Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

applying for kids UK passport ~ not registered yet

applying for kids UK passport ~ not registered yet

Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: applying for kids UK passport ~ not registered yet

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Couple of points...sure you need to show proof the person is a UKC, but once that is done for the registration, it's done.

The passport route needs to be established from scratch in the event the passport is lost/stolen or expired x number of time.

Registration is optional but only because most other countries do not alter a birth certificate in the event of an adoption and depending on how your state in the US issues a birth cert, it can mean the difference of then having to find hospital records showing when/where the person was born and their parents at the time if the US cert isn't accepted.

You didn't face any problems and that is great. That might not be the case for other people.

Being aware of and choosing which route to go based on full knowledge of the consequences and of the ability to afford doing what ever is a good thing.
Exactly. If you mitigate against the risks, you don't need to do consular birth registration. For some people, it makes perfect sense. Consular birth registration is an option - but it's not the only one. Having the actual documents (including a UK passport) in hand is the best option. Consular birth registration alone isn't going to be as good as having a UK passport. It does make everything easier if you lose all of your documents - but then you also have to replace your consular/GRO birth cert too. Having multiple copies of documents stored in multiple secure places just seems like a better option to me. To each their own.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
Exactly. If you mitigate against the risks, you don't need to do consular birth registration. For some people, it makes perfect sense. Consular birth registration is an option - but it's not the only one. Having the actual documents (including a UK passport) in hand is the best option. Consular birth registration alone isn't going to be as good as having a UK passport. It does make everything easier if you lose all of your documents - but then you also have to replace your consular/GRO birth cert too. Having multiple copies of documents stored in multiple secure places just seems like a better option to me. To each their own.
Going online and paying 10 squid at the GRO for a registered birth cert, that proves UK citizenship, is a hell of a lot easier than having to rely on keeping for life US birth certs, or if not having those to hand that were issued within 3 months, hospital records, to replace a lost/stolen passport though, as well as parental birth certs and information :/
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you mitigate against the risks,
You can't realistically mitigate against your risks. There's a chance you won't even be alive for a considerable period of the risk.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
You can't realistically mitigate against your risks. There's a chance you won't even be alive for a considerable period of the risk.
That's the whole point about risk mitigation...I'm not important. Multiple copies of important documents stored in multiple secure locations simply don't die and are readily available whenever they are needed.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

That's the whole point about risk mitigation...I'm not important. Multiple copies of important documents stored in multiple secure locations simply don't die and are readily available whenever they are needed.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:08 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

This is not an "either or" situation. The point you seem to be completely missing is this...people routinely have copies of their real birth certs anyway REGARDLESS of whether they also do consular birth registration. You can't be seriously suggesting that doing consular birth registration negates the need to have and look after a physical US birth cert. At least I sincerely hope that's not what you're suggesting.
I read a case in the newspaper the other day about a women who was born abroad to British parents and taken to the UK when she was a child. Her birth was never registered at a British Consulate and now she has no documentation to prove her birth as her mother also lost her original foreign birth certificate and despite their best efforts they have not been able to get a copy. Consequently she is now having difficulty proving her citizenship and as she has no record of her birth is currently unable to obtain a British passport.

Of course this is an extreme case, but it just goes to show that if all the stars align having only the bare minimum of docs can cause issues later in life.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

We wouldn't NOT consider registering our kids with the UK consulate upon their birth! And we will do the overkill expensive passport as the back-up.

I'm from NY and as an American by birth from Podunk, NY, when my original birth certificate got lost in one of many moves, getting the replacement was difficult as our county clerk's office had since moved after a fire...my record of birth was not found. It took positively months for Albany to track down the duplicate state filing, and it did have a different issue date. In the meantime, I was stranded in the US as all I had was copies of the original, which I could not use for my visa to where I was going. As this was work, I could have lost my contract.

My hubby is a UK citizen and we will register our kids because this means forever it is on record..no matter what happens to us, or whatever happens to our kids. How can you guarantee they'll watch physical paper like hawks like you do? I too agree that registration and even the physical passport is more 'safe' than storing the original birth cert in a bank. Even Americans don't do that this type of "system" for our documents as we don't trust banks to begin with, including their abilities to safeguard documents.

