Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for jobs before you go back

Applying for jobs before you go back

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for jobs before you go back

Just wondering if any of you started applying for jobs before you returned to the UK. If so were any of you able to secure work without the face to face interview? Were employers open to your application even though you were not in the country yet and did they arrange phone interviews or skype interviews. What did you find was the best way to apply, through their website and job posting boards or by contacting them directly to explain the situation? Sorry for so many questions just trying to get a good idea of what to do if I decide to return.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Applying for jobs before you go back

I had a skype interview this week, but withdrew my application after speaking to them (don't ask). My partner has had several, and has had an offer. I don't expect to get any others; I'm not particularly senior nor do I have particularly unique skills.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had a skype interview a couple of weeks back. Since then, they changed the job to a 3mo contract, which won't work for us.

Last year, when we first went back to the UK, my OH (who's the Brit btw), he did a phone interview with the company, then a Skype interview, and then he flew over to the UK for an in-person interview and eventually received an offer. After accepting the position, he had to be there to start the job in about 4weeks. Then we pinged back to the US in December, so now we're back to square one with him trying to find another position over there.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:27 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a paramedic with the UK NHS and before I left to come to Australia I was given a 5 year sabbatical which will end in March 2013.

I thought it would be easy enough to return to work, just a few e-mails and a return to work interview but oh no, the HR woman I am dealing with is the devil let me tell you!!!!!

I have kept a copy of my sabbatical letter and also e-mails between her and I. She keeps dragging her heels even though I have agreed to work at any station and undergo any retraining they deem necessary but still she continues to ignore my recent e-mails and never seems to answer her phone either. I'm waiting until I go home and I shall turn up at HQ and tackle her face to face.

I'd rather work freelance, which is entirely possible, but it would be nice to have a job to go home to just until I find my feet. It would also be easier not to have to live on my savings until I get a job.

Good luck with your job hunt and your upcoming move
Old Aug 24th 2012, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

I have an interview over Skype over tomorrow, so I shall let you know if it works!
Old Aug 25th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cancov
I have an interview over Skype over tomorrow, so I shall let you know if it works!
How did your Skype interview go?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almo
I had a skype interview this week, but withdrew my application after speaking to them (don't ask). My partner has had several, and has had an offer. I don't expect to get any others; I'm not particularly senior nor do I have particularly unique skills.
Did you register with a recruiter or post your CV online? Just wondering how to get the process started. I do have a lot of skills and have senior management experience so I am hoping that I will be able to secure employment, just wondering how to start the process while still here in the US.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
How did your Skype interview go?
Well the interview went well, no technical glitches. It is definitely NOT the same as being there in person, being able to shake hands, read people's "vibe" etc.

I did well, but I didn't get the job. I'm dissapointed because I honestly feel if I was there I would have done better in the interview. This is the first time in my life I have ever had an interview and not got the job, so it is discouraging.

Oh well, back to the job search. I am sure something will come up.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Did you register with a recruiter or post your CV online? Just wondering how to get the process started. I do have a lot of skills and have senior management experience so I am hoping that I will be able to secure employment, just wondering how to start the process while still here in the US.
I applied directly, I found the job on their website. I am probably over qualified, but not by so much as to make my application ridiculous. My partner contacted a few recruiters and also posted his CV online and had a lot of responses, but they definitely needed to be filtered - some approached him for jobs he didn't want and others clearly didn't read the info properly and once they realised he was in Australia they were put off.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:18 am
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

I applied for one! I did register with a journalism jobs site, and that was actually where I found the listing I wanted to apply to. I chose to send them an email, but I also have my CV posted on the website and myself listed as a jobseeker. I think if you put a note in your cover letter that explains why you have a foreign phone/address then it kind of helps. I mentioned in mine that I'd be returning in September. Hope that helps!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tel8
I applied for one! I did register with a journalism jobs site, and that was actually where I found the listing I wanted to apply to. I chose to send them an email, but I also have my CV posted on the website and myself listed as a jobseeker. I think if you put a note in your cover letter that explains why you have a foreign phone/address then it kind of helps. I mentioned in mine that I'd be returning in September. Hope that helps!
Thanks Tel8. I posted my CV on some job sites and actually stated on the resume by my address that I am relocating back to UK. Hopefully this will help anyone that sees my resume. I will definitely follow your advice if I apply for jobs and be clear in my cover letter about my return.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cancov
Well the interview went well, no technical glitches. It is definitely NOT the same as being there in person, being able to shake hands, read people's "vibe" etc.

I did well, but I didn't get the job. I'm dissapointed because I honestly feel if I was there I would have done better in the interview. This is the first time in my life I have ever had an interview and not got the job, so it is discouraging.

Oh well, back to the job search. I am sure something will come up.
Sorry it didnt go well. You are right about phone and skype interviews being different than face to face. Definitely a whole new bunch of interviewing skills that are needed. Try not to get too disheartened I'm sure something will come up for you soon
Old Aug 26th 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to the Op for this thread. I have been reading avidly. As someone who is going to be trying this route as well before my definite return it is good to see others experience. If anyone has been successful applying from abroad your tips would be welcome. The obvious is to explain why you are applying from abroad but I can't keep from thinking that this just disadvantages me from the start, you know file 13 i.e., the bin before the real election process starts, because of the obvious complications, having to offer everyone the same service - Skype interviews or just an unwillingness by the selection panel to even deal with unusual situations because there are enough possibilities already out there in a tight job market. Despondent talk I know but I wonder about these things. Any HR managers out there with tips in these situations?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

britinOR is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only once applied for a job in the UK and it was a teaching position, they wanted to interview me but they insisted that they were having all the candidates give a lesson to the students and so I would have to come in person. No skype option for them. I could not drop everything and run over to the UK for that since I was in the middle of writing and defending my thesis at graduate school so I dropped it.

That was a bit disheartening but I'm thinking of dipping my toes in the water again and looking at jobs in the UK once more. The 8 hour time difference from the UK to the Pacific Northwest is a pain in the backside for even phone calls or skype interviews. It's encouraging to hear the experiences of others in this thread.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Sorry it didnt go well. You are right about phone and skype interviews being different than face to face. Definitely a whole new bunch of interviewing skills that are needed. Try not to get too disheartened I'm sure something will come up for you soon
Thank you. I'm over the rejection now! I honestly believe if I had of been there in person I would have got the job. I need to be able to "read" the people and respond accordingly. I just couldn't get that over a laptop!

I am applying for more jobs, and hoping that I will be there in time for interviews this time round.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.