Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applied for AOS/EAD 5 mths ago - no news.

Applied for AOS/EAD 5 mths ago - no news.

Old Apr 27th 2002, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Magellan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applied for AOS/EAD 5 mths ago - no news.

My K-1 visa and work permit expired December. I submitted my EAD and I485 within 90 days of getting married (the INS have cashed the checks) but have received no receipt for them and no news.

Looking at other replies in this forum it seems the best thing to do now is go in person to the local INS office (Seattle) and wait in line for a letter extending my work permit until the EAD comes through. And I can see the waiting time for the AOS will be about 16 months, not the 3 months that the INS initially suggested years ago when I started planning this.

While I am without current valid documentation in my passport, can I leave the US on vacation and re-enter, even to Canada (which is temptingly close), or do I need some other paperwork ?

Also, my wife and I have combined our names, but Social Security in the US will not accept my name change without INS documentation, which I can't get yet. Has anyone been able to change their name with the UK embassy and then use that to change it with Social Security ?

One final question, and I hope I'm not exceeding my quota here: if I move state before the AOS comes through, will my case go back to the bottom of the pile in my new state ?

Thanks for any advice.

David.
Old Apr 27th 2002, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Inaleda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applied for AOS/EAD 5 mths ago - no news.

I have a similar case. I have never received a NOA and a receipt from INS.It could be a real problem.
So , since you have the money orders the best thing to do is to go the the post office where you got them and to ask for the copies of the original ones.It is not expensive but could take some time.
Once you have these copies you will have an official proof that INS has cashed your money .
Otherwise you could line this huge line and get no infrormation from INS as we did many times.
You can`t leave the country withough an Advance Parole. In some INS. like in Chicago they wouldn`t issue one without the receipt, (and I believe in many other place too) , that`s why it is really important to have the copies of the money orders. Then they can`t tell you anything.
I know that it usually takes around a month to get this NOA and receipt, but some of us never get it.
Old Apr 29th 2002, 12:10 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: Applied for AOS/EAD 5 mths ago - no news.

"Magellan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My K-1 visa and work permit expired December. I submitted my EAD and I485 within 90
    > days of getting married (the INS have cashed the checks) but have received no
    > receipt for them and no news.
    >
    > Looking at other replies in this forum it seems the best thing to do now is go in
    > person to the local INS office (Seattle) and wait in line for a letter extending my
    > work permit until the EAD comes through. And I can see the waiting time for the AOS
    > will be about 16 months, not the 3 months that the INS initially suggested years
    > ago when I started planning this.

Yes to the get in line part. Maybe for the timescale, things fluctuate so much.
Golden rule though is that things change so quickly, you can't rely on information
obtained a few years ago!!!

> While I am without current valid documentation in my passport, can I leave the US
    > on vacation and re-enter, even to Canada (which is temptingly close), or do I need
    > some other paperwork ?

You need advance parole - form I-131, make sure you ask for multiple entries; you'll
need to renew each year. Do *not* leave the US without it, however close Canada may
appear to be it's going to appear to be a world away if you leave without AP and get
denied entry returning to the US (not forgetting that you would have abandoned the
I-485 in the process).

> Also, my wife and I have combined our names, but Social Security in the US will not
    > accept my name change without INS documentation, which I can't get yet. Has anyone
    > been able to change their name with the UK embassy and then use that to change it
    > with Social Security ?

The SSA doesn't need your name changed with the INS or any other organization, they
need proof of your current status. Wait till you get the EAD then go in with your
marriage certificate.

> One final question, and I hope I'm not exceeding my quota here: if I move state
    > before the AOS comes through, will my case go back to the bottom of the pile in my
    > new state ?

No.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.