Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for UK Passport for US child

Applying for UK Passport for US child

Old May 27th 2010, 12:41 am
Just Joined

catherine_mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for UK Passport for US child

Can anyone help me, I'm English living in the US, my daughter was born in the US and I'm in the process of applying for her British Passport. The paperwork is confusing, I'm not sure whether I can just fill in Form C2 Application for UK Passport for applicants under 16 or whether she needs to register/become and Citizen first.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:57 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for UK Passport for US child

Which year was your daughter born? Was she born in wedlock or legitimated? Were you born or naturalized in the UK? Are you the father or the mother? Is the other parent a british citizen?

Originally Posted by catherine_mark
Can anyone help me, I'm English living in the US, my daughter was born in the US and I'm in the process of applying for her British Passport. The paperwork is confusing, I'm not sure whether I can just fill in Form C2 Application for UK Passport for applicants under 16 or whether she needs to register/become and Citizen first.

Last edited by dreamercon; May 27th 2010 at 12:59 am.
Old May 27th 2010, 1:00 am
Just Joined

My Daughter was born in 2010 and in wedlock. I was born in the UK and have a current British passport.
Old May 27th 2010, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

I was also confused about the registering business but then found it clearly explained on one of the pages for UK immigration. It´s optional whether you register the birth of your child with the British Embassy/consulate. So on the form you can just answer " no" where it asks if the birth was registered. I had the same doubts with my son. As long as the US birth cert was issued soon after birth you shouldn´t have any problems. I´ve read various complaints about lengthy delays with the new system of issuing passports in Washington but I just got my son´s passport renewed with no problem at all and they did it within the 4 weeks they say they try to do it in
Old May 27th 2010, 1:34 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Your daughter is already a british citizen by descent and you don't need to register or apply for citizenship. You merely need to apply for a british passport. However, getting a consular birth registration, while optional, is highly recommended as it creates a permanent record of the child's citizenship.

Was the father born or naturalized in Australia? Has the father lived in Australia before? Your daughter may be eligible for australian citizenship too, but unlike british citizenship, australian citizenship is only granted after you apply for it for children born outside australia - which means that securing an australian passport now should be a first priority.

I am the mother, her father has dual citizenship (British and Australian

Last edited by dreamercon; May 27th 2010 at 1:39 am.
Old May 27th 2010, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice. Another quick question, I'm filling out the C2 form and it asks if she has a foreign passport, the answer is yes because she now has a US Passport. I have the option not to enclose this passport but then leads me to a question that states give details of previous passport which has been lost or is not available, you also need to complete an LS01 form which is a lost or stolen passport form. Do you think I should just enclose her US passport to save the aggravation?
Old May 27th 2010, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

By the way my husband is Australian and both my son and daughter should get Australian passports too, however, I need to get them citizenship first before I can apply for a passport ... they both need to go in person to get their passports, which means flying somewhere! My son already has Australian citizenship so I need to organise this for my daughter. I suppose once she has it we need to organise a trip to the Consulate, etc. A major pain in the ..... Do you think it'll be a problem trying to get them 3 passports? I wonder if they'll try and revoke one of them?
Old May 27th 2010, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it'll be a problem trying to get them 3 passports?
Many here have 3+ citizenships and, therefore, 3+ passports. I have 3 passports - UK/CDN/US. Some folks have more! It's not an issue.

I wonder if they'll try and revoke one of them?
Unless a country specifically forbids dual citizenship (and the UK, US, Canada, and Australia (and most other Commonwealth countries) don't)... you'll be fine.

Ian
Old May 27th 2010, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

By the way my husband is Australian and both my son and daughter should get Australian passports too, however, I need to get them citizenship first before I can apply for a passport ... they both need to go in person to get their passports, which means flying somewhere! My son already has Australian citizenship so I need to organise this for my daughter. I suppose once she has it we need to organise a trip to the Consulate, etc. A major pain in the ..... Do you think it'll be a problem trying to get them 3 passports? I wonder if they'll try and revoke one of them?
I'm in the same situation, except I live within driving distance of an Australian consulate.

My biggest problem has turned out to be obtaining passport photos that are acceptable for an Oz PP.

We're going to get the photos done next month in Oz, baby will enter Oz on a visa. Once back in the USA, we'll apply for her Oz cit then Oz PP.
Old May 27th 2010, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Handy that you live within driving distance of an Australian consulate. Walgreens do good pix for Australian passports. Check your local one out.

Have a great trip back to Oz!
Old May 28th 2010, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Handy that you live within driving distance of an Australian consulate. Walgreens do good pix for Australian passports. Check your local one out.

Have a great trip back to Oz!
Walgreens tried 3x + still couldnt get it right for us. I should have actually taken the little measuring template with me...the one that the embassy/consulate sent me. We don't need her to have an Oz pp just yet, so it's not the end of the world...
Old May 28th 2010, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Wow that's crap, I got good ones for US and UK from Walgreens so will have to watch it for the Oz one!