Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for jobs in the US

Applying for jobs in the US

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for jobs in the US

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There's actually a lot of IT stuff here in the Valley. But it's hardware based, not software. Intel, Motorola, On, etc.
I certainly can't claim to be an expert on AZ! Are these Intel/etc jobs design / development, or just 'production'? I know all these companies that are Silicon Valley based (Intel, AMD, HP, etc) setup offices in other locations (Austin, TX; Colorado Springs, CO; Portland, OR; etc) but I thought they were more along the lines of production facilities; the core development was still done 'back at the ranch' in CA. The move was justified due to lower real-estate costs, which are a bigger issue when you are building production facilities, etc.

A good buddy of mine used to work for AMD in Sunnyvale (CA), and was transferred to Austin, TX to head up a new design team of some sort - so I guess they do more than just production.

I would love to learn more about the IT employment situation here since I've now bought a condo here - I need to look for alternatives should my situation change !.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'd make it clear I did not expect or want any relocation, and would pay for the visa costs myself - that way, you are no more expensive than an out-of-work local. Getting someone to pay relo+legal in this economy would be too much to hope for.
Thing is, the company is responsible for the visa costs, you could be asked to pay the lawyers fee and premium processing if needed....and the company is also responsible for repatriation costs of getting rid of you as part of the visa requirement.

It's also time consuming and potential bad press of not hiring a local yokel that is the major hassle to over come.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nudda
Yes, quite right there. I had noticed quite a few gov jobs that have come up but which require you to have clearance and for clearance you need a green card so that ones out of the window!
Hi there - I believe for security clearance with the government you need to be a Citizen not even LPR's qualify....
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Hi there - I believe for security clearance with the government you need to be a Citizen not even LPR's qualify....
Correct.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

unrelated is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a note on IT jobs in the UK, the company i work for has a US office and the new member of staff (US) moved from New York all the way to San Diego CA for a job!

Seems like a long way to go for a job so might be hard pushed to find one.

cheers
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

bohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nice

Originally Posted by nudda
Obviously Im British. Am looking to move to the US and have a 2 degrees (under and post grad), relevant certifications and experience in my line of work (IT consultant). Ive had a look around this site and have read somewhere that applying for jobs on the net is pretty much useless as the recruiters in the US dont pay much attention to applicants from outside of the US.

I have also tried looking for jobs on the net and there is not much out in Arizona, where I actually want to move to. I am sure its not because there are no jobs out there ... but maybe I am just going about this all the wrong way, as the process may differ.

Can anyone please advise ?

Thanks

Being that you are degreed, you might be best served using a "head hunter" to help you. They can negotiate the details of your employment for you, and ultimately bring you higher wages, etc. They take a percentage (I think), so they are invested in the outcome. Might be worth a try. Good luck!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

bohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nice

Originally Posted by unrelated
Just a note on IT jobs in the UK, the company i work for has a US office and the new member of staff (US) moved from New York all the way to San Diego CA for a job!

Seems like a long way to go for a job so might be hard pushed to find one.

cheers
Poor guy.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bohemianprincess
Being that you are degreed, you might be best served using a "head hunter" to help you. They can negotiate the details of your employment for you, and ultimately bring you higher wages, etc. They take a percentage (I think), so they are invested in the outcome. Might be worth a try. Good luck!
recruiters unless going for exec positions are generally pretty rubbish though and just as likely to put people off employing you, going for 30% of your negotiated salary as a finders fee to the employer.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
recruiters unless going for exec positions are generally pretty rubbish though and just as likely to put people off employing you, going for 30% of your negotiated salary as a finders fee to the employer.
Thanks Bob, I wasn't sure about that And OMG 30% is friggin criminal!