Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for Social Security Number

Applying for Social Security Number

Old Feb 4th 2019, 9:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Social Security Number

Honestly Rete, I am really kinda glad you are not doing my job.
https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm
You must present your foreign birth certificate if you have it or can get it within 10 days. If not, we will consider other documents such as your passport or a document issued by DHS as evidence of your age.
I have been into the SSA about 20 times in the last 2 months with L1/L2 visa holders from one particular country that mostly do not have their birth certificates
You WILL be asked if you have your birth certificate, if you answer "no" then the next question is "Where is it?" If you reply "Rete said I didn't need it and it is at my apartment " then you will most likely be asked to return with it. Who wants an unnecessary visit to the SSA?
If you answer "It is in my home country" you will be asked how long it will take you to get it. Less than 10 days and you will be asked to return with it. If you answer anything more than 10 days, they will use your passport for DOB.
Please note that all answers are recorded with the ssa.

It really is a bit daft since the i94 has your birth date on it as does your passport,
Old Feb 5th 2019, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

carboncrank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for Social Security Number

+1 for PF’s recipe....this is exactly what I did on a L1 visa earlier this year. The process at the office was pretty quick and I received the card and number in the mail 8 days later.