British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Applying for Social Security number in the USA. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/applying-social-security-number-usa-803330/)

scottie_uk Jul 18th 2013 10:25 pm

Applying for Social Security number in the USA.

Hi, I have entered the US on an immigrant visa by marriage. Now I am in the US I need to apply for a social security number. I need an SSN to open a bank account and to complete the hiring process at my new intended place of work (a university) in which I am scheduled to begin Aug 1st..

The online instructions (here: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm) says that I need: [I]"an immigration document such as I-551 (green card) (Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa) with your unexpired foreign passport, I-766 (work permit) or I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record)". [/I]However, my I-551 is being processed and will take approx 3 weeks. The folks who processed my VISA at the airport told me I could apply for my SSN after 7 to 10 days.

So can I assume the visa in my passport will allow me to apply for an SSN? and can anyone well me in a concrete bulleted list of what evidence I need to complete my application for SSN (being precise with the use of And and Or).

I ask this because I phoned up the Social Security toll fee number and spoke to a rather evasive, curt and rude lady who would not inform me of the requirements and only seemed to want to ask me what documents I have, and how I could prove I had eligibility to work (eh well that's what I phoned you for?) even though I explained the situation thoroughly.

Guindalf Jul 18th 2013 10:52 pm

Re: Applying for Social Security number in the USA.

You can get an SSN using any form of picture ID. Without proof of work authorization, it is likely to have "Not valid for employment" or something similar on it. However, you can get that changed when you get your GC.

scottie_uk Jul 18th 2013 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 10807430)
You can get an SSN using any form of picture ID. Without proof of work authorization, it is likely to have "Not valid for employment" or something similar on it. However, you can get that changed when you get your GC.

As I said I need to work on August the 1st so I need an SSN possibly before the green card comes in.

Noorah101 Jul 18th 2013 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by scottie_uk (Post 10807440)
As I said I need to work on August the 1st so I need an SSN possibly before the green card comes in.

Did you not check the box on the DS-230 which says you'd like a SSN automatically assigned?

If you did, you can expect your SS card to show up in the mail within a month or so of your arrival in the USA.

Your employer CAN hire you without your SS card. When the card comes in, they can make note of the number. In the meantime, you can go in person to a SS office and they can give you a letter stating you've applied for one (via the DS-230, but the letter won't say that), which you can show your employer, and he must accept that letter.

If checked that box, AND you go now and apply for a SSN, you might get two separate numbers assigned, and then you have to get them consolidated into one number. Kind of a pain.

If you did not check that box, and you want to apply for a SSN now, that temp I-551 endorsement should be enough to do so.

You CAN open a bank account without a SSN as well.

Rene

Noorah101 Jul 18th 2013 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 10807430)

The temp I-551 endorsement in his passport will be proof of his work authorization. He should be issued a SS card without restrictions.

Rene

Bob Jul 19th 2013 2:15 am

You don't need a SSN to open a bank account.

You also don't need a SSN to start work, you've got 90 days or so to provide that. It will mean you having the max amount of tax withheld until you do though.

scottie_uk Jul 19th 2013 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10807465)
Did you not check the box on the DS-230 which says you'd like a SSN automatically assigned?

Rene

Brilliant, yes I did I just checked my copy of the form. Do you know how long it will take to process and be sent to me (from date of entry)?

stuexeter Jul 19th 2013 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by scottie_uk (Post 10808847)
Brilliant, yes I did I just checked my copy of the form. Do you know how long it will take to process and be sent to me (from date of entry)?

They say it takes 4-6 weeks, but mine was much quicker. That was back in May, think it took 2 weeks.

Noorah101 Jul 19th 2013 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by scottie_uk (Post 10808847)

Second sentence in Post #4.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...65&postcount=4

Rene

markonline1 Jul 20th 2013 5:32 am

When you say marriage visa do you mean K1? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ticking that box doesn't apply to marriage visa's. I ticked the box but still had to apply. I went down to my local social security office with my paperwork, I had the card come through the post within 4 days. Very efficient!

Noorah101 Jul 20th 2013 6:51 am

Originally Posted by scottie_uk (Post 10807395)
Hi, I have entered the US on an immigrant visa by marriage.

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 10809423)
When you say marriage visa do you mean K1?

No. The OP entered the USA on an Immigrant Visa, not a K-1. Only people getting an Immigrant Visa can check that box and get a SSN automatically. A K-1 (non-immigrant visa) cannot.

Rene

scottie_uk Jul 23rd 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks for your help. I was able to get a social security number by visiting the local office. They provided me with temporary proof until my social security card comes though.

Rete Jul 23rd 2013 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 10809423)
When you say marriage visa do you mean K1? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ticking that box doesn't apply to marriage visa's. I ticked the box but still had to apply. I went down to my local social security office with my paperwork, I had the card come through the post within 4 days. Very efficient!

No, that is not a marriage visa. That is a fiancee visa. He entered with an approved Immediate Relative Visa (I-130) which makes him a permanent resident asa he enters the US.