Bob may sound harsh but the bottom-line, the best way to protect your kids UK claims is to register them. JMHO.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:14 pm
ipy
Just Joined

ipy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ane View Post
hi! i have another question...

i'm filling out the passport application for my son (i'm his mom)

i am a british citizen (born in the uk) my son was born in the US & i haven't registered his birth with any British Consulate yet...

so when i get to these two questions below i have to answer no:

was the child born in a foreign country & the birth registered at a British Consulate?

was the child registered as a British citizen, British Dependent/Overseas Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or British protected person?

can i still apply for his UK passport or do i need to register his birth with a British Consulate first...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
hi all. I am British and living in the US, and recently had a son (I am married to an American). I would like to get him a UK passport (he has a US one already). There is a lot of helpful info here - don't suppose someone could kindly send me/post the relevant links for applying for his UK passport?
Any other advise on the process welcome. I do see he/his birth doesn't need to be 'registered' in the UK. Thanks!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:26 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by ipy View Post
Any other advise on the process welcome. I do see he/his birth doesn't need to be 'registered' in the UK. Thanks!

His funeral.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:01 pm
ipy
Just Joined

His funeral.
Thanks Fatbrit...! or just the LINK would be fine.

After many long periods on the FCO, IPS, DirectGov and Home Office websites I am losing the will to live. For me, they just keep passing me via hotlinks back to each other's websites and eventually I realized I am in one of the Customer Service Touch-Tone type never ending loops.

I tried to apply for his UK passport a few months ago, but gave up and got him a US one to travel, but now want to re-try and get the British one.

Any help appreciated! - thanks
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:31 pm
Septicity

Thanks Fatbrit...! or just the LINK would be fine.

After many long periods on the FCO, IPS, DirectGov and Home Office websites I am losing the will to live. For me, they just keep passing me via hotlinks back to each other's websites and eventually I realized I am in one of the Customer Service Touch-Tone type never ending loops.

I tried to apply for his UK passport a few months ago, but gave up and got him a US one to travel, but now want to re-try and get the British one.

Any help appreciated! - thanks
If you're just going to do one thing, get his birth registered. The passport should be additional to the registration if you want a permanent documentary record of your son's claim to UK citizenship. The strong arguments for birth registration are peculiar to UKCs born in the US, and can be understood by reading the thread you are now in.

Birth registration: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/
Passport: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...als/passports/
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:34 pm
ipy
Just Joined

If you're just going to do one thing, get his birth registered. The passport should be additional to the registration if you want a permanent documentary record of your son's claim to UK citizenship. The strong arguments for birth registration are peculiar to UKCs born in the US, and can be understood by reading the thread you are now in.

Birth registration: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/
Passport: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...als/passports/
Thanks Fatbrit. I took a look and they are very helpful.

Btw I did see through the thread some of the issues around birth certificates etc, and on that point I noted on the first link you sent through it says "we recommend that British parents, currently working in the USA on UK Government service should register their child's birth using the form on this website". That seemed a little strange (I am not in Gvmnt. Service).
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:37 pm
ipy
Just Joined

Thanks FatBrit! very helpful!!
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:14 am
Septicity

Thanks Fatbrit. I took a look and they are very helpful.

Btw I did see through the thread some of the issues around birth certificates etc, and on that point I noted on the first link you sent through it says "we recommend that British parents, currently working in the USA on UK Government service should register their child's birth using the form on this website". That seemed a little strange (I am not in Gvmnt. Service).
The problem is thus:

UK authorities may refuse to accept copies of US birth certificates issued more than 3 months after the birth. The reason for this is that the US authorities will amend birth certificates to reflect adoptions without so annotating.

A registration is permanent; you cannot lose it. Everything else expires, can be lost or destroyed, or requires regular renewal. UK authorities are, for example, also currently refusing to accept the old blue passports for renewal without proof of British citizenship.

UK FCO seems lukewarm about registration, though it's interesting to note that they recommend their own staff get it done. Goose, gander, etc.

If you're only doing one thing, get the registration -- you can pick the certificate up later in the UK at nominal cost rather than pay FCO's silly prices.

The passport is optional. A dual UK/US citizen living in the US can easily survive on just the US passport.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 1:54 pm
ipy
Just Joined

Thanks again Fatbrit.
I totally agree, sounds like very good advice. He doesn't need a 2nd passport now as you point out, I mainly wanted to have recognition of his British status for the future. Sounds like the registration takes care of that and may well eliminate issues in the future. Have a great day!