Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying h1 visa at border post

Applying h1 visa at border post

Old Jul 26th 2002, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

jyl6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying h1 visa at border post

Last year, I changed my status from F-1 to H1-B. The initial h1 runs until Aug. 31 and the extension was just granted starting Sep. 1. I will be attending a conference in Scotland at the beginning of September so I made a visa appointment at Toronto Consulate for Aug. 8. I just learned the appointment should be made ten days prior to the validity date or after the validity date has passed. Is Aug. 8 too early because the new validity date begins on Sep. 1 or will I be okay with that date because the initial valdity date has already passed? I called the visa information center, but they don't seem to know. Or does anyone know who I should contact to ask these questions other than the useless 900 number?
Old Jul 27th 2002, 6:21 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Applying h1 visa at border post

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:20:02 -0700, jyl6 wrote:

> Last year, I changed my status from F-1 to H1-B. The initial h1 runs until Aug. 31
    > and the extension was just granted starting Sep. 1. I will be attending a
    > conference in Scotland at the beginning of September so I made a visa appointment
    > at Toronto Consulate for Aug. 8. I just learned the appointment should be made ten
    > days prior to the validity date or after the validity date has passed. Is Aug. 8
    > too early because the new validity date begins on Sep. 1 or will I be okay with
    > that date because the initial valdity date has already passed? I called the visa
    > information center, but they don't seem to know. Or does anyone know who I should
    > contact to ask these questions other than the useless 900 number?

You should be OK.

The reason for the ten-day-before validity rule is that you should not enter the US
with your H-1B earlier than that - but since you already have an H-1B, that doesn't
apply to you (do bring the old petition as well as the new one!). In practice, you
will often be able to get the H-1B earlier than the ten days anyway.

Ingo