applying for kids UK passport ~ not registered yet

applying for kids UK passport ~ not registered yet

Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:21 pm
ane
Just Joined

ane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default applying for kids UK passport ~ not registered yet

hi! i have another question...

i'm filling out the passport application for my son (i'm his mom)

i am a british citizen (born in the uk) my son was born in the US & i haven't registered his birth with any British Consulate yet...

so when i get to these two questions below i have to answer no:

was the child born in a foreign country & the birth registered at a British Consulate?

was the child registered as a British citizen, British Dependent/Overseas Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or British protected person?

can i still apply for his UK passport or do i need to register his birth with a British Consulate first...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: applying for kids UK passport ~ not registered yet

Answer "NO" to those questions and continue. You do NOT need to register your son's birth with the UK authorities in order for him to obtain a UK passport.

3 of my 4 kids were born outside the UK. None of the births were registered with the UK authorities. Actually 2 of them were born in Canada. UK consular birth registration isn't even an option for UKC's born in Canada and some other countries (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa).

Read this (bolding by me):

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

"If your child is born outside the UK and is British, you can register the birth with the nearest consulate or with our consular department in London if you’ve returned to the UK. You don’t have to do this, but if you do your child will have a British style document and details of the birth will be held at the General Register Office in the UK. This is called Consular birth registration

The document we produce is not a UK birth certificate and should not be used as one. It does not take the place of the locally issued birth certificate.

Consular birth registrations also do not confer British nationality and are not required to register your child as a British citizen or needed before you can apply for a British passport. The reason is that British nationality is passed from parent to child and your child must have an automatic claim to British nationality at birth in order to make a registration."

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 16th 2012 at 2:41 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:28 am
ane
Just Joined

ane is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you soooooooo much
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We registered our kids, (no need to buy the certificate you can buy that later in UK for a lot less money)
Reason being, local birth certificates issued after baby is 3 months old can't be used for British passports, (some have sneaked under the radar) If you lose the local BC, like I did, and your kids are grown, you are dead they lose their UK passport and need another. It's a big piece of information that they can use to get that passport seeing they can't use the newly issued local BC this registration can be looked up for them in UK if they lose that too. What kid remembers all their parents info, I'm not even sure where my mother and father were born exactly, only the area of UK.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
We registered our kids, (no need to buy the certificate you can buy that later in UK for a lot less money)
Reason being, local birth certificates issued after baby is 3 months old can't be used for British passports, (some have sneaked under the radar) If you lose the local BC, like I did, and your kids are grown, you are dead they lose their UK passport and need another. It's a big piece of information that they can use to get that passport seeing they can't use the newly issued local BC this registration can be looked up for them in UK if they lose that too. What kid remembers all their parents info, I'm not even sure where my mother and father were born exactly, only the area of UK.
I used a US birth cert issued 5 years after my daughter's birth to obtain a UK passport for her.

The UK authorities are suspicious of US birth certs issued more than 3 months after birth because US birth records are amended in the case of adoptions (and so the parents named on a US birth cert may not be the biological parents). If you present such a birth cert, you MIGHT be asked additional questions to make sure that there hasn't been an adoption. It does NOT mean that the birth cert is automatically unacceptable.

In my case no questions were asked. US birth records are handled by each state and so formats and standards vary. My daughter's Maryland birth cert contains a "record changed date" and an "issue date". Although the "issue date" was 5 years after her birth, the "record changed date" was one day after her birth. It could be that the "record changed date" is the important date on the Maryland birth cert and the one that would be changed in the case of an adoption - but I don't know that for sure.

However, I agree that consular birth registration and obtaining a consular birth cert (or one through the GRO in the UK later) would certainly make this issue go away. Note that you can only get one through the GRO from the September following the year of consular birth registration. So if you register any time in 2012, you won't be able to get a GRO birth cert until September 2013.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Reason being, local birth certificates issued after baby is 3 months old can't be used for British passports...
Does depend on the state...some aren't a problem if they have the date of when the first birth cert was registered that is separate to the date of certificate issue....but not all states do that, some only have the date of issue on the cert and it is those that people might have issues with.

Anyway, plenty of threads going over the pros and cons of registering the birth, so easy enough to find out the info, but I think it's worth doing, MaN, above doesn't.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Does depend on the state...some aren't a problem if they have the date of when the first birth cert was registered that is separate to the date of certificate issue....but not all states do that, some only have the date of issue on the cert and it is those that people might have issues with.

