Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for a marriage license in the states

Applying for a marriage license in the states

Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

blinkgoddess is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Applying for a marriage license in the states

I have a question, unsure if this is the right place to ask but hoping someone might have some experience here...

We (he, UKC and I, USC) want to marry here in the states and then he will return to the UK while I stay here and file the I-130. Not ideal in our eyes, and not the way people I know have done it, but seems to be the safest and "by-the-book" way... we'd rather spend a few long months apart than risk him being deported or banned

That said - I live in Maryland and I've looked - and I mean scoured - the internet for information but maybe I'm just googling it wrong.. I found the marriage license application information (forms, fees, where, etc etc..) but all the forms require a SSN for both parties!

How / where are we supposed to marry while he's still a UKC? Please don't tell me Vegas.. we will, but dammit that's not a trip I want to make at the moment Is there something I'm not googling?

Thanks in advance for any advice / experience you could offer..
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a marriage license in the states

Originally Posted by blinkgoddess
I have a question, unsure if this is the right place to ask but hoping someone might have some experience here...

We (he, UKC and I, USC) want to marry here in the states and then he will return to the UK while I stay here and file the I-130. Not ideal in our eyes, and not the way people I know have done it, but seems to be the safest and "by-the-book" way... we'd rather spend a few long months apart than risk him being deported or banned

That said - I live in Maryland and I've looked - and I mean scoured - the internet for information but maybe I'm just googling it wrong.. I found the marriage license application information (forms, fees, where, etc etc..) but all the forms require a SSN for both parties!

How / where are we supposed to marry while he's still a UKC? Please don't tell me Vegas.. we will, but dammit that's not a trip I want to make at the moment Is there something I'm not googling?

Thanks in advance for any advice / experience you could offer..
My guess is that if you have a SSN you can provide it...and if you're ineligible for a SSN (as he will be), he won't need to provide it.

Rene
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

This site doesn't mention needing a SSN: http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriag...p/maryland.htm

Rene
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

blinkgoddess is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhh, no that one doesn't but this states it's mandatory: http://www.courts.state.md.us/clerks.../marriage.html and both the Non-Resident Marriage Application and marriage application work sheet seem to require it.

I'll probably call tomorrow, it's just nearly midnight and I'm combing through the forums. He's coming out for a few weeks at Christmas and I just can't get my fill of information What else am I supposed to do when it's nearly 5 am in the uk! :P

Thanks for your help...
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:29 am

Ahhhh, no that one doesn't but this states it's mandatory: http://www.courts.state.md.us/clerks.../marriage.html and both the Non-Resident Marriage Application and marriage application work sheet seem to require it.

I'll probably call tomorrow, it's just nearly midnight and I'm combing through the forums. He's coming out for a few weeks at Christmas and I just can't get my fill of information What else am I supposed to do when it's nearly 5 am in the uk! :P

Thanks for your help...
I hightly doubt a SSN is mandatory. Visitors to the USA *can* get married while here, and they are *not* eligible to get a SSN.

Rene
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:33 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

When we got married, if I remember correctly, we just put "none" in the box and that was fine. The best thing to do is go to the court house and ask...
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I hightly doubt a SSN is mandatory. Visitors to the USA *can* get married while here, and they are *not* eligible to get a SSN.
I, too, doubt that it is mandatory but remember that marriage is a state issue and the requirements can and do vary from state to state so it is not inconceivable that some state might require something that a visitor would not have.

Remember Loving vs Virginia wasn't decided until 1967 ...
Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

I agree with Trixie_b - best to go and ask at the courthouse. Speak to a supervisor if the desk clerk doesn't know, that's what we had to do! We married in NC and I just needed to sign a statement to confirm I did not have a SSN.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

im uk citizen my now wife us citizen.

we got married in rockville maryland in october and we just went to the court house and fied the application and got our marriage license there and then.

my wife just put her ssn and because im from enggland we left mine blank

so just go get married and start the long drawn out process

god its depressing waiting around when we could be together.

good luck
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:25 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I, too, doubt that it is mandatory but remember that marriage is a state issue and the requirements can and do vary from state to state so it is not inconceivable that some state might require something that a visitor would not have.
Forget state to state, it varies from county to county.

It is mandatory to have a SSN in our home county, so as I didnt have one at the time, we had to go to the neighbouring county to get our marriage license.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Maryland and I've looked...
Is there a reason you need to be married in Maryland? You can get married anywhere - US immigration certainly doesn't care. My wife and I live in Kentucky and got married in Tennessee.

Ian
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Mrs Van Geffen is an unknown quantity at this point

I married my husband in California on 11.11.11 (me UKC him USC), we just went to the courthouse paid the fee and got the licence. I didn't fill out any US SSC and we got the license no problem!

I would ask at the courthouse to be sure and if you need an SSC then California is a very beautiful place to get married

Good luck x
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Whether the clerks or supervisors know or not, 99 times out of 100 their response will be something along the lines of "I can give you the form but I cannot help you fill it out. If you need help, consult a lawyer." Court house staff are not lawyers and are generally well trained to not provide legal advice, and answering the question about whether or not a SSN is required by law is giving legal advice.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
The best thing to do is go to the court house and ask...
Originally Posted by halfmoon
I agree with Trixie_b - best to go and ask at the courthouse. Speak to a supervisor if the desk clerk doesn't know, that's what we had to do!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:34 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Whether the clerks or supervisors know or not, 99 times out of 100 their response will be something along the lines of "I can give you the form but I cannot help you fill it out. If you need help, consult a lawyer." Court house staff are not lawyers and are generally well trained to not provide legal advice, and answering the question about whether or not a SSN is required by law is giving legal advice.

Regards, JEff
OK then, go to the court house, fill out the form, leave the SS no blank or say none, hand it back if they accept it OK, if they don't you have your answer.

I think the phrase is: "Suck it and see"

By the way, you may or may not be interested in our experience of getting married. The court house staff were not one bit interested in my immigration status. And immigration were only interested in if we were legally married and that it was genuine.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:05 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the phrase was "try it and see", but I may be behind the times. In any case I like this one better as long as I'm the ...ee.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I think the phrase is: "Suck it and see".