Reload this Page >

Applying for Social Security Number

Applying for Social Security Number

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Antihero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Social Security Number

Hi All

Well I am doing some pre planning before my move later in the year and trying to find out how easy is it to apply for the SSN when in USA for myself and family ? what documents do I actually need? I have found online the centre local to where I will be working.just not so clear on the paperwork side

How long does it normally take ?

Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for Social Security Number

Hi
I was issued with the numver almost immediatey but had to wait 2/3 weeks for the actual card
requirements were straightforward https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not a US Citizen, then you need to present the completed form and your passport and green card or an employment authorization document or the visa which is in your passport.

Depending on the type of visa you are entering with your family may or may not be eligible for a social security number.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antihero
Hi All

Well I am doing some pre planning before my move later in the year and trying to find out how easy is it to apply for the SSN when in USA for myself and family ? what documents do I actually need? I have found online the centre local to where I will be working.just not so clear on the paperwork side

How long does it normally take ?

Thanks
What visas will you and the family have?

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

I will be on a l1 visa and my wife on spouse l2.i presume I can still apply for Ssn
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can, but not until after you enter the USA on the L1 visa.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Beraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond repute

25 years ago i turned up at the local ss office and asked for a ss number. They gave me one and I've had it ever since.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 9:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for a SSN after you enter on L1. You need the SSN application and your passport with visa inside. It takes a couple of weeks to arrive in the mail.

Your wife may need to wait untll she has an EAD in hand in order to apply for her SSN.

The kids will not be able to get a SSN. When you file your first US tax return, you can apply for an ITIN numberfor them.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2019, 2:53 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

After entering USA with L1/L2 visas
check details of i94 on https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
click on "get most recent i94" - print this out,

wait 7 days before going to the nearest SS office ( to ensure that you will be found in SAVE database)
passports with stamps
i94 for both of you
birth certificates
marriage certificate for your wife

Fill out the form https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf
Old Feb 4th 2019, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
After entering USA with L1/L2 visas
check details of i94 on https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
click on "get most recent i94" - print this out,

wait 7 days before going to the nearest SS office ( to ensure that you will be found in SAVE database)
passports with stamps
i94 for both of you
birth certificates
marriage certificate for your wife

Fill out the form https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf
Thanks , will i need a Birth certificate for myself?
Old Feb 4th 2019, 12:36 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

That is the SSA's first choice of document to determine date of birth, if you don't have one and can't get one within 10 days then they will use your passport for DOB
Old Feb 4th 2019, 12:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, your UK passport is sufficient. My Canadian didn't need his birth certificate. His passport was fine as for proof of birthday.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 12:38 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Rete
No, your UK passport is sufficient. My Canadian didn't need his birth certificate. His passport was fine as for proof of birthday.
sorry Rete This is no longer the case.
If you cannot get a Birth certificate then they will use your passport but if you have one, you should bring it
Old Feb 4th 2019, 1:01 pm
Austin. TX.

To answer the OP's original question of how long does it take-
if you go to the SS office before 7 days after arrival and the SAVE database cannot verify your immigration status automatically, then your immigration status will be manually verified and this means a wait of 4-6 weeks for your ss card.
If you go after 7 days, then you should be ok and it will be with you within 10-14 days.

Until March last year, you were pretty good to go if you could print out your i94, but then they messed around with the databases and now it takes longer for SAVE to be updated by immigration/homeland security
Old Feb 4th 2019, 1:46 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
sorry Rete This is no longer the case.
If you cannot get a Birth certificate then they will use your passport but if you have one, you should bring it
Sorry, PF, but you have contradicted yourself in an effort to prove me wrong.

From form S-5

Evidence

IN GENERAL, you must provide a birth certificate. In some situations, we may accept another document that shows your age. Some of the other documents we may accept are:

US Hospital record of your birth (created at the time of your birth)
Passport
Etc.

You will note the words IN GENERAL. It does not say MANDATORY. No where on the S-5 does it say if you can't get a birth certificate we will accept ... blah blah blah. While it is prudent to have your birth certificate, if you don't have one or fail to bring it with you at the time you apply for SSN and if you only have your passport, that is sufficient. The rules have not changed. Are the same from 1964 when I first applied for a social security card, 1998 when my husband applied for his social security card and today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.