Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for dual citizenship/passport renewal?

Applying for dual citizenship/passport renewal?

Old May 14th 2010, 6:51 pm
Brit in OK

Nightkd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for dual citizenship/passport renewal?

I'm pregnant and my daughter is due mid June, we'd like to apply for dual citizenship for her and have been told it's as simple as applying for a British passport for her? (To clarify - I'm a British Citizen, hubby is USC and baby will be born in the US)... Is that true? Also is it worth applying for a foreign birth certificate?

I also need to change the name on my passport to my married name, can I do this at the same time?

What sort of costs am I looking at for doing this? Any clarification of the process much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 15th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Applying for dual citizenship/passport renewal?

Your daughter will have a US birth certificate and you will need to obtain a US passport as the US only views dual nationals as US citizens although it does accept that citizens may have dual nationality.

You can choose to register your daughter with the UK embassy and obtain a UK birth certificate for a birth abroad however I think you can go ahead and obtain a British passport for your child without this but it's nice to have especially if you ever decide to move back to or live in the UK. It's been a while for me so they may have changed this. Have a look at the embassy website for more info - I think to call them is quite expensive