Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for jobs before you go back

Applying for jobs before you go back

Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for jobs before you go back

Here's a suggestion regarding setting up interviews in another location:

Obviously it's tough and expensive to fly somewhere just for a single interview. Ten years ago when we relocated from California to Boston, I was looking for work. I identified a dozen different jobs/companies that I was interested in and contacted them all according to the application process.

I then followed up with a phone call to make sure they had received my application and tried to speak to the person in charge of hiring for the role. I was able to get through to almost all of them. During the call I told them all that I was relocating from California and that I was going to be flying into Boston for interviews over a three day window. I told each of them in turn that I already had interviews setup during the time window even though for the first few, I really didn't. But using the sales technique of 'the alternative close' I was able to tie them down to thinking when they could interview me, rather than why they should interview me, if that makes sense. I suggested an interview on day 1, 2 or 3 and which one would work best for them.

The approach really worked for me. Out of 12 companies I contacted, I was able to get 7 interviews over the course of three days in Boston. I was offered 3 of the jobs and then had my pick.

So when we get closer to moving back to the UK, I am going to try and do the same thing. Like others have said previously, it's better to do an interview in person if you can, plus having a few interviews lined up helps lessen the cost of the trip and makes the most of your time.

I hope this helps!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
So when we get closer to moving back to the UK, I am going to try and do the same thing. Like others have said previously, it's better to do an interview in person if you can, plus having a few interviews lined up helps lessen the cost of the trip and makes the most of your time.

I hope this helps!
I personally think this is the best way for poeple to approach it. If I could go back and have the forsight and ability to plan a bit more, this is exactly what I would have tried.

Now that I know my arrival date I am still going to use this technique in a way-its what I did when I came to Canada. It's a matter of getting them to think you're a hot commodity in the few days after you step of the plane.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
Here's a suggestion regarding setting up interviews in another location:

Obviously it's tough and expensive to fly somewhere just for a single interview. Ten years ago when we relocated from California to Boston, I was looking for work. I identified a dozen different jobs/companies that I was interested in and contacted them all according to the application process.

I then followed up with a phone call to make sure they had received my application and tried to speak to the person in charge of hiring for the role. I was able to get through to almost all of them. During the call I told them all that I was relocating from California and that I was going to be flying into Boston for interviews over a three day window. I told each of them in turn that I already had interviews setup during the time window even though for the first few, I really didn't. But using the sales technique of 'the alternative close' I was able to tie them down to thinking when they could interview me, rather than why they should interview me, if that makes sense. I suggested an interview on day 1, 2 or 3 and which one would work best for them.

The approach really worked for me. Out of 12 companies I contacted, I was able to get 7 interviews over the course of three days in Boston. I was offered 3 of the jobs and then had my pick.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice and input. I like that approach a lot. I have to figure out how to employ it now