Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is applying for U.K. passport recommended for child turning 18?

Is applying for U.K. passport recommended for child turning 18?

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is applying for U.K. passport recommended for child turning 18?

Hi, my daughter is turning 18 in a few months and i am wondering if it is a good idea to apply for a U.K. passport. I am British born and she is American. I never bothered before just used her U.S. one and she comes with me in U.K. line at airport.

Now she is turning 18 we will be seperated so this would be one reason. Are there any other benefits? Should i have registered her? If i do nothing are there any disadvantages?
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:14 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is applying for U.K. passport recommended for child turning 18?

My personal opinion is if she is entitled to a UK passport then it won't hurt to get one. Could open up some doors for her is she wanted to live or work in Europe later on. Plus I presume it would make it easier for her to use her UK passport when she enters the UK as opposed the US one.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 2:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
My personal opinion is if she is entitled to a UK passport then it won't hurt to get one. Could open up some doors for her is she wanted to live or work in Europe later on. Plus I presume it would make it easier for her to use her UK passport when she enters the UK as opposed the US one.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a rush for me to do it now, before her 18th birthday while still a minor? Or is it just as easy for her to apply later?

I am thinking of moving back to UK/Europe in the future.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valspal
Is there a rush for me to do it now, before her 18th birthday while still a minor? Or is it just as easy for her to apply later?
It's easier as a kid I think than applying for first time adult passport.

Registering birth is also handy as proof of Brit citizenship to get a new passport in case they lose their passport in the future and you've carped it.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Is applying for U.K. passport recommended for child turning 18?

It doesn't really matter when you do it. The sooner you do it, the easier it is because you have ready access to all the supporting documentation (which may not be the case in 30 years time for example).

Passport application forms available at http://UKinUSA.fco.gov.uk/passports

Dean
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
It's easier as a kid I think than applying for first time adult passport.

Registering birth is also handy as proof of Brit citizenship to get a new passport in case they lose their passport in the future and you've carped it.
Thanks for the info. I think it best that I apply for the passport soon. Is there a cost for registering?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by valspal
Thanks for the info. I think it best that I apply for the passport soon. Is there a cost for registering?
in answer to my own question the fee is 470 pounds for child and 550 for adult.

Unaffordable at the moment. I hope i won't regret it in the future.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

For anyone else viewing this i recommend getting a passport under age 16 due to significant difference in price.