British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Applying for Social Security (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/applying-social-security-883223/)

julymermaid Sep 12th 2016 4:09 pm

Applying for Social Security

Hiya

We are in receipt of our L1/L2 visa and are moving to Thousand Oaks California in November. We were trying to get ourselves sorted with regards SSN applications, driving licenses etc.

We expect to be living in a serviced apartment for the first month or so until we find a place to Rent. Can we apply for SSN using the office address?
Do we have to notify change in address once we do have a Residential address sorted?

Also, do we need an international drivers permit?

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks !

Noorah101 Sep 12th 2016 4:16 pm

Re: Applying for Social Security

1. Yes, office address is OK.

2. No, don't need to notify SS of change of address.

3. No, don't need international DL.

Rene

Pulaski Sep 12th 2016 4:17 pm

You can use you office address to register with Social Security, or use any other address where you can receive your SS cards.

An IDP is a waste of time and money because you will arrive as a resident of California, not a visitor (though the value of a IDP for a visitor is also debatable). After taking up residence in CA you have ten days to get a CA drivers license. "Taking up residence" means starting a job, renting a house, registering a child in school etc.

The ten days is a wildly unrealistic timeframe given that you will need to register for and take a road test, but you need to use your best endeavors to get a CA license as soon as reasonably possible. In the mean time, carry evidently that you are working on getting a CA license with you in your car, and drive carefully! .... Bear in mind that if a cop stops you he/she doesn't have access to any database that shows exactly when you became resident in CA, and in fact no such database exists, but in the event that you cause a major traffic incident the police could dig into your background to show when you started work, moved in to temporary accommodation pending the renting of an apartment, etc.

julymermaid Sep 12th 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks ever so much Noorah101 and Pulaski !

That's £11 saved and a whole lot of time too.

BrownBandit Sep 14th 2016 11:01 pm

Also, check out if your social security office and DMV allow appointments, if so, make them!

It can be a nightmare queuing in those places without one unless you get there early, and by early I mean at least 30 mins prior to opening.

You can make those appointments online.

Dont forget that you should not visit the SSA office for at least 10 days after arrival as your I-94 will probably not be cleared in the system and it could delay your application.

I waited exactly 10 days, applied, went back 2 days later and got my number in person (they can write it down for you but can't give you anything official). But I still had my card 3 business days later which was mighty impressive.

Pulaski Sep 14th 2016 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by BrownBandit (Post 12052569)
Also, check out if your ..... DMV allow appointments, ...... It can be a nightmare queuing in those places without one unless you get there early, ....

That depends on the area - in a rural area they can be quite quiet. I showed up to get my first NC license, swapping out a VA license, shortly after 4pm. Having got my license Mrs P and I went to register our vehicles, which meant a journey to another office - several miles away. By 5pm I had my license and our vehicles were registered. :thumbsup:

sir_eccles Sep 14th 2016 11:24 pm

Can't remember the details but aren't some L1 dependents restricted to ITINs and can't get an SSN unless they also have an EAD?

Pulaski Sep 14th 2016 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 12052584)
Can't remember the details but aren't some L1 dependents restricted to ITINs and can't get an SSN unless they also have an EAD?

That sounds right - maybe the L-2 minors who are ineligible for an EAD under any circumstances? :unsure:

BrownBandit Sep 14th 2016 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 12052584)

I am on an L1, I just had my letter of employment, passport (with visa), and i-94 with me when I applied. Got my SS pretty easily from there.

Edit: Ignore me, didn't read the original statement correctly and missed the word "dependents"

BrownBandit Sep 14th 2016 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12052582)
That depends on the area - in a rural area they can be quite quiet. I showed up to get my first NC license, swapping out a VA license, shortly after 4pm. Having got my license Mrs P and I went to register our vehicles, which meant a journey to another office - several miles away. By 5pm I had my license and our vehicles were registered. :thumbsup:

My SS was pretty easy myself, arrived early on the first day to be 3rd in queue and then went back after lunch on the Friday before the 4th July long weekend and was seen straight away.

I'm told my experience there was quite lucky though.

My dmv trip for my license was awful though, spent ages in there and was 30th or so in the queue even though I was there 20 minutes prior to opening.

MarylandNed Sep 19th 2016 5:44 pm

You should report any address changes to USCIS within 10 days:

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange