Reload this Page >

Applying for H-2B status

Applying for H-2B status

Old Jan 4th 2003, 4:10 am
Just Joined

Alexei in USA is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Applying for H-2B status

Hello everybody!
I have a question about changing my status while staying in the US.
I had a student status but my English course was finished in April. At that time I found employer who applied for the Alien Labor Certification with my name so than we could apply for H-2B status to INS. Application for Labor Certification is still in a process and I have not applied for a new status to INS yet (since May). Am I out of status now or am I still legal in a country since I have pending case in Department of Labor with my name? Does INS know that I am not studying any more and, if they do, will that affect my petition for change of status in the future?
Can you tell me if I can apply to INS for H-2B status without Labor Certification, so at least I would do something with INS as well as with Department of Labor? Or it's too late already?
Regarding my current status: on my I-20 I have INS stamp "valid until D/S (duration of status) and there is no any certain date; also on my I-20 I have "The normal length of study is one year....comlete studies not later than(date) 01/15/03. According to this, am I still legal in the US? and can I apply for H-2B status without Labor Certification?

I appreciate any help and any advice. Thank You very much in advance!