Anyway, plenty of threads going over the pros and cons of registering the birth, so easy enough to find out the info, but I think it's worth doing, MaN, above doesn't.
That's subjective. It really depends on the situation and the people involved. I don't see the need for it for my daughter but other people may be in a situation where it makes sense for them. I have multiple US (Maryland) birth certs for my daughter stored in different locations. She can get more if she ever needs to and has already used one issued more than 3 months (i.e. 5 years) after her birth to obtain a UK passport. So who cares if she ever needs a replacement and has to use one issued 20+ years after her birth? So I really don't see the point in consular birth registration for her.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
That's subjective. It really depends on the situation and the people involved. I don't see the need for it for my daughter but other people may be in a situation where it makes sense for them. I have multiple US (Maryland) birth certs for my daughter stored in different locations. She can get more if she ever needs to and has already used one issued more than 3 months (i.e. 5 years) after her birth to obtain a UK passport. So who cares if she ever needs a replacement and has to use one issued 20+ years after her birth? So I really don't see the point in consular birth registration for her.
Like I said, it depends on the state. It works for you, so you didn't bother, but that's not the case of all the other 49 states.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Like I said, it depends on the state. It works for you, so you didn't bother, but that's not the case of all the other 49 states.
All of the other 49 states? How do you know that?

I just looked at someone's Virginia birth cert. It has "Date Record Filed" and a separate "Issue Date".

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 17th 2012 at 8:10 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the reason for not accepting BC's issued more than 3 months after birth is because of adoptions.
My Dd (adopted) has an amended Birth certificate, her shows a registration date of 6 days after her birth, it shows Dh and I as the birth parents and an issue date of when she was 2 years old.
So if they accept BC's based on registration date Dd's BC shows her's at 6 days old. I could have chanced and sent it off and got her a UK Passport, but she wasn't a UK citizen by decent, and needed to get UK citizenship first.
So in essence any child born abroad with a newly issued BC showing an issue date more than 3 months after birth could be adopted like my Dd. Where really they just lost the original and got a new issued one.
Registering the birth means they have proof they had citizenship by descent from birth. Even without the certificate they can bee looked up in the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Part of the reason for not accepting BC's issued more than 3 months after birth is because of adoptions.
My Dd (adopted) has an amended Birth certificate, her shows a registration date of 6 days after her birth, it shows Dh and I as the birth parents and an issue date of when she was 2 years old.
So if they accept BC's based on registration date Dd's BC shows her's at 6 days old. I could have chanced and sent it off and got her a UK Passport, but she wasn't a UK citizen by decent, and needed to get UK citizenship first.
So in essence any child born abroad with a newly issued BC showing an issue date more than 3 months after birth could be adopted like my Dd. Where really they just lost the original and got a new issued one.
Registering the birth means they have proof they had citizenship by descent from birth. Even without the certificate they can bee looked up in the UK.
Very interesting. I was really hoping that someone with experience of this would actually come along and describe exactly what a US birth cert looks like after an adoption (e.g. what the various dates look like).

I'm now really baffled as to why my daughter's US birth cert (issued 5 years after birth) didn't raise any questions. The answer may have something to do with different states having different procedures/standards - but I certainly don't know that for sure and quite frankly I actually doubt that. It may have just got "under the radar" as you put it. If that's true, I'll have to think about consular birth registration for my daughter.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ane View Post
hi! i have another question...

i'm filling out the passport application for my son (i'm his mom)

i am a british citizen (born in the uk) my son was born in the US & i haven't registered his birth with any British Consulate yet...

so when i get to these two questions below i have to answer no:

was the child born in a foreign country & the birth registered at a British Consulate?

was the child registered as a British citizen, British Dependent/Overseas Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or British protected person?

can i still apply for his UK passport or do i need to register his birth with a British Consulate first...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Is the child going to be living in the USA and merely visiting the UK?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
I'm now really baffled as to why my daughter's US birth cert (issued 5 years after birth) didn't raise any questions. The answer may have something to do with different states having different procedures/standards ...
Yes, that's exactly what the rest of us have been talking about.

Not every state issues a birth cert the same way, with the same info that you got on yours from Maryland
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, that's exactly what the rest of us have been talking about.

Not every state issues a birth cert the same way, with the same info that you got on yours from Maryland
I understand that. However, this is the FIRST time I've seen someone with experience of an adoption actually report exactly what happens to a "Date Record Filed" on a US birth cert after an adoption. I was thinking that maybe that or similar fields (e.g. "Date Record Changed") would be updated after an adoption. That's not what the previous poster reported with the "Date Record Filed". Of course, as you say, different states could be doing different things.

I still don't think that consular birth registration is absolutely necessary but I'll admit that I'm definitely leaning more towards recommending consular birth registration than I ever was before. If you're not going to do it, I think you had better obtain multiple copies of US birth certs within the first 3 months of birth, store them in different locations, and also obtain a UK passport for your child (you don't necessarily have to keep it current but get that first one at least). However, consular birth registration is certainly something to consider for people who do not feel like they have enough other documentation of their child's UK citizenship or who just don't feel comfortable with their child having to deal with this issue in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.