Reload this Page >

Applying for USA citizenship for my son

Applying for USA citizenship for my son

Old Sep 4th 2021, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Lynch21usa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for USA citizenship for my son

Originally Posted by morpeth
Or just go to the United States and apply for son's US passport once there. However if birth not registered at consulate abroad, if your application comes across desk of ill-informed immigration officer, you may need to get a certificate of citizenship (not naturalization) (however you proceed not a bad idea to have the certificate).

If you apply for passport in the UK which I think would be preferred route, you wil need your husband to sign notarized consent form an send to you.
that’s great thank you so much for your help 😊
Old Sep 4th 2021, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Or just go to the United States and apply for son's US passport once there. However if birth not registered at consulate abroad, if your application comes across desk of ill-informed immigration officer, you may need to get a certificate of citizenship (not naturalization) (however you proceed not a bad idea to have the certificate).

How does she do this?...son cannot get ESTA to enter the US as he is a US citizen; and he does not have a US passport on which to enter.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
How does she do this?...son cannot get ESTA to enter the US as he is a US citizen; and he does not have a US passport on which to enter.
I have known a few people including a relative who did just that, though preferable to go the embassy route in the UK,
Old Sep 5th 2021, 7:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have known a few people including a relative who did just that, though preferable to go the embassy route in the UK,
Isn't it a legal requirement for USC's to enter the US on a US passport?
Old Sep 5th 2021, 7:45 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Being USC and having a US passport are not the same thing! So that rule is ambiguous,
Old Sep 5th 2021, 9:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
Being USC and having a US passport are not the same thing! So that rule is ambiguous,
Exactly this, you have a right to USC its not quite the same as a US passport. Its an incredibly daft 'law' not even sure what the repercussions would or could be for entering on a 'foreign passport'
Old Sep 5th 2021, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

A US citizen has a right to return.
A US citizen cant return with a US passport if they don't have one. but still has right to return.

It is preferable of course to get the form signed and notarised by husband and then go to US consulate, and copy of husbands passport an birth certificate. (A certificate of citizenship. I would value higher than the passport)
Old Sep 5th 2021, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know of at least three cases like this, one of close relative who didn't wish to through bother of registering the foreign birth as wasn't married at time. Child wasn't born in UK, but British Consulate issued passport in just a few days without father even being present.Child entered US on British passport then applied for US passport. )but passport official made mistake asking for certificate of naturalization as birth not registered at consulate where child born, So simply applied for certificate of citizenship , then the passport.If my understanding correct a US passport isnt 'proof' of being a citizen.

The issue of how many years child needs to be in US before 18 I believe was modified several years ago, I don't know current rule.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
Exactly this, you have a right to USC its not quite the same as a US passport.
It's not 'a right to USC' in the OP's case though, from what she's said her child is a USC, and has been since birth. So legally has to enter on a US passport.

Its an incredibly daft 'law' not even sure what the repercussions would or could be for entering on a 'foreign passport'
Apparently nothing now, used to be a large fine. But personally I wouldn't risk if if the OP's plan is to move permanently, I wouldn't want any notes made on my file!
Old Sep 5th 2021, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not 'a right to USC' in the OP's case though, from what she's said her child is a USC, and has been since birth. So legally has to enter on a US passport.

Apparently nothing now, used to be a large fine. But personally I wouldn't risk if if the OP's plan is to move permanently, I wouldn't want any notes made on my file!
i am not a lawyer only made observations on similar cases observed one in detail, i would be curious what an immigration lawyer would say- i know in the one case of the relative their lawyer said don't worry and never came with the mothers green card application. though i wrote preferable to get the passport first in the UK.,

Old Sep 5th 2021, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

The issue is actually boarding the plane - if traveling with a British passport you need an ESTA/visa/green card or the airline won't let you board but as a US citizen you can't have any of those things...
Old Sep 5th 2021, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are certainly people what have obtained ESTA approval for their US child using a foreign passport.

Right or wrong.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...to%20the%20U.S.

I am a U.S. Citizen with dual citizenship in a VWP country?

U.S. Citizens are not required to have an ESTA and are required to use their U.S. passport to travel to the U.S.

Think the above from the US Border and Customs Protection website is pretty definitive.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 9:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly this, you have a right to USC its not quite the same as a US passport. Its an incredibly daft 'law' not even sure what the repercussions would or could be for entering on a 'foreign passport'
How is it a 'daft law'?

The US does not want to be admitting Citizens under the VWP or with visas, because they don't need one. This potentially avoids additional paperwork and potential erroneous enforcement action upon (what they think are) 'visa overstayers' but actually USCs.

The most simple way to ensure that you are not admitting such people is to require that they possess and use US passports if eligible for one.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
How is it a 'daft law'?

The US does not want to be admitting Citizens under the VWP or with visas, because they don't need one. This potentially avoids additional paperwork and potential erroneous enforcement action upon (what they think are) 'visa overstayers' but actually USCs.

The most simple way to ensure that you are not admitting such people is to require that they possess and use US passports if eligible for one.

Because simply being born abroad as a Child of a USC (and meeting criteria to have a right to USC) is not enough to obtain a US passport, it may well and is often easier to obtain a passport and citizenship in the country the minor was born.

WHat if that child then has no intention in becoming a USC (although technically by US law they are a USC) but wants to visit family in the US?

Its a meaningless unpunishable law...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.