Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Wikiposts

Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Old Jan 10th 2005, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Originally Posted by adeshell
Out of interest, after you've got US citizenship, which passport do you use to go back and forth? Or do you use both? I was going to use my UK passport, but then I would probably have to screw around with Visa Waiver and all that malarky to get back in????
USA, I am led to believe unless you like courting grief.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 6:26 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, after you've got US citizenship, which passport do you use to go back and forth? Or do you use both? I was going to use my UK passport, but then I would probably have to screw around with Visa Waiver and all that malarky to get back in????
Its easy, if you are a UK/US dual citizen living in the US use US passport to leave the US, UK passport to enter the UK and the US passport to leave the UK and enter US.

Always carry both passports but never present them together unless you are
specifically asked. To US officials yo are a US citizen and a UK citizen to UK officials
and you can chose how to represent yourself to anyone else.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 6:34 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

You travel into the US showing your US passport and into the UK showing your UK passport. Other countries - take your pick. Use the one that gives you the best benefits. For example using your US passport you can stay in New Zealand for 3 months without a visa, but if you use your UK passport you can stay for 6 months.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 7:46 am
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

So there are no Immigration Hitlers wondering why your US passport doesn't have a UK Immigration stamp on then?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 7:54 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

So there are no Immigration Hitlers wondering why your US passport doesn't have a UK Immigration stamp on then?
Immigration has never asked me why I don't have a UK entry stamp in my US passport
or a US stamp on my UK passport. Generally speaking the passports are scanned at immigration so I assume they're aware of all your details, but the important point is that you are doing nothing wrong in choosing which passport to show. If someone does ask the question why you don't have stamps in the passports simply answer truthfully that you have both US and UK citizenship and show the passports if asked.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I wouldn't join the army over there, they only give you a little knife to defend yourself.
Aside from the hollow monutains with tanks and fighter jets, there is also a Swiss law that requires every household (of Swiss citizens) to own a rifle, and to have someone trained to use it.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Does any one think that age should have abearing on this decision. ....
At the risk of sounding morbid, I would say that becoming a USC would be more important towards the end of your life (as well as getting a US will in place) because I understand that taxes on inheritance and life insurance are adversely impacted if you are not a USC, as some families of World Trade Center vicitms discovered post 9/11.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by nun
.... If someone does ask the question why you don't have stamps in the passports simply answer truthfully that you have both US and UK citizenship and show the passports if asked.
I heard that a US immigration official has absolute power and discretion to confiscate non-US passports from USCs, and so you should never admit to having a non-US passport. It is non of US immigration's business why your passport has no stamp from another country(ies) in it (some do, some don't, and it may depend on whether you fly or drive in - fly to Germany they'll stamp a US passport, take the ferry/chunnel and drive in from the UK, and the German authorities won't even know you've arrived), and in any case they are only interested in your status as a USC and your right to enter the US, so I seriously doubt anyone would ever look for stamps.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 10th 2005 at 10:46 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:56 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I heard that a US immigration official has absolute power and discretion to confiscate non-US passports from USCs,
Then you complain to the nearest UK embassy
and secondly apply for a new passport.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:00 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

I heard that a US immigration official has absolute power and discretion to confiscate non-US passports from USCs, and so you should never admit to having a non-US passport. It is non of US immigration's business why your passport has no stamp from another country(ies) in it (some do, some don't, and it may depend on whether you fly or drive in - fly to Germany they'll stamp a US passport, take the ferry/chunnel and drive in from the UK, and the German authorities won't even know you've arrived), and in any case they are only interested in your status as a USC and your right to enter the US, so I seriously doubt anyone would ever look for stamps.
This is an urban myth. Any other passport is the property of that Government and it
is legal for a US citizen to have another passport. The State Department recognises dual citizen status
Old Jan 11th 2005, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by nun
This is an urban myth. Any other passport is the property of that Government and it
is legal for a US citizen to have another passport. The State Department recognises dual citizen status
It is not an urban myth, somebody who used to post here had a friend "lose" her British passport at US immigration. In any case do you think that the US government gives a stuff whether Her Majesty's Government claims ownership of a passport? If you want to argue the toss with a US immigration official I'd like to come and watch.

And finally, whilst the State Department acknowledges dual citizenship this has nothing to do with the legal requirement for US citizens to enter and leave the US using (only) a US passport.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 5:45 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

It is not an urban myth, somebody who used to post here had a friend "lose" her British passport at US immigration. In any case do you think that the US government gives a stuff whether Her Majesty's Government claims ownership of a passport? If you want to argue the toss with a US immigration official I'd like to come and watch.
My wife did and I laughed like a hyena.

We're driving back from Canada at Sarnia.

I handed my passport over and he looked at the I-551 and handed it back, then looked at her passport.

"What was the purpose of your trip to Canada"

she was in the drivers seat and replied
"That's none of your goddamned business, This is my country and I don't need to justify getting back into it."

"I'm sorry.........."

"Look", she said "Ask him all the questions you want, but I'm quite within my rights for safe on expeditious passage into my own country."

we were delayed about an hour in secondry inspection
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:08 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

It is not an urban myth, somebody who used to post here had a friend "lose" her British passport at US immigration.
Yeah, it can't be an urban myth if it happened to a friend of a friend.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:11 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to argue the toss with a US immigration official I'd like to come and watch.
I come to wonder whether the average American actually understands that this brainless arrogance at the border makes them more isolated, more paranoid and poorer while not contributing anything to homeland security or the problems of illegal immigration?

Probably not...
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Manc
My wife did and I laughed like a hyena.
..... we were delayed about an hour in secondry inspection
I've changed my mind about wanting to watch - I don't have that long to spare!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.