Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying For First British Passport from the US: Timing, Questions, and Concerns.

Applying For First British Passport from the US: Timing, Questions, and Concerns.

Old Feb 17th 2015, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

bazinga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying For First British Passport from the US: Timing, Questions, and Concerns.

Hello - I am just trying to get some information and answers to questions and concerns, I apologize in advance for the long post.

Background Information:
I applying for my first British Passport. I [believe] I am eligible to obtain my passport through “descent” of my mother. I was born Holland in 1984, lived in England until the early 90's when I moved to the US (am a current US citizen). My Mother is a current British citizen who was born in England in the 1950s. My mother has had her British citizenship since birth and is classified as a citizen ‘otherwise than by descent’.

I filled out my passport application online, sent in the signed deceleration form and documents. I tried to be as through as possible as to not incur delays and issues so I included these documents;

Included Documents:
· Cover Letter: Outlining one mistake on the passport form.
· Declaration:Completed and signed.
· My Current Passport: Valid Passport from the US.
·
Copy of Mother’s Current Passport: Photocopy of my mother’s current British passport.
· My Mother’s Old Passport:Her last British passport (expired).
· My Birth Certificate: Original version from Holland with translations.
· My US Certificate of Birth Abroad: Original document of birth showing parents information.
· My US Driver’s License: A photocopy of my US driver’s license.
· Mother’s Birth Certificate:Long Form replacement version from “General Register’s Office”
· · · Mother’s Birth Certificate:A notarized copy of her original Birth Certificate.
· · · · · · · I provided this in addition to the replacement copy from GRO just in case.
· Parent’s Marriage Certificate: I believe this was not required as I am receiving citizenship by descent through my Mother but I included a notarized copy just in case.
· Mother’s Green Card & US Driver’s License: Mother’s US Green Card and Driver’s License. I know this is not required but I wanted to provide it in in case it helped.
· My Grandparents Information: Typed page within cover letter with Grandparents information (place of birth, dates, etc).
· 4 Passport Photos: I included 4 (2 sets) just to make sure you would have acceptable ones. Taken at wallgreens and hand cut to the specs (hopefully close enough to correct measurements).
· Explanation For Not Applying From Country of Birth: Provided with the “Cover Letter”.
· Countersignature Photocopy of Passport: Photocopy of countersignature’s passport cover page.

I put sticky notes on each document, explaining what it was. I included background information which I printed out, as well as a very detailed cover letter.

Concerns:
1) On the passport application it asks for my parents British passport information. I entered this for both my mother and my father; however, only my mother has a British passport. I entered my fathers US passport information mistakenly. I spoke to the HMPO and they said write a cover letter explaining the issue and sign it - which I did.

2) I printed the passport application / declaration form in color. After I sent it and logged in online, it says under "TIPS" to print in black and white. Will the application be declined due to being in color?

3) My countersigner signed and put the date as MM/DD/YYYY (02/12/2015). She changed it on the form to be DD/MM/YYYY (12/02/2015) but just put a 1 through the 0 in the day - it doesn't look bad but just has me worried.

4) Passport Photos: I got these done at Wallgreens to the correct specifications. The photos were hand cut to the actual size requested (or very close to)... there were originally 2 photos per sheet but Wallgreens cut them to the British specifications, is that OK?

Questions:
1) Does anyone have any concerns about my concerns, or do you think the steps I took with the cover letter will be OK? Is it OK that the photos are the actual specifications?

2) What is a real "wait time" for first time applications from the US? I have read horror stories of 6-8 months on this forum!!! Should I expect the same, or what is on the site (10-12 weeks)?

3) I tried really hard to be proactive and provide as much information and documents as needed; do you think they will ask for additional information?

4) If they want an interview where would this take place? In the US I hope...

Any insight, guidance, thoughts would be extremely appreciated.

Last edited by bazinga; Feb 17th 2015 at 8:18 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 7:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying For First British Passport from the US: Timing, Questions, and Concerns.

Originally Posted by bazinga

<--snip-->

Questions:
1) Does anyone have any concerns about my concerns, or do you think the steps I took with the cover letter will be OK? Is it OK that the photos are the actual specifications?
Not particularly. If your passport examiner does want to be picky then they'll be in touch. Keep an eye on your email including your junk folder.

