Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for multiple UK passports for children

Applying for multiple UK passports for children

Old Nov 16th 2012, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for multiple UK passports for children

I have two kids who have US passports. I would like them both to have UK passports as well. When I went to the consulate in Los Angeles they advised me there was no point registering them as I could just get the passports and that would be the same thing ostensibly. Since I am UK citizen they will be too (they were both born in the US).
My question is I need to send my birth certificate and marriage certificate. Can I send that with both passport applications or are they in danger of getting lost and separated? Since they need the original birth certificate is it possible I cannot apply for more than one passport at a time?
I also have to send their US passports I believe. Will they return them? We also need to renew one of the US passports and I think I have to send the old one back in that application.
Any advice on this greatly appreciated.
We are planning on travelling next Easter so we should have enough time for all this... I hope.

gabriel
Old Nov 16th 2012, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for multiple UK passports for children

Originally Posted by angelman
I have two kids who have US passports. I would like them both to have UK passports as well. When I went to the consulate in Los Angeles they advised me there was no point registering them as I could just get the passports and that would be the same thing ostensibly. Since I am UK citizen they will be too (they were both born in the US).
There are hundreds of threads going over the pro and con to that train of thought. Personally I feel if you can afford to register, it's good value to do so, even if you don't bother getting the certificate.

As to the passport, you can send them as one package, according to the numerous previous posts asking the same question.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I did actually do some searches on here for both topics although it's not easy to know how to frame a search. I appreciate you taking the time to reply though.
Thankyou.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

One other question though. I assume they will return the US passports with the UK passport once they are finished with them.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One other question though. I assume they will return the US passports with the UK passport once they are finished with them.
Yes. But you don't need or want to send the US passport. Just a photocopy of it.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Really? It says on the form that you have to send all passports including foreign ones. When I tried to apply in the UK they were adamant that I had to send the US passports which of course I couldn't do because we needed them to return back to the US. Or do I just deny that they have a US passport? How would they know they have a US passport anyway?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:35 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't send a copy of the USA passport. You will need your long form birth certificate though - if you don't have it (and you probably won't) then go to the GRO website and order then up.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Really? It says on the form that you have to send all passports including foreign ones. When I tried to apply in the UK they were adamant that I had to send the US passports which of course I couldn't do because we needed them to return back to the US. Or do I just deny that they have a US passport? How would they know they have a US passport anyway?
Many threads on the subject, Dean, the consul chap on BE has also confirmed that many times.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

did you state that the kids did have another passport or just aid no? I believe I have a ong form passport as I just ordered one when I was back in UK
Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:49 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

When I went to the consulate in Los Angeles they advised me there was no point registering them as I could just get the passports and that would be the same thing ostensibly.
They misled you. Ask them whether they registered their own children born in the US.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:53 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

did you state that the kids did have another passport or just aid no? I believe I have a ong form passport as I just ordered one when I was back in UK
I don't remember. I know she did have one at the time.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

My question is I need to send my birth certificate and marriage certificate. Can I send that with both passport applications or are they in danger of getting lost and separated? Since they need the original birth certificate is it possible I cannot apply for more than one passport at a time?
I also have to send their US passports I believe. Will they return them? We also need to renew one of the US passports and I think I have to send the old one back in that application.
Any advice on this greatly appreciated.
We are planning on travelling next Easter so we should have enough time for all this... I hope.

gabriel
Yes, send your docs in with both passport applications. I've done this without any problem.

You don't need to send in the US passports. Just send in a photocopy of the photo page. If you want, there is space on the UK passport apps for you to state that you are not sending in the actual US passports because they are needed for travel.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

I never sent the US passport for my daughter when applying for her UK passport.
I just sent a copy with a note on it saying she needed to keep the US one as she was about to travel with it, which she was.