Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for SSN

Applying for SSN

Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

LonSea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for SSN

We've finally landed this week, after almost 8-9 months of planning and waiting. However after doing some research and maybe not enough of it, I need some help with the SSN. As far as I can tell, the only doc the SS office need is our passports with the visa page and the date stamp but everything else I've read seems to imply a much longer list of docs needed.

Anyone been through the process in NY recently and can shed light on the process and docs needed?

Also we have a temp address I'm assuming its fine to give DH's work address until we are settled properly?

thanks!
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for SSN

Passport, visa, I-94, and SSN application.

Work address is fine.

Rene
Old May 31st 2018, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

alex_b06 is an unknown quantity at this point

LonSea - we are moving to NYC at the end of June for work on an E2 visa (visa interview on Tuesday 5th June) - I hope you don't mind but I read a couple of your posts and you've asked all the questions I want to ask.

Hopefully you can update me on a few things - I've sent a PM also.

We're you on E2? how long was the visa interview, what questions we're you asked?
What was the website used to apply for SSN?
Did you find an apartment? I'm going to be in a temp apartment for 1 month and my wife will be apartment hunting...we're looking at UWS (no higher than the 80's), midtown west (for access) and Park Slope (because everything I've read about it seems just lovely - although the commute is longer). I'm going to be working in Chelsea. We are in our late 20's, not party animals but love to go out for dinner and go to bars.
My wife will apply for an EAD when we get out there, any updates on how long you're is taking?

Hopefully you can help.
Alex
Old May 31st 2018, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

The visa interview was fine, the main question to answer is “why you can only you do this job and why can’t the company hire an American do it?”. That was the crucial thing about the interview. Your wife needs to be prepared to correctly answer the question “are you planning on working in NYC” - of which she should answer, “only when/if granted the EAD”. Your company lawyers should be helping you prepare for the interview. They should also prepare her EAD application, which is taking 5-7 months to be granted at the moment. SSN, google the official website and there is an application form. You can only complete that once you have landed. Then you go to the SSN office in the Financial district in downtown and they do the rest. Take originals of your marriage certificate.

Apartment hunting: I recommend that you take a few days off to view many apartments with your wife. We looked in Brooklyn but unless you like a suburb vibe you’ll end up on UWS. Park Slope is lovely but has an “away from everything” feeling to it.

It’s hard to find somewhere to rent, the housing stock is very different to the UK. I can’t recommend enough that you look at places with your wife as you will both be making lifestyle compromises, eg we ended up somewhere that doesn’t have a washing machine in the apartment. At first this was a MAJOR no for us but other things took priority, so here we are. 1 month is not really long enough to find somewhere unless you go for “no fee, professional rental building” with immediate availability. I don’t know your budget but because of having no credit we had to pay for a professional insurance guarantor. This was an unexpected cost but our hands were tied.

If you still can, I would advice that you try and negotiate for your company to pay for that and/or a broker fee, which can be 1 months rent or 15% of annual rent.

StreetEasy is your new best friend, but be prepared to be lied to and for brokers to try and pull a fast one. We had two weird close calls with big name brokers trying to pull some odd stunts on us.

Hope that helps and this forum is great for helping those moving to the USA. Good luck.
Old May 31st 2018, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

LonSea - thanks so much for your detailed response. Relaly helpfull.

Company lawyers are sorting everything an we have a prep session before the interview. Wow 5-7 months for the EAD is a long time, we were told minimum 4 months. Does it depend which service center you send it to.
Was the UWS where you ended up? Is it what you had hoped? We are toying with the idea of a no fee, new build, maybe for 6 months untill we find somewhere we really want to live. I'd read about the guarentor companies, Insurent or The Guarentors - can you reccommend any?
I've looked on StretEasy, got the app - it's great that you can reccommend it. what sort of stunts were the brokers pulling?

Thanks for your help!
Alex
Old May 31st 2018, 3:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Most apartments in and around Manhattan do not allow washing machines. The issue with having a washing machine is 1) the noise and vibration disturbing the other tenants and 2) the damage to your apartment and the one under you if your machine causes a flood. But then they go and let you have a dishwasher. Duh!

Upper West Side is nice in many areas. Depends on how far UP you want to go. I would not want to live anywhere around the George Washington Bridge but that is my opinion from having lived just outside of Manhattan for 68 years and working in midtown for over 40 years. The area abounding the Hudson is nice from the 70's up to the 96 Street Basin. The area known as Yorkville is also lovely and that is on the UES. Manhattan is broken down into so many enclaves it is difficult to name them all. Depending on where your office is located, you want to be near public transportation, i.e. subway or bus to get you there and back.

As for the EAD, unfortunately, it is taking a very long time for them to come through. However, lately we have seen an upswing to the timeline but still no where near the 90 days it is suppose to take for adjudication of the EAD. You have to use the service center allocated by the area you are living in. So for you it would be the same as the other poster to this thread. It is not a matter of picking and choosing unfortunately.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

I think something must have happened to the EAD systems as 1 year ago it was taking 6-8 weeks and now it’s much much longer, much closer to 6 months than 6 weeks. It’s a wait and see type of thing and your wife can’t apply for any jobs until she has the EAD to hand, or do any work experience/internships arrangements.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:18 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

SSN cards are issued automatically when the SSA receives the EAD information from USCIS, which is apparently taking a long time, according to the sign I saw in an SSA office recently.

I suppose the question revolves around whether you need an EAD to get an SSN.

If you're an immigrant you just walk in with your passport and the I-551 stamp in it.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

The spouse can apply for the SSN without a EAD if you are applying together (same appointment and both there) with the qualified persons eg the person with the original visa. Then all the banking, tenancy all other info is correct when needed eg named on tenancy, named on credit card
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Silvergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LonSea
The spouse can apply for the SSN without a EAD if you are applying together (same appointment and both there) with the qualified persons eg the person with the original visa. Then all the banking, tenancy all other info is correct when needed eg named on tenancy, named on credit card
to get the SSN for the E-2 spouse before the EAD has been issued, you need to just bring the marriage certificate in addition to the other documents to the social security office. Worked for us.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Silvergirl that’s exactly what I was trying to say, the spouse doesn’t need to wait for the EAD application to get the SSN
Old Jun 15th 2018, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Perfect - thanks everyone. We got our visa approve don the 5th June and are flying out to New York on the 30th June. Still lots to do and sort.