2) What is a real "wait time" for first time applications from the US? I have read horror stories of 6-8 months on this forum!!! Should I expect the same, or what is on the site (10-12 weeks)?
As a first time overseas adult applicant you should expect a reasonably long wait. However as you were not born in a high risk country nor are you applying from one then it should be within the normal service standards.

3) I tried really hard to be proactive and provide as much information and documents as needed; do you think they will ask for additional information?
Depends on the individual examiner. The requirements have become a lot stricter since overseas passport processing was repatriated to the UK but you have been pretty thorough in the documents you have supplied. A belt-and-braces approach would have been to first obtained a consular birth certificate but it's not required. Again if you get a fussy examiner then they will contact you if they want further information.

4) If they want an interview where would this take place? In the US I hope...
Don't worry, if they do want to conduct a face-to-face interview (unlikely) then it will be done at your local British consulate.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Applying For First British Passport from the US: Timing, Questions, and Concerns.

Thank you for the reply, BritInParis.

I guess I will just wait and see, hoping for the best and a quick turnaround. I am mostly concerned about the photos and error on the form. But I am known to worry about unnecessary things!
Old Feb 18th 2015, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife just recently received her first British passport. The time elapsed between sending the package off by USPS first class international, and receiving the passport by DHL, was just under 2 weeks.

Last edited by Peter124; Feb 18th 2015 at 3:24 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peter124
My wife just recently received her first British passport. The time elapsed between sending the package off by USPS first class international, and receiving the passport by DHL, was just under 2 weeks.
Thanks Peter! That is incredibly fast for her first passport abroad! Did you do the application online or all through paper/post? Since this was her first passport what supporting documents did you send and how did she have claim to citizenship (descent or marriage through you)?

I think I am OK and in good shape as it relates to documents; but I am really fretting with the countersignature and passport photos. On top of the date problem I spoke of before I realized that her countersignature while signed within the box did go all the way to the end... so the pen mark touches the inside of the black box. I added a picture of how it looked.

I am probably worrying about nothing and at this point there is nothing I can do. I will just be very frustrated if this is delayed and becomes a logn drawn out process. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails Applying For First British Passport from the US: Timing, Questions, and Concerns.-sig.jpg  
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, we were amazed how fast this happened!

My wife filled out the application and paid the fee online via the website. Then she collected the documents, and I mailed them off. We found that the various web pages have different versions of which documents are needed, so in the end I phoned Durham. I was able to speak to a very helpful lady quite quickly. She pointed me to this web page:

http://tinyurl.com/o8lwajk

The requirements for all the difference situations are set out quite clearly. As I recall, we sent the following:

- everything with a check mark on the first line of case #2 of the linked document
- her father's birth certificate, and his marriage certificate to her mother (from table B)
- letter from employer (from table C)
- our marriage certificate (from table C, change of name)

We had to have a couple of tries to get the passport photos correct. On the first set, the dimensions of my wife's head were outside tolerance, even though the overall size was OK. Both attempts were at the same branch of Walgreens, but evidently the first person didn't know how to use the machine!

Good luck with your application!
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Fantastic - thanks for the update Peter! The information is very informative. I still can't get over the turnaround time you experienced!

I did review the document you referenced while filling out my application and gathering my documents. I also provided everything with a check mark and more supporting documentation - so I think I will be good with documentation.

I anticipate having issues with my photos as well, hopefully if I need to retake them it will be as fast and smooth as a process as you had. When you sent your second set of photos did you have to have then countersigned again?
Old Feb 20th 2015, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't send the first set of photos. I checked them when my wife came back from Walgreens and saw that they didn't meet the requirements. She was not happy about being told she needed to go back.

But I think I am forgiven since she got her passport so quickly!

From your description of the photo countersignature I think you'll be OK. I'm sure the examiners are used to seeing confusion over date formats US-UK.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again Peter! I am just waiting for USPS to deliver the documents. I sent them on Tuesday morning from Pennsylvania using Priority Express (which cost $50) and it looks like the documents won't arrive until Monday.

Hoping for the best.