

The SS office is just a walk from my work place and the most convenient location wise. We are just looking for a way for her to avoid travel while I am already here.

Surely proof of your relationship with your wife is your marriage certificate.

If the SS office is that close why not go and ask them?

BunnyGirl Jan 16th 2014 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by e3geek (Post 11081698)

Why don't you just pop into the SS office and ask them what proof of relationship would be acceptable?

e3geek Jan 16th 2014 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl (Post 11081715)
Why don't you just pop into the SS office and ask them what proof of relationship would be acceptable?

OK, seems like no one know the answer.

To get into that office I need to go through security and then wait for my turn after getting a ticket. I thought may be someone on the forum knows what I have to find out the harder way.

Noorah101 Jan 16th 2014 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by e3geek (Post 11081622)

I don't know anyone who has done it, but if all they need is proof of relationship, then I'd say your marriage certificate would be proof.

Rene

Bluegrass Lass Jan 16th 2014 4:42 pm

The SSA also has a phone number you can call. It's free, all it costs is your time on the